Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why are there no cotton vests?

(22 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 07-Jan-21 18:06:57

Jess20

Thanks all! I ordered some mens vests from M and S but they're so looseweave they are see through and look, quite frankly ridiculous so I'm going to return them, waste of postage. Should perhaps mention that I cant cope with the elastic in many items and can't, for that reason, wear a bra as just about every one has some elastic next to the skin and even with a little sleeve to thread the back fastener through I end up with a rash. All I want is a nice medium thickness t-cotton type vest! Yes, good idea t-shirts - have ordered some sleeveless ones from Saltrock which appear to be cotton. Also just ordered the LaRedoute ones NotSpagetti, thanks for that. Will next be trying Cotton Traders and Debenhams. If I end up with half a dozen that are wearable that's fine as I use them so much. The trouble with strappy ones is that much of the fabric and seams is not cotton and gives me a rash. I'd love to fins some nice 100% cotton bras or even bralets if anyone know of any that really are 100% cotton. Thanks Gransnetters for suggestions which I'll be following up smile

Can’t stand labels or anything. I even itch at the thought of wearing something itchy. Lace is the stuff of nightmares!

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 15:47:55

Oh and Superdry do a pointelle one that's cotton:
www.superdry.com/womens/vests/details/172052/essential-pointelle-tank-top-white

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 15:42:09

Here's another:

uk.triumph.com/vest-tank-top/katia-basics/10181826.html

PamelaJ1 Thu 07-Jan-21 15:29:34

If you have any qualms about the origin of your vests you may be interested in this

Jess20 Thu 07-Jan-21 15:04:40

Thanks all! I ordered some mens vests from M and S but they're so looseweave they are see through and look, quite frankly ridiculous so I'm going to return them, waste of postage. Should perhaps mention that I cant cope with the elastic in many items and can't, for that reason, wear a bra as just about every one has some elastic next to the skin and even with a little sleeve to thread the back fastener through I end up with a rash. All I want is a nice medium thickness t-cotton type vest! Yes, good idea t-shirts - have ordered some sleeveless ones from Saltrock which appear to be cotton. Also just ordered the LaRedoute ones NotSpagetti, thanks for that. Will next be trying Cotton Traders and Debenhams. If I end up with half a dozen that are wearable that's fine as I use them so much. The trouble with strappy ones is that much of the fabric and seams is not cotton and gives me a rash. I'd love to fins some nice 100% cotton bras or even bralets if anyone know of any that really are 100% cotton. Thanks Gransnetters for suggestions which I'll be following up smile

Hithere Mon 04-Jan-21 04:42:41

Welbeck

Very true!

It is called the pink tax

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Jan-21 01:39:34

www.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350044264.aspx

Hetty58 Sun 03-Jan-21 22:46:07

welbeck you are spot on about the mark up for women. I have some nice men's slippers (wide feet) and gloves (big hands) that are good quality and were very cheap too.

Often, in online sales, many items that are sold out, have equivalents easily found - in the men's department.

Grannynannywanny Sun 03-Jan-21 22:20:49

I recycle my summer sleeveless tee shirts during the winter if it’s really cold.

If that fails I shake the mothballs from my liberty bodice and get it on ?

MayBee70 Sun 03-Jan-21 22:13:27

I wear some sleeveless t shirts that I bought from Top Shop over thirty years ago as vests. They’re still going strong!

Justwidowed Sun 03-Jan-21 22:08:38

Straps are adjustable as well .

Justwidowed Sun 03-Jan-21 22:07:57

I bought some from George at Asda .Two for £5 with narrow straps. In white or black ,good value and wash well.

annodomini Sun 03-Jan-21 22:07:17

Try searching 'cotton vests' on Ebay. You should be able to find a style that suits you.

PollyDolly Sun 03-Jan-21 21:57:32

Debenhams do a triple pack of men's pure cotton vests, on offer due to store closure; I paid less that £15 and they wash really well and are a good length too.

25Avalon Sun 03-Jan-21 21:33:10

Have you tried Cotton Traders? They have a sale on at the moment as well.

welbeck Sun 03-Jan-21 21:30:05

sorry, didn't mean to sound tetchy.
but it annoys me, that a greater mark-up is put on so-called women's clothes, as women seem to be conned into paying more for basically the same item.
also with toiletries, razors, tissues, socks, etc.
targeted marketing. don't give in to them.

Auntieflo Sun 03-Jan-21 21:27:49

Have you tried New Look?

welbeck Sun 03-Jan-21 21:25:40

clothes are clothes, they have no gender, they don't reproduce; now there's an idea...beyond recycling !
anyway, if the ones that suit you are called men's, and probably cheaper thereby, what's the problem. buy them.

Hetty58 Sun 03-Jan-21 21:15:32

I recently ordered a pack of five long vest tops (100% cotton) £26, (free delivery) from Freemans. They are very nice.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Jan-21 21:02:00

I haven’t worn a vest since I was about 11??
I wear thermal t shirts when it’s very cold

Grannynise Sun 03-Jan-21 21:00:37

I buy sleeveless 100% cotton t shirts in the summer and use those in colder weather as vests. Would that be an idea?

Jess20 Sun 03-Jan-21 20:06:46

I've scoured the internet for a nice cotton vest and can only find ones which contain other fabrics like spandex, fleece, thermal stuff or polyester or have lacey trims and flimsy straps etc. I just want a sensible 100% cotton comfortable sleeveless vest where the seams don't make me itch and it's long enough to tuck in to my jeans. The ones in Gap look OK but sold out, M&S had really low backs which is no good as I want to stay warm! Other places wanted £20+ for a vest and I'm not prepared to pay that much unless I know it'll wash well and last a good while. Ended up buying small mens. Anyone else sick and tired of not finding basic items of clothing anywhere?