Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Carrot recipes please

(25 Posts)
janeymooli Mon 18-Jan-21 12:17:55

As James Martin said...if you casserole keep them big, like halves, to stop them going mushy. I also tried carrot hasselbacks with a sage butter - yum!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:12:00

Cut carrots and potatoes into matchstick thin strips.

Place them in a well greased ovenproof bowl.

Add a little water, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic if liked and ground corinader.

Put in a warm (200 degrees celsius) oven and bake until the potatoes are soft. Time 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check that the water doesn't evaporate.

Eat as a side dish or main dish, depending on the quantity.

Nansnet Mon 18-Jan-21 11:00:39

What about a carrot gratin? You can also add other root veg if you prefer. Toss in double cream, garlic, some herbs, season with salt & pepper, sprinkle a mix of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on top, and bake in oven.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 22:39:39

I was just going to plonk them in with the beef casserole tomorrow, in the slow cooker..
I need to be a bit more imaginative.
hmm

TerriT Sat 16-Jan-21 22:38:35

I think cutting them into rounds is “common” but batons is posh! Or is that just me?

MawBe Sat 16-Jan-21 22:38:05

Callistemon

If you eat too many you could go orange.
Well, yellowish

True

Like Donald Trump!

MawBe Sat 16-Jan-21 22:37:28

Actually, now I am going to channel my inner Nigella
After tossing the cooked carrots in a little butter to glaze, serve with fresh sage leaves fried in a little butter.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 22:34:16

MawBe

Cutting them into. rounds
Cutting them into batons grin

Apparently they taste better in batons
according to DD and DN who had an in-depth discussion about it ????

Alishka Sat 16-Jan-21 22:23:09

Reading back at other recipes here, see I forgot to add thyme - thanks 3dognight for the reminder!

Alishka Sat 16-Jan-21 22:19:32

My everyday method of cooking carrots (cos I learned to cook in Forrin Parts where they do things a bit differently) - peel and cut into thick batons. Sweat sliced or minced garlic in olive oil, add carrots and coat with this mix. Add deseeded fresh red or green chili. Add chicken stock cube and enough water to cover. Cook over medium/ low heat until tender. At this point I adjust seasoning for salt if necessary, cos the stock cube contains salt. I'll usually throw in a handful of frozen peas too.

merlotgran Sat 16-Jan-21 20:32:24

Braise them with strips of fennel, add a dash of white wine, lemon juice and sugar and reduce.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 20:10:19

If you eat too many you could go orange.
Well, yellowish

True

MayBee70 Sat 16-Jan-21 19:38:34

I’m still making the carrot and orange jelly I saw on another thread. Really refreshing. And I’ve been using a lot of sweet potato these days and mashed some with carrots and garlic the other day. It was lovely. I always add grated carrots to chilli these days as well.

MawBe Sat 16-Jan-21 18:48:47

Cutting them into. rounds
Cutting them into batons grin

3dognight Sat 16-Jan-21 17:44:08

Carrot and orange soup delicious
Carrot and fresh ginger soup tasty, and the ginger clears your sinuses.
Grated carrot cheese and finely chopped celery, mixed in a bowl with mayo and used as a sandwich filling. I call it 'cheese savoury' and even my husband will eat it!
Roasted carrots in a Pyrex dish with top on, with thyme, caraway, a splash of orange juice and a knob of butter.

Plain steamed carrots, these are the things I do with carrots, and I make sure I never run out of them as I love them!

GrannyLaine Sat 16-Jan-21 17:34:30

Spiced carrot puree - cook carrots till tender with a bit of root ginger, a couple of cloves of garlic. Drain, season with salt and black pepper then mash or puree. Delicious with fish.
We had it with Christmas dinner.

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Jan-21 17:21:09

I roast with a little Muscavado sugar, balsamic vinegar and garlic.

geekesse Sat 16-Jan-21 17:12:28

I’m cooking carrots at the moment, sliced in a wild rabbit stew, along with rabbit (of course), celery, baby onions, mushrooms, mustard, cider, fresh herbs and cream. Does that count?

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 16:13:55

21 exciting things to do with carrots:
1 boil
2 roast
3 soup
4 juice
I'm stuck for ideas now, sorry kittylester

Actually, I googled it and was astonished at the results:
fillyourplate.org/blog/50-creative-ways-use-carrots/
www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/carrot-recipes?slide=309132#309132
www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/carrot-recipes
There are more
Who'd have thought it?

I forgot to order any this week

Marthjolly1 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:00:05

Cook as usual but not overcooked. Drain, return to pan with a knob of butter, a splash of orange juice and a hint of ground cumin or a few carraway seeds. Cook on gentle heat for a couple of minutes before serving.

Nortsat Sat 16-Jan-21 15:43:01

Carrots and swede mashed together with black pepper and some nice butter, as an alternative to potatoes?

kittylester Sat 16-Jan-21 15:10:37

Thank you. I was really hoping for recipes for using carrots with a roast, say.

Grandmabatty Sat 16-Jan-21 14:34:54

I often grate carrot and apple and mix the two to add to salad. This next one is heresy to some. Stovies with added grated carrots.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 14:26:26

I Have a great pasta sauce one with sausage meat and grated carrots ?

kittylester Sat 16-Jan-21 14:20:51

We often have carrots roasted with honey. Anyone got any alternative ways to cook carrots?