Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Alexa

(33 Posts)
nannyH Sat 26-Dec-20 16:10:46

We have been given an echo-dot as a surprise Christmas present. Just wondering what Alexa can do for us apart from music and are there any pitfalls to be wary of? Advice from GNs before I switch it on, please!!!

nadateturbe Wed 30-Dec-20 06:24:01

Thanks FannyCornforth I'll try that (stopping after a time)
I think I am limited as I can't download the Alexa App. Even my new laptop tells me it is incompatible. So am unable to get much info on what my Echo Show can do.
But I am enjoying music, a much wider variety than usual, radio and audible and building playlists on youtube. As I have a screen I can watch as well.
I feel I should be saying please and thank you. It seems rude not to. I did say thank you and Alexa answered You're very welcome!

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Dec-20 05:20:34

Hello Urms you can stipulate how long she does / plays anything - radio, book etc.
Just say 'Alexa, stop playing after 30 minutes' or whatever. She'll repeat your instruction back to you so that you know she understands, and then just do it.
She's amazing. I love them!

Urmstongran Tue 29-Dec-20 22:44:03

Do you stipulate how long to play them for Shrub or are the waves still lapping the shores when you wake up?

Shrub Tue 29-Dec-20 22:26:43

I ask her to play Ocean Sounds, it puts me to sleep beautifully.

annodomini Tue 29-Dec-20 22:04:29

DS1 has Alexa in kitchen and bedrooms and on his smart TV. I use mine in my bedroom and it plays me to sleep. I tell it to stop playing after 20 or 30 minutes by which time I am usually asleep. If I have to be up early, it's also my alarm but normally I listen to the morning news broadcasts.

Sallywally1 Tue 29-Dec-20 20:59:38

I mostly use mine for radio or random music, but she is good for information too, such as travel info. My daughter has a lightbulb linked to Alexa and can tell her to turn on the lights ?!

mokryna Tue 29-Dec-20 20:49:00

Alexa in Germany helped to convict the murderer last week. The recording of his voice proved his presence

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 21:19:20

Kudos to you Megs ?

Megs36 Mon 28-Dec-20 20:28:30

My grandson gave us a Portal for Christmas with the promise of coming to set it up when ,if ever, visiting is allowed again, this afternoon I decided to open the box and read the very brief instructions; after about 4 hours, lots of swearing, and mobile phone messing about, I got it working???. Spoke to grandson, very impressed, and several friends also impressed,
Lately I’ve had a few worries about my mental health, memory and general confusion so I feel very pleased with myself and think I can still cope a bit.
Don’t want to show off but needed to unload to someone who has no real interest.??‍???‍?
Maybe inthe new year Imay have something to look forward .to.
Happy New Year everyone, Stay in ,Stay safe.

MiniMoon Mon 28-Dec-20 10:25:11

I created a group for my Echos and play the radio or a music play list on the Echos in my living room, kitchen and bedroom simultaneously. Currently Scala radio is playing all round the house.

NanaandGrampy Mon 28-Dec-20 09:37:19

We love ours . We have 5 all over the house and we were given an Echo show for Christmas.

We have an apple music subscription linked to our phones and iPads. So we can play music all over the house , even out in my studio at the bottom of the garden.

Our Alexa's are linked to smart bulbs or plugs too so no scrabbling on the floor behind the sofas to turn things on, we just ask Alexa to do it.

Our show lets us video chat with out children and grandchildren too.

We love them!

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 09:16:15

I am a woman, Kate, did you expect anything less? grin

We had Christmas playing in every room, when we were putting up the trees, It felt like being in a shopping mall. Whatever that is!

NanKate Mon 28-Dec-20 09:11:38

What a multi-tasking family you are Mary ?

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 08:12:21

I should have said that our Alexas are linked to our Sonos system and we can play music through both system devices at the same time in different rooms.

NanKate Mon 28-Dec-20 08:01:50

We have 4 Alexas as we like music or the radio all over the house.

I like to listen to Tibetan Bells when I want a half hour rest. DH scurries off as he doesn’t like them. Pan Pipes are very relaxing too, listening now.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Dec-20 07:53:09

Yesterday I signed up to the free trial of Audible and listened for three hours to Barak Obama reading his new book - he has such a great voice!

My problem is how do I get Alexa to resume the book - it doesn't respond to obvious instructions so I had to go to the App to request resume.

MiniMoon Sun 27-Dec-20 10:45:17

Download the Alexa app to your phone. There you will find all the "skills" that Alexa has. Skills are like apps, you enable them (you can do it with your voice). I like playing Pointless, twenty questions, and I listen to the radio. She will play any radio station that you have ever heard of. Current Christmas sounds is playing on mine,

Tweedle24 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:40:47

I use it all the time. I have a regular reminder to feed the cats their evening meal — like Pavlov’s dogs they rush to their food dishes when she pings.

I use her as a radio. As a food timer she is brilliant. When there are several things on the go: she can tell me which item needs attention.

As for surveillance, I don’t worry too much. My mobile has GPS built in. If the government really wants to know what I am doing on my landline, it can listen in. They have records of my birth, medical history, work history, income tax, bank accounts ( if they want it). I must remember not to speak out loud any passwords.

The danger comes, if course if a hostile government gains access to the information stored on these devices.

Marydoll Sun 27-Dec-20 10:02:22

Charleygirl, of course not. I end up standing at the top of the stairs shouting down! That doesn't work either. ?

Franbern Sun 27-Dec-20 09:54:25

Have had my little dot in my bedroom for over a year now and really love it. It is the best bedside clock I have very had, - neat, fades when lights go out. Superb as an alarm and just needs to tell it when you want the alarm on for. Plays my audible books to me. Can control the volume just by telling it to up or down, plays radio stations, tell me the weather for the day, etc. etc.

Mine answers to the name of Computer (I am an old time Treekie), The main Alex in my living room has to answer to name of Alexa as it is positioned under my tv there and got itself into confusion whenever I played any Star Episodes and characters were giving their 'Computer' instructions.

So taken with Alexa that my Chrissie pressie this year from my kids was one that goes into my car (fitting carried out by SiL). So, now, I can - by voice - instruct it to read book, play radio, even control my google maps . I really do love these great gadgets.

Charleygirl5 Sat 26-Dec-20 19:19:51

Marydoll are your orders carried out?!

Marydoll Sat 26-Dec-20 19:15:23

I play my Spotify playlist on my phone through Alexa, when I'm pottering about in the kitchen.

I also use it to speak to DH downstairs, when I'm in bed unwell and need something.
I just say, Alexa drop into the living room and issue my orders!!! wink

Urmstongran Sat 26-Dec-20 18:56:43

My 8y old grandson loves to ask ‘tell me a knock-knock joke’.
Except he says ‘please would you ...’
?

chelseababy Sat 26-Dec-20 18:49:47

Thanks Floradora9 I didnt know about Alexa reading me my kindle books. Will be useful for some book group items I'm not keen on.

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Dec-20 17:36:58

I love the question of the day quiz and most of the other suggestions given up thread.