Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Multifocal contact lenses

(15 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 26-Jan-21 11:12:16

tanith

Good grief I’m going bonkers I didn't even register you’d said contact lenses please ignore me and my post, sorry.

Ha ha! Me too. I was talking about Nikon glasses not contact lenses.

Chestnut Sun 24-Jan-21 23:47:59

If you pay enough you won't have any trouble. I use Nikon Home and Office which were expensive but I can use them for TV, computer and reading with no trouble at all. They are brilliant. And I've been using them for 6 years with no need to upgrade yet.

GrandmaKT Sun 24-Jan-21 22:54:14

I've been wearing them for about 5 years. It did take several attempts to find the right prescription, and even now it is a bit of a compromise. I can read fine in them and they are great for driving, but if I need to see something in the far distance it's a bit fuzzy.
So much better than glasses for driving, shopping (especially when wearing masks), cycling - everything really! Hope you get on with them!

WW010 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:51:32

I went to try some. They gave me a pair and sent me to walk round the supermarket for 20 mins. It was a revelation! Felt instantly comfortable. Was told to go back for a tuition session on putting them in myself. Covid hit and I’ve never been back. Maybe 2021 could bring a chance to try again ?

Flaxseed Sun 24-Jan-21 22:45:03

I did think I would be getting a different strength for each eye, but the ones I am trialling apparently have different ‘zones’ on the lenses.
I have been told that they might not totally eliminate the need for reading glasses for very small print tho.

I really hope I adjust to them quickly! I’m not very patient grin

baubles Sun 24-Jan-21 22:12:36

Ashcombe I tried that as it worked for a while but in the end my vision wasn’t sharp enough hence the multifocals. Brilliant solution if it works though and far cheaper.

Scentia Sun 24-Jan-21 22:11:33

I have the same as Ashcombe a different strength in each eye works great, that may be what you will be getting.

Ashcombe Sun 24-Jan-21 21:58:37

I have a distant contact lens prescription in my dominant (left) eye with the reading prescription in my right eye. Works for me and no more reading specs!

tanith Sun 24-Jan-21 21:47:54

Good grief I’m going bonkers I didn't even register you’d said contact lenses please ignore me and my post, sorry.

Millitt64 Sun 24-Jan-21 21:37:25

I too have worn them for many years. I was very lucky in that I took to them really easily and had no problems with them at all. I would say tho that the brands can vary in fit and comfort so initially my optician gave me different trial lenses over a period of a few weeks until we hit on the best ones for me which I’ve worn ever since! You’ll love them, they make life so much easier!

Jaxjacky Sun 24-Jan-21 21:31:15

I found with my varifocal glasses, guided by my optician, practising steps was important, it takes a couple of days for your brain to adjust, best of luck.

baubles Sun 24-Jan-21 21:30:25

I’ve worn them in the past and loved them, vision was very good although it took a few tweaks to get the right powers. My eyes are now too dry to tolerate contacts for any length of time but I have been known to endure them for a couple of hours on special occasions but remove them as soon as I got into the car to come home.

FlexibleFriend Sun 24-Jan-21 21:08:14

I took to mine really easily but did insist on my usual make as they seem to be the only ones I get on with. Of course you have to move your eyes as they're attached to your eyeballs. I was also told they may take time to get used to and apparently most people never do. Hope you accept them as easily as I did. I've had mine for a few years now.

tanith Sun 24-Jan-21 20:10:40

I wear varifocals which i think are the same. Took a couple of weeks to get used to them i found moving my eyes rather than my head worked better for me. Now i can wear one pair whatever I'm doing rather carry my reading glasses everywhere with me.

Flaxseed Sun 24-Jan-21 19:43:59

Does anyone wear these?

I am being fitted with some tomorrow and have been told they may be difficult to get used to.

I have worn contact lenses for distance for years, so hopefully won’t find the comfort a problem.

If you wear these, how long did it take to adjust please?