Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this unusual ?

(65 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 23-Feb-21 11:58:05

Brief background. Oldest GS will be 12 in May, his 9 y.o. brother is SEN.
They haven't had a very stable home life until a year ago. They share time between their dads house and my daughter's. I certainly wouldn't say 12 y.o. is at all 'street wise' and is quiet a sensitive boy.
They both still sleep with cuddly toys, is this unusual for their age ? I realise it could be due to their history but worry about the 12 y.o. mates finding out.

grannyrebel7 Mon 01-Mar-21 21:54:08

My GS aged 10 has about 80 teddies in his collection! Sleeps with a different one every night.

LucyW Mon 01-Mar-21 19:38:41

My older son was never interested in Cuddly toys but his younger brother adored them. He had his favourite Cuddly tiger in his bedroom until he was 20 and gave it to me when my DH died suddenly that year. Tiger sits on a chair in my bedroom with my late husband's Cuddly polar bear. I have my late husband's shirt under my pillow and do, sometimes hold it. Recently my little Teddy, who must be over 60 as he belonged to my late older brother, has "found" his way into bed. There is nothing wrong with anyone having an object that gives them comfort. I actually think it is lovely that a child, teenager or adult can draw comfort from a Cuddly toy. It isn't doing any harm.

nexus63 Mon 01-Mar-21 19:30:51

i have a small red teddy that i got for my husband when he spent nearly a year in hospital, he died 18 years ago and it still sits beside me, some nights when the nightmares and depression is bad i just cuddle him and cry myself back to sleep.

Sputnik Mon 01-Mar-21 18:06:55

My son's favourite cuddly toy and his twin's are now being loved by his children: excellent recycling.

Bridgeit Mon 01-Mar-21 17:47:38

See below

Greciangirl Mon 01-Mar-21 17:38:19

What is an SEN?

Hetty58 Mon 01-Mar-21 17:28:00

ninathenana, how on Earth would their mates find out? I always had a cat in my bed - until I left home!

Bridgeit Mon 01-Mar-21 17:21:24

Special Educational Needs.,

Fernhillnana Mon 01-Mar-21 16:18:44

All children are different. My parents bought me a large bed so I could fit my wide range of cuddly toys in next to me (in a strict order!). I still have my Teddy aged 67. Dad said he was the first teddy in Manchester after the war. My gs has a lovely range of soft toys and he is 8 months old. I hope he enjoys them forever.

weeducky Mon 01-Mar-21 16:16:06

I am also wondering what a SEN is? Cannot decipher it though expect it is probably quite straightforward.

Secondwind Mon 01-Mar-21 16:14:30

My brother still sleeps with Ted on the bed. He’s married and aged 66!

Bridgeit Mon 01-Mar-21 15:28:49

Just asking, would you be as concerned if they were granddaughters?
He will probably tire of them sooner or later, if it gives him comfort that’s a good thing.

kathw12 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:11:07

My 6yr old grandson sleeps with ‘pandy’ which is one of those animal slippers which my daughter was given from my SiL! Lol he takes it everywhere with him. He is here for a sleepover over and it’s in his bag! Can’t imagine him ever giving it up lol x

Theoddbird Mon 01-Mar-21 14:43:20

My son even took Panda to scout camp...

Goldencity Mon 01-Mar-21 14:42:14

I’ve been a Guide leader for a long time- grandsons are now Cubs and Scouts. The kit lists for all of them for overnights always include “your favourite teddy” or “your mascot” who sits on their beds during the day.
My son (age 40) still has Silky bear .....

Nannyknee Mon 01-Mar-21 14:09:47

All my grandchildren two boys two girls aged 9,10,11 and 12 all have cuddly toys. I did find the 10 year old boy did need his more during lockdown as he is a sensitive soul and needed it for reassurance

Joesoap Mon 01-Mar-21 14:00:10

I have lots of cudddly toys I dont sleep with, but remove them from the bed every evening,then they are back every morning,I wouldnt be without them.
Let your grandson enjoy his toys while he still wants to.

jenni123 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:58:47

I'm 79 and here are a couple of my 'friends'. The polar bear is over 3ft long, he lives in the lounge. The lioness lives on my bed. Many other cuddles dotted about.

Bossyrossy Mon 01-Mar-21 12:56:24

My son slept with his comfort blanket until he left home for uni. When he married we secretly packed it in his honeymoon suitcase.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:47:44

Well, I had five teddies in my bed every night until I left home at 16. Thereafter they shared the bed with me when I visited my parents.

Now four of them, the fifth succumbed to an attack of moth!, are sitting watching me as I type.

Rowsie Mon 01-Mar-21 12:30:40

When my 15 year old grandson sleeps at my house he always puts some of my teddies in his bed. He never explains why and at home he has numerous soft toys around his bed. He doesn't "play" with them or talk to them but he just likes to pack them round him when he goes to bed! My son thinks he is too old but his mother and I think it is harmless and he will throw them out when he is ready.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 01-Mar-21 12:28:38

My ex-Royal Marine son doesn’t exactly sleep with the Teddy he was given at birth, but it sits on his bedroom window sill. I don’t think his partner has complained, but their daughter is not allowed to play with it!

Bijou Mon 01-Mar-21 12:16:59

I collected teddy bears and have ones from all over the World. My childhood one sits on my bed.. When I broke the head of the doll I had had for ninety years my son brought me his well worn loved teddy he had had for seventy years. I inherited my mothers collection of teddy bears so they are all over the house.

GreenGran78 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:14:54

I would hate to think that a teenage boy would throw out all his soft toys, and transform his room, because people were making fun of him. That would be very sad.
I was never into cuddlies, because I was born as the war started, and never received any. Only one of my DC kept a soft toy, and he donated his monkey to his little neice in Australia. She’s 4, and different toys share her bed at different times. It remains to be seen if my baby GS builds up a long lasting relationship with his toys.

NoddingGanGan Mon 01-Mar-21 12:07:37

My son is 27 and won't part with his collection of, "beanies" They were his constant companions at prep school, until he was 13 and he even took a couple to his senior school, (year 9 boys boarded in a "junior boys" house for their first year). He didn't, though, take any into his senior house the following year!