Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

These are a few of my favourite things!

(72 Posts)
Flaxseed Wed 13-Jan-21 19:16:21

(Lighthearted)
I apologise if this has been discussed before!

Years ago, I remember my mum saying she couldn’t drink her tea/coffee out of just any old mug. It had to be one of the finer china ones.
As I get older, I realise I have started to become quite particular, and I too, have a favourite mug. Fine china and not too big. I have a cupboard full of mugs and use just one!

Recently, I have lost my favourite hair scrunchie. I have others but I hate that my favourite one is lost!
I have a favourite towel, spot on the sofa, type of socks, bowl for my breakfast, bra, and type of biro!

Anyone else?

Flaxseed Mon 18-Jan-21 19:12:34

I realised I had another favourite when I went shopping on saturday.
I have a car boot full of reusable shopping bags, yet always pick my ‘favourite’ one - a nylon one from Primark, that I can hang on my shoulder and it folds up into its own little pocket smile

joysutty Sun 17-Jan-21 07:28:47

Yes, I bought a large cup - but not a big mug - with my initial on the front of it from a lovely China shop at Bourton on the Water which means a bit more to me at this time now as we can't just go for the day as living just over an hours drive away.

Rosiebee Sat 16-Jan-21 08:58:05

Favourite mug has pictures of Cape Town all round it and it's the "right" shape. F locker at gym, breakfast bowl and spoon, earrings- although I do make myself wear other lovely ones, but almost a sigh of relief when I pop my long silver drops back in. All these F things feel like a comfort blanket.

Jennyluck Fri 15-Jan-21 22:37:17

Oh yes, favourites mugs, that I don’t like anyone else to use. Drinks are not the same if they’re not in the right mug. Oh and I hate paper coffee cups.
Also the right glass for the right drink.
In the old days when I went in pubs ??? I’m always pleased to be given my vodka and tonic in a nice big glass. Oh, those were the days ???
Also like my parking space at work.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 21:32:29

Oh yes! A favourite burner on the hob!
I saw a post on Facebook regarding this.
Mine is back right.

Yve1 Fri 15-Jan-21 20:34:08

I’m with you on that Pollydolly, I prefer to drink out of white mugs and eat off of white plates and bowls. The drink and food look less appetising on a coloured background.

Shizam Fri 15-Jan-21 20:33:34

Me too with the cups. I have two bone china cups for morning tea (loose leaf from a pot!). Was silently vexed when offspring’s girlfriend used both!
I also have a favourite burner on the hob. Wasn’t happy at Christmas when my helpful elves hogged it!

annodomini Fri 15-Jan-21 19:25:55

One of my very favourite things is a mirror, not a hugely expensive one which I saw in the shop of a famous snowdrop garden in Fife. It's 2ft long by 4ins wide with an art nouveau style motif of two snowdrops. I just had to have it and sent for it after I got home.

threexnanny Fri 15-Jan-21 18:23:55

I thought OH has OCD when he insists on certain cutlery, mugs etc etc, but it seems it's me who is odd as other than my own armchair I don't care what I use.

Purpledaffodil Fri 15-Jan-21 17:36:15

And have we all got favourite masks now? I certainly do. Leopard print from Accessorise, fits really well and so comfy?

Grandma70s Fri 15-Jan-21 17:05:27

I have a favourite pillbox, bought in Venice many years ago. It’s engraved silver, oval and very tactile. If I think I’ve lost it I panic completely. It’s very easy to lose, being small and slippery, but so far I’ve always managed to find it.

AGAA4 Fri 15-Jan-21 17:03:30

For me it is clothes. Favourite underwear set, jumper and nightdress. I am glad to see them when they have been through the wash. Also a pair of comfy old slipper socks.

always glad to see them when they have

3dognight Fri 15-Jan-21 16:51:49

Sara1954 I'm with you. The wrong cup brought up to my bedside by my husband, filled with the wrong sort of tea, ( I like loose leaf tea) would be a very bad start to the day!

I love little tiny stubby pencils, they are so cute when only about one or two inches long, especially if they have a rubber on the end.

Also love glasses cleaner cloths, the old fashioned sort, they were abit like chamois leather? Just love the feel of them.

Dogs with velvety muzzles, so kissable.

I have a old old wooden spoon, which stirs almost everything I make. I have other cleaner newer ones, but they don't stir right.

Polly4t42 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:26:32

I eat my cereal in the morning with my sons old child’s spoon(he is 31 now). It is slightly bigger than a teaspoon, my husband uses a dessert spoon but that’s far too big for me. He uses lots of milk on his cereal while I use less than a tablespoon as hate soggy cereal. We also tend to use some mugs for coffee and different ones for tea.

winterwhite Fri 15-Jan-21 16:25:52

Yes, surely a comfort and continuity thing. I do it mainly with mugs. Similar to little routines? Is it also similar to men using the same old driving gloves (for example) from year's end to year's end and rejecting new ones?

Lizzie44 Fri 15-Jan-21 14:35:22

Papermate pencils with a rubber on the end. I do a lot of puzzles and crosswords and like to have pencils readily to hand.

GrammarGrandma Fri 15-Jan-21 14:13:04

I thought I didn't have any favourites until one of you mentioned a blue Bic pen and I shuddered! Has to be black for me, from a grey Papermate flexi-grip. I buy them by the half dozen and they are known as my "clicky-clickies." Can't be doing with a pen I have to take the cap off!

Aepgirl Fri 15-Jan-21 12:54:20

I have a favourite tea mug - it’s a Quentin Blake, with a frog on it. It was given to me by a really good friend who I don’t now see very often.

My coffee has to be drunk from a mug that my sister used, and I rescued when I had to clear her house after she had died.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:16:12

I have my own cup, spoon and armchair, although the cat disputes ownership of the last with me.

Blossoming Fri 15-Jan-21 11:59:02

No I don’t, it appears to be perfectly normal behaviour.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 11:53:05

Do any of you think that possibly this stuff is the thin end of the OCD wedge? I think it about myself at times.

schnackie Fri 15-Jan-21 11:49:50

Luckily I live alone grin. Favourite cup for coffee (mug), favourite glass mug for tea in the afternoon, huge mug for bedtime hot chocolate, favourite spoon for making coffee. Plates can be anything!+

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 11:44:50

A few of you have reminded me about my favourite flannel too! Not too thick, not too thin wink

readalot Fri 15-Jan-21 11:30:41

My favourite things are my bone China mugs, I have three which I alternate. Tea does taste better out of a China mug. My most favourite thing of all is my Kindle Oasis. I wouldn't be without it.

sweetcakes Fri 15-Jan-21 11:28:14

I'd never really thought about it before but yes, Mug ✔towels ✔chair✔hair clip ✔ only white plates ✔ ?