Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any GP’s and/or line managers please?

(21 Posts)
Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 11:58:07

I tested positive for Covid on 3rd. My 10 days isolation was up this Tuesday but I didn’t feel strong enough to return to work for the rest of this week. Today will be my last sick day and I will return to work on Monday.
My line manager messaged me originally to say I would only need a sick certificate from the end of my isolation period to my return date if it was more than 7 days.
No problem, I thought, as after isolation I will have only been off for 3 working days. So no certificate required.
She has since messaged to say her manager is insisting on a Drs certificate as I have been off for two weeks.
So I rang Drs who said I didn’t need one as it was government advice to self isolate for 10 days, so the period of sickness after this doesn’t warrant one.

Work have again hassled me this morning asking for a certificate and saying they will have to put me on days off for these last 3 days (meaning I will owe them hours) rather than sick days if I don’t produce a certificate!

Does anyone who is right please?!

BigBertha1 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:08:14

Just spoke with DD2 (HR Manager) bit garbled as she was walking the dog in her lunch break. She says you should be able to get an Isolation Note from the NHS website. The manager is asking for some documentation in order to claim SSP. You could self cert for the period after the isolation ended. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this better than me.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 12:19:39

bigbertha1
Thank you so much for asking your DD!
I will look into the isolation certificate. You would have thought my line manager would have known this hmm

Blossoming Fri 15-Jan-21 12:20:20

Your explanation is fine Bertha, link for the NHS Isolation Note here.

111.nhs.uk/isolation-note/

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 13:11:19

Right, so I have got the isolation certificate and uploaded it to her, but she is still insisting on a gp certificate for the three days following my 10 days isolation angry
I really don’t understand why I can’t self certificate for three days! I’m pretty sure GP’s have more than enough to do!

Peasblossom Fri 15-Jan-21 13:35:28

I’ve been trawling through the Internet on this one and everything I’ve read indicates she has got this wrong. The NHS website specifically says in a highlighted section ‘Do not contact your doctor for a Fit To Work note’.

Individual surgeries have also posted this information.

Perhaps reply politely suggesting she needs to provide evidence that contradicts the NHS and your own surgery directions. I think she hasn’t kept herself up to date.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 14:17:55

peasbloosom
I have been looking too but can’t see anything specific to my particular issue confused

She’s very difficult to reason with and also there is a bit of a language barrier which makes it more difficult sad
I think it’s easier just to take these last few days as leave.
It’s too stressful to argue with her (because that’s how it ends up!)

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 14:20:07

I have emailed my Occupational health dept as there’s no answer on the phone. I have an automated reply saying they have a high volume of enquires so a reply could take some time....

Peasblossom Fri 15-Jan-21 14:38:22

Meant to say I’m glad you’re feeling better ?

Tangerine Fri 15-Jan-21 14:40:36

Try emailing your GP or at least the surgery and see if they will give you an actual certificate. They might agree to do it.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-Jan-21 15:54:19

That's a good idea Tangerine, and if they send a forceful reply saying that you don't need one, you can forward the email to your line manager, Flaxseed. I'm sure that this is the last thing you need just now. flowers

Good luck!

MissAdventure Fri 15-Jan-21 16:00:36

I would phone ACAS, although I suspect they're probably busy with just this sort of query.

They are really very helpful, and able to advise then and there on what to do.

Dig your heels in, and don't allow yourself to be browbeaten (if you feel up to it)

B9exchange Fri 15-Jan-21 16:10:07

It seems to be the HR manager that is causing the problem, if your HR person is to be believed. In which case you will get nowhere if you don't speak to the manager instead. Suggest you ask for manager's email, forward the isolation certificate and the link to the relevant advice on the website. Ask for any written proof that you need to provide a certificate, and see what happens.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 19:48:20

Thank you everyone. It really was a stressful afternoon. My line manager can be very difficult and despite trying to compromise, she was still insisting on a drs certificate. I contacted other work colleagues who have different line managers and they have not had the same problem! It seems she had a real ‘bee in her bonnet’!
Anyway, my wonderful GP’s were very sympathetic and have provided a certificate. I can’t begin to tell you how grateful I am.
Thanks for any well wishes too. I feel 100% better now and am so grateful I only had minor symptoms. I vow to never take anything for granted again.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 20:02:38

My GP did me a letter AND emailed it to me last lockdown, so I could email it to my overseas employer.

Would your GP do that, do you think?

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 20:03:09

Sorry, just read your last comment properly. IGNORE ME.

Patsy70 Fri 15-Jan-21 20:08:06

That is so good to hear, Flaxseed, and great that you got some really sound advice on this forum. flowers

welbeck Fri 15-Jan-21 20:19:58

you should not be hassled like this.
now is the time to join a union. it really helps to have that body of expertise, experience and advocacy behind you.
glad it's been resolved.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 21:36:13

welbeck
I am part of a union (RCN) and they were my next port of call had my GP’s not come to my rescue.
You would think being an NHS employee, managers would be more sympathetic. However, I have found them to be anything but.
Only 3 years 2 months until I can retire grin!!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:17:04

Phone your GP again.

Legally, at least in Scotland, there is no way your work can demand a certificate or penalize you for not providing it, if your doctor says it is unnecessary, but they try this on.

This used to drive my GP father mad, as he spent time phoning patients' employers and reading the riot act.

Flaxseed Mon 18-Jan-21 19:07:48

grandtanteJE65

My GP very kindly gave me a certificate.
I’m still annoyed I had to bother them, and I’m pretty sure my line manager was wrong, but at least it’s sorted and I returned to work today.