Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

opinions sought please.

(19 Posts)
Anyone7 Sat 20-Feb-21 16:22:17

My 74 year old husband is about to have a liver scan next week, the GP simply said it was being arranged and in relation to recent blood results. Though he is on lots of medication daily, he is happy and fairly active. Im concerned that if the results of the scan showed a condition untreatable, such as liver cancer, what would be the point of finding this out and spoiling his happiness and positive attitude if there is nothing to be done.
I dont mean to come across as uncaring, I would like him to stay happy (albeit it in ignorance) for as long as he is relatively well.
Am I odd to think this way?

B9exchange Sat 20-Feb-21 16:28:58

I think you are rather jumping the gun, unless your husband is a deep yellow with yellow eyes, it is unlikely to be inoperable liver cancer. If he is not a heavy drinker, cirrhosis of the liver a bit unlikely too! 74 is not that old, and there are many treatable conditions which could give abnormal results. Wouldn't you prefer him to receive treatment and continue to live his happy life?

MissAdventure Sat 20-Feb-21 16:29:57

If it was a worst case scenario, then he could have treatment to ensure he remains comfortable.
That would be one reason, I suppose.

I had a friend in her early 40s with excessive bleeding, who declined to find out why.

Her reason was that she wouldn't have treatment, whatever the cause was, so she never had anything investigated.

Marydoll Sat 20-Feb-21 16:30:12

Anyone 7 , have you thought this through?
If he has a liver condition, not having a scan will not make it go away, nor will it make him stay happy. He will eventually become ill and in great pain. Is this what you want for him?
Surely the decision is his to make?

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Feb-21 16:35:28

I have a somewhat rare liver condition which is manageable, on steriods continuously apparently I’ve had this from a young child, was told this when they did the liver biopsy, people are different, I’m a very positive person but for me I’d want to know, I remained oblivious for years, and only found out 13 years ago but for me I’d want to know, yes ignorance can be bliss, I have blood tests every 6 weeks for rest of my life regular scans etc, not so regular a the min though, I think only the person that has the illness can truly answer that

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Feb-21 16:38:08

There are some people that like to bury their heads in the sand, but I think it’s his decision

grannyticktock Sat 20-Feb-21 16:50:12

It's his decision, surely? Now that tests have been arranged, most people would not want to cancel them and pretend nothing was wrong.

It may be something that can be put right by medication or lifestyle changes. But bear in mind that even an incurable condition is not untreatable - evenin the worst case scenario, there will be treatments that may improve his survival chances or simply enhance his quality of life and keep him comfortable. It's surely worth finding out what the options are.

NellG Sat 20-Feb-21 16:50:53

His body, his choice.

You're not odd to think this way, but you would be unreasonable to use those thoughts to prevent him seeking reassurance/diagnosis/treatment. That's if the scan even shows a problem.

I sincerely hope he remains well and happy, and that you do too.

aggie Sat 20-Feb-21 16:55:02

Some medication can affect the liver , maybe the scan is to monitor that and adjust medication accordingly ?

icanhandthemback Sat 20-Feb-21 16:56:01

I had a liver scan done about 15 years ago based on blood test results. You can get a fatty liver or cirrhosis of the liver if your cholesterol (triglycerides) are high; you don't have to be a drinker. I am teetotal but suffered from fatty liver due to my diabetes not being well enough controlled and not being able to take statins. Now I am on a drug similar to a statin, have worked hard to sort out my blood glucose levels and my liver is healthy again. Had I continued on the path I was on, I would have eventually suffered liver failure. Surely, if there is something you can do to reverse any damage, your husband should be given the opportunity.

FannyCornforth Sat 20-Feb-21 16:57:15

Blimey. This is the attitude that I try to have about my pets when they are getting on a bit.
I hope that I haven't offended you op, but reading your post I feel a bit sad for your husband.

AGAA4 Sat 20-Feb-21 16:58:33

I had to have an MRI on my liver and it is a bit worrying about what will be found. A week later I had a letter telling me I had 'simple cysts' and nothing to worry about.
Wouldn't it be better to find that either all is well or to get treatment for a condition if one is found.

Anyone7 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:21:06

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
I havent discussed my niggling worry with him or anyone else around us - hence posting on here. Of course it is his decision and he is going ahead with it, I suppose I am jumping the gun and preparing myself for bad news, its how I am.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Feb-21 18:01:15

I sincerely hope it's just a precautionary thing.
Maybe a tweak in his medication.
flowers

Anyone7 Sat 20-Feb-21 20:38:29

Thankyou miss adventure.

Redhead56 Sat 20-Feb-21 21:36:58

I had a scan last year because of blood tests I was scared stiff. I have kidney disease and fatty liver tissue it’s common as you get older I was told.

nanna8 Sat 20-Feb-21 22:27:35

I wouldn’t worry about something that may not happen. The GP is probably being very conscientious and that is a good thing. Take it as it comes and good luck to your husband, hope things are ok.

Sparkling Sun 21-Feb-21 06:30:32

Just wait and see, at 74 he could make his own mind up. Loads of scans are done to rule something out, the results have to be given to the person concerned unless there are severe reasons why not. I think we are over thinking and worrying at the moment.

Anyone7 Sun 21-Feb-21 09:44:22

I think my OP may have come across as though I may not 'let' him have his scan or discourage him which is not the case, he is a free agent.
Im glad I posted though because some good comments have hit home and I think I have a better perspective on it now, what will be will be and we will manage it if needs be.
Thanks again all.