Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sending parcel to EU

(13 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 09-Feb-21 09:12:52

Have you tried Parcels2Go? They find the cheapest carrier.

Katie59 Tue 09-Feb-21 09:08:34

Every country has different rules and usually personal gifts are different to commercial goods.
A few years ago parcels were held by the courier until the taxes were paid which caused a lot of hassle, now it’s all calculated according to destination and paid up front, this service comes at a price.

Tizliz Tue 09-Feb-21 08:45:01

Not sure that the couriers inc taxes, they don’t on shipments to USA - I ship there every month and the taxes depend on the state and the customer pays.

Katie59 Mon 08-Feb-21 18:10:07

The big international shippers like UPS or DHL include import taxes in the shipping cost, not sure about the others.
Make sure you get the paperwork filled out correctly.
It’s much easier to send cash than presents.

Tizliz Mon 08-Feb-21 17:27:14

The recipient may be charged customs duty and will be charged vat if goods are vatable. Many people are refusing to accept parcels due to this - works both ways

Ramblingrose22 Mon 08-Feb-21 16:03:57

Help - I've also got a parcel to send to the EU. Luckily it's under 2kg.

The CN22 form asks if the contents are a commercial item and I don't know what that means. I am returning goods I bought to an Amazon seller, not selling the items to someone else. If I'd known they were based in the EU I wouldn't have bought the item in the first place.

A very helpful Gransnetter helped me once before as she runs a Post Office. Hope she sees this thread!

Does anyone know if Royal Mail Parcel Collect can collect it from people who are shielding from the virus?

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 15:45:32

I’ve no idea vegansrock I’ve never been asked to send a parcel before. I wish I’d asked the lady behind the counter at the PO now! She might have said £67.50.
?

vegansrock Sun 07-Feb-21 13:13:37

Blimey £69 - what would it have cost pre January?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Feb-21 11:34:04

Have you tried phoning Customs and Excise and asking them for the rules? They ought to have them.

NotSpaghetti Sun 07-Feb-21 10:49:09

Urmstongran - that sounds very expensive to me. I know it does go up quite quickly after 2kg though.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Feb-21 10:35:52

I took a box to the PO mid week to send to my sister who has retired to a village just behind Estepona in Spain. No idea what to do.

They weighed it (it was 7kg) and asked me what was in it. They recommended ParcelForce. It would cost £56 non tracked or £69 tracked. I thought tracked would be more reassuring.

They did all the form, I just had to fill in the bit ‘senders address’ and sign it. My sister has been tracking it with the code I sent her which was printed out on the receipt and she is going to pick her parcel up tomorrow. Easy peasy. Very efficient & she’s delighted.

Good luck.

vampirequeen Sun 07-Feb-21 09:31:05

Have you asked at the post office? Does Parcelforce have a contact phone number so that you can ask them?

Fleur20 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:41:50

Has anyone sent a small (5kg) parcel to the EU this year?
Parcelforce looks to be quite reasonably priced, but it all goes downhill from there..
It seems to be an absolute nightmare!
I THINK I need a CN22 form which I can print off at home but it appears I have to list each item in detail with a weight and a value....??
Any advice warmly welcomed..