Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Charcoal toothpaste

(10 Posts)
Stoker48 Mon 21-Dec-20 16:49:50

Has anyone used this and what’s your verdict, please.
A local chemist chain has a pack of this plus a toothbrush for only £1.00.
Seems a bargain ....

Funnygran Mon 21-Dec-20 16:53:40

I asked my dentist about charcoal toothpaste last year. He told me it was hyped up and I shouldn’t use it so I never bought any.

Chewbacca Mon 21-Dec-20 17:00:13

I bought some, used it and wasn't too impressed. I asked my dentist about it when I went for a dental appointment in September, and he said that it was no better, or worse, than any other brand. But it makes a hell of a mess of your sink when you spit it out and your toothbrush looks filthy!

25Avalon Mon 21-Dec-20 17:01:34

My mother told me her father used to clean his teeth with soot. He had all his teeth except one in his sixties.

ExD Mon 21-Dec-20 17:11:00

I've heard of people using soot. I also bought some charcoal toothpaste but really didn't like the taste so after using it a couple of times I threw it out.
I remember buying some red toothpaste in my teens, it dyed your gums pink and the contrast made your teeth look whiter. The effect didn't last long so that was a waste of money too.

Stoker48 Tue 22-Dec-20 15:48:33

Thank you for your replies.
I quickly made my mind up after reading them.
Cheers

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 15:51:09

I suppose at £1 it's worth trying for yourself.

I bought a small tube in a 3 for 2 offer on travel sizes but didn't like it much.

Alishka Fri 25-Dec-20 12:48:37

I remember using that in the late sixties. Also that red toothpaste which coloured your gums, supposedly making your teeth look whiter by comparison.
Oh! see that ExD remembers the red stuff too!
Things we did,eh?

lemsip Sun 27-Dec-20 11:46:04

yes, my older sister used 'Gordons' toothpaste which was red! she was at work so could afford all the latest of things!

lemsip Sun 27-Dec-20 11:56:34

correction; Gordon Moore's red toothpaste! just googled it!......I wouldn't try the charcoal one as I imagine it would be a job to get rid of the colour totally.