Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Storing potatoes

(62 Posts)
TwinLolly Wed 23-Dec-20 12:31:31

Help! My potatoes keep walking away.

I've tried almost every trick in the book: keep them out of light (they are in a dark cloth bag in a cupboard, out of their net bag or plastic bag), keep them cool (yes, they are in a cool place), add a bit of kitchen roll (I've been there, tried it including wrapping each tatoe in a piece of kitchen roll), put in an apple with the potatoes, keep away from bananas and onions....

I've tried all of the above suggestions but still the potatoes want to walk away.

Any other suggestions (apart from trying to grow my own ...)?

Thanks in advance. x

4allweknow Thu 24-Dec-20 10:48:52

Tried all your attempts too without success. To think I used to buy a sack of potatoes when family was at home and I can't recall the growing legs problem. Now I just buy a small amount of baby potatoes and keep them in the fridge. If I want mashed pots again I buy a smaller aniut and use them quickly. A neighbour put me on to frozen pots for mashingand must admit they are fine. Keep a bag in reserve now.

Scottiebear Thu 24-Dec-20 10:48:53

I can't understand it. When I was young my mother bought large bags of potatoes which lasted ages. I only buy small bags but no matter how I store them they don't seem to keep long and I end up throwing some out (recycle). I suppose my mum had 5 people to feed and we ate potatoes virtually every day, so maybe she just got through them quickly.

4allweknow Thu 24-Dec-20 10:50:05

Amount not aniut!

Cambia Thu 24-Dec-20 11:06:06

I read the other day that you should put some mint in with them to stop them sprouting. Haven’t tried it yet though!

Alexa Thu 24-Dec-20 11:07:22

I open up the plastic bag asap

Theoddbird Thu 24-Dec-20 11:10:18

My dad used to keep them in a sack in the shed...

HootyMcOwlface Thu 24-Dec-20 11:16:01

I put mine in the salad drawer in the bottom of the fridge. Since I’ve been doing that they’ve kept for ages with none sprouting.

Nannan2 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:18:49

One son wont eat them unless i make chips-(17yr old) other (22) refuses to have anything he considers 'leftovers' which would include any type of 'heres some i made/prepared earlier' such as pre- cooked or even peeled & kept in fridge! It drives me mad all this fussiness! I didn't raise them like this!??

Nannan2 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:21:02

He wont even let me serve frozen mash!?

mar76 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:21:44

I buy a sack of red potatoes and keep sack closed in garage and they seem to keep alright.

Grannygrumps1 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:29:01

I keep mine in the bottom of the fridge. They keep for 2/3 weeks.

Grandmabeach Thu 24-Dec-20 11:51:06

Unwashed potatoes with soil still on them works best but I keep mine in a sack in the garage which seems to work well. If they start to sprout I turn them into roast potatoes - parboil, half roast, cool quickly, freeze then take them out as needed and roast from frozen. Best roasties I have ever cooked.

annifrance Thu 24-Dec-20 12:02:33

We grow many kilos of potatoes. They usually last us until about March. We harvest them end July early August then store them unwashed in big paper animal feed sacs, making sure they do not have a plastic lining. They are then stored in a dark aireated place and bring in a few at a time.

Some of them sprout a little but they are fine to eat. Not many go rotten.

Our friends that we do the pigs with, went to the local potato growing area and bought a ton of end of season potatoes for very little money. The pigs eat cooked potatoes every day so this seemed a bargain.

The four of us spent three days sorting them, knocking off sprouts and chucking the rotten ways. patted ourselves on the back as job well done.

Three months later when we were ready to feed them to the new piglets they were a stinking heap!! A salutory tale! Not so much the money but all that hard work.

Alioop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:16:55

I have a cloth potato bag with a drawstring and I put them in it and hang on a hook in the garage. I live alone so don't use an awful lot.

Quilty Thu 24-Dec-20 12:39:14

Red potatoes bought from Aldi keep well.

Conan Thu 24-Dec-20 12:53:13

Hello this is my first posting and I am fairly new to my tablet. It is in the wrong thread I know but I have a question I am on my own for Christmas so just bought a chicken yesterday, tomorrow I will cook it. But I see the use by date is te 28th would anyone keep it this long before cooking it. I googled it an d it said use within two days?

Lucy127 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:57:30

Mine last for weeks. Keep loose in vegetable rack lying in very cold, dark pantry. Alternatively in frost free garage or shed. Lying separately on top of linen or cotton tea towel and covered by another tea towel. No plastic, no paper. Good luck.

Toffeesmum Thu 24-Dec-20 12:59:04

Out of all the messages one fact comes out, that the unwashed ones last better. I live on my own but bought a large paper sack of Marfona from a farm that had started to do veg box deliveries. They were brilliant .... I’m on my second bag since March, and they still haven’t sprouted.

Toffeesmum Thu 24-Dec-20 13:01:48

Hi Conan. It should be ok. Just give it a good sniff to see if it smells ok

Jillybird Thu 24-Dec-20 13:51:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NannyC1 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:27:29

Get some hay and put a layer or 2 in a brown paper bag with the potatoes in between and covered. I 've done this with the ones I harvested in summer and they are fine.

hulahoop Thu 24-Dec-20 16:11:07

If you cooking it tomorrow it should keep a few days
Portion of up and put in fridge or freeze some for stir fries.
If you go to forums you can find different topics which cover most things .welcome Conan .

N4n4 Thu 24-Dec-20 17:42:00

My way is foolproof: wrap each individual potato in Egyptian cotton (the higher the thread count the better), 3 layers are better than one or two; then keep in a dark, unheated garage or outhouse, and then most importantly, make sure that each potato is at least 2 metres away from it's nearest neighbour - in that why, although they have eyes, and can therefore see, they do not have ears (they are not corn), and potatoes are so softly spoken that with that safe distance, they cannot hear when any of the other potatoes start talking about it being time to sprout (sprout as in putting out shoots, nothing to do with Brussels), so most of your spuds - that is short for (Christmas)s Puds - will stay nice and fresh for your roast dinner tomorrow. Happy Christmas all wink

Hetty58 Thu 24-Dec-20 17:54:43

I get them straight from the farm, covered in mud in a brown paper sack (so they're nice and fresh to begin with).

The sack goes on the garage floor (very cold in there, but frost free) so they're in a cool dark place.

I take just what I need into the kitchen.

If any go wrinkled - I just plant them.

Never a problem!

MayBee70 Thu 24-Dec-20 18:59:26

Conan

Hello this is my first posting and I am fairly new to my tablet. It is in the wrong thread I know but I have a question I am on my own for Christmas so just bought a chicken yesterday, tomorrow I will cook it. But I see the use by date is te 28th would anyone keep it this long before cooking it. I googled it an d it said use within two days?

That’s why it’s important to have a fridge thermometer. I found that the cream I bough from the milkman kept going off until I realised that it had to be kept below 4 degrees and my fridge had gone up to 5.