Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Volunteering

(61 Posts)
colournanny Wed 13-Jan-21 15:27:40

Hi everyone, what do any of you think of volunteering at local secondary school helping the testing of students once they are are back at school I have been asked if I would help but at what risk to myself I amm64 & Hopefully good health

mistymitts Fri 15-Jan-21 11:20:41

Free not from

Santana Fri 15-Jan-21 11:27:26

My GC school is expecting the students to do the

Santana Fri 15-Jan-21 11:28:26

Sorry quick finger! Students doing tests themselves with supervision.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 11:41:25

Oh aren't they just Ellianne. He looked at me Miss! Stop him from looking at me. confused

BlackSheep46 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:48:02

This Government seems to have forgotten a few laws and continues to ride roughshod regardless. Those laws: when I was teaching pre-lockdown no teacher was allowed to touch a pupil in any way, stick a plaster on, give a cuddle to soothe an upset etc etc - all normal humanitarian behaviour was banned. Now it is suggested that anyone can not only touch but vaccinate a child without the parent/guardian being present !! Oner 18 is still a child in the eyes of the law so hands off - find another way Government !!
For your own protection, if this crazy idea does go ahead, just be sure the the school covers you against any liability and provides the correct coverings - or you are in trouble again !!

HillyN Fri 15-Jan-21 11:55:14

Why assume the army personnel will be male?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:12:41

Don't volunteer for anything until you have had both your own vaccinations.

Ellianne Fri 15-Jan-21 12:18:42

HillyN

Why assume the army personnel will be male?

I guess because Hilly it is mainly girls who come running to report or even invent stories about males, and, although wrong, it is far less common for them to report their own sex.
15 year old boys could react in the same way towards a female member of the army, but I doubt whether they have the same subtle agenda.
It all goes hand in hand with the attention seeking issue which has been discussed on GN in various threads recently.

Ellianne Fri 15-Jan-21 12:22:01

grandtanteJE65

Don't volunteer for anything until you have had both your own vaccinations.

My feelings exactly.
Sadly they have lost a brilliant volunteer in my DH (ex inspector/army) until he is vaccinated but a risk too far.

henetha Fri 15-Jan-21 13:25:59

Its a wonderful thing to do. I admire you for wanting to volunteer at this risky time . Personally I'd wait until more vaccinations are done and the danger gradually reduces. But good luck to you.

aonk Fri 15-Jan-21 13:31:23

Yes Gagajo I am donating to the food bank each week. There are boxes very near my house and I order something extra in my supermarket delivery.
Regarding adults being present when young people are vaccinated that was never the case in the school where I worked. Parents signed consent forms.

Galaxy Fri 15-Jan-21 13:52:43

The castigating of teenage girls on this thread is really unpleasant.

Jillybird Fri 15-Jan-21 14:05:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 15-Jan-21 14:25:29

I am with Kate49. All the schools I have ever volunteered with paid for the DBS check (usually an enhanced one) but it is correct that you cannot ‘work’ in any educational setting without one (and that is a good rule too)

Galaxy Fri 15-Jan-21 14:32:18

People were talking about girls running to report sexual assault as if that was a problem. I found that unpleasant.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 14:32:44

It's humour galaxy. Of course most girls aren't like that. Just the occasional one. Over the years, I've had a few. Hilarious mostly. One was the epitome of the Catherine Tate 'Lauren' character. I enjoyed being her teacher.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 14:33:42

Not sexual assault! Silly, loud am dram behaviour. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ellianne Fri 15-Jan-21 14:37:16

Galaxy

The castigating of teenage girls on this thread is really unpleasant.

Who is castigating anyone? Just pointing out real life scenarios of which mist educationalists and probably parents are aware anyway.
It is all part of risk assessment. Adults need to protect themselves too.

Galaxy Fri 15-Jan-21 14:55:12

What real life scenario are you talking about, your post showed a complete lack of understanding of the issues. I dont really know where to start in explaining why girls are more likely to report Male staff than female staff.

Ellianne Fri 15-Jan-21 15:06:05

Happy to listen.

Galaxy Fri 15-Jan-21 15:14:05

Because current figures show that 99 % of child sexual abuse is carried out by men. 97 % of violent sexual assault is carried out by men. So the reporting is going to be weighted to those who carry out the crimes. False reporting is very low. I think using the words attention seeking and subtle agenda whilst discussing safeguarding issues just isnt helpful.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 15:21:11

You are of course right Galaxy, because women don't tend to be predators.

But really, I was not referring to sexual assault. I was refering to screamy teenage girl behaviour. It is going on in the room next door to me right now. Shrieking, laughing. Teenage girls DO attention seek. As do teenage boys with punching and horseplay. It is a 'look at me' phase for some teenagers desperate for attention. Of course, others just want to blend in. And some want to be left alone.

Galaxy Fri 15-Jan-21 15:25:33

Yes I wasnt really referring to that bit of the discussion. And am aware I am hijacking ops thread so will stop smile I just think its important the way we talk about safeguarding.

westendgirl Fri 15-Jan-21 16:18:16

Don't volunteer for anything unless you have checked the insurance.It is so important.

NannyC1 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:32:21

Ellianne

I doubt whether the volunteers will be doing the actual testing, more organising the queue of pupils and ticking off the lists. There are even doubts as to whether the army would do the actual tests involving touching pupils in any way. Can you imagine stories from 14 year old girls?
Another issue being considered is what age is considered reliable and responsible enough for the pupil to carry out their own test.

I had my covid19 test by the army and there was absolutely no touching! Also why "14 yr old girls" can't boys of any age make things up! ?