Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What name.do you go by

(57 Posts)
1147Belle Mon 01-Mar-21 20:55:12

I just found out i have a grandchild onway .
I suggested I would be happy to be called Nana
but its been suggested i choose something else as nana was my mother in Law .

Any ideas

sodapop Tue 02-Mar-21 17:43:58

smile love it Grannynannywanny

Grannynannywanny Tue 02-Mar-21 17:22:43

sodapop my cousins in Ireland
called our maternal grandparents nanny and nannysdaddy! They grew up in our grandparents house and one of them as a toddler labelled grandpa as nannysdaddy and the name stuck. They died over 50 years ago and he is still affectionately referred to as nannysdaddy.

maydonoz Tue 02-Mar-21 17:12:22

I'm Nana to my 2DGC, it was my choice and my DH is Dede, which is Turkish for Grandad and we've had mugs with these names on from them, which is rather nice.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Mar-21 16:57:09

I'm Nan to the older ones and Nanna to the GGC.
My stepD is Nina to her GC, a preferred name.
My D here is Nanny and sadly up to now there aren't any GC to my D in Oz as yet. Two GS's are in their 30's and GD is heading towards 30.

My mum was Gran--------which always sounds old to me.
In-laws were Grandma and Grandpa or Bam Bam.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Mar-21 16:41:56

Grandma70s

*Maggiemaybe*, why is it it ‘unoriginal guff’ to say that nanny is the word for a paid nursemaid/help? It’s a fact. I never heard it used to mean grandmother until I was well grown up, and it still seems an odd usage to me.

Because it’s obviously also a perfectly acceptable term for a grandmother (and a very widely-known one, as witness the number of Nanas, Nannies and Nans on this thread alone). The fact that the term has other meanings is irrelevant, and someone loftily proclaiming “I’m a grandmother, not a goat or the paid help” when someone says they are a Nan is just plain rude. It happens regularly on these threads - thankfully it hasn’t on here.

felice Tue 02-Mar-21 13:21:54

I was DoDoon for the first 5 years of DGS life as I live in the downstairs Granny flat in the house. So when he wanted to come down he said DoDoon from a very early age.
Quite embarrassing in some places to be honest.
Grandma now but still miss DoDoon.

sodapop Tue 02-Mar-21 12:35:23

I don't see why you find the usage of Nanny odd Grandma70s there are many variations on here and that is just one of them. I have always been Nanny and still am even though my grandchildren are in their twenties and thirties now.

harrigran Tue 02-Mar-21 11:33:36

We are Grandma and Granda, we only have two GC and they are sisters so they both call us that.
Other GPs are Granny and an unusual name, so unique I can't write it as it would identify him.

MiniMoon Tue 02-Mar-21 10:36:21

We are Granny and Grandpa.

My grandson with childhood apraxia of speech calls me Dandy, he can't get his tongue around the gr sound. He's having intensive speech therapy, and I will be a little sad when Dandy becomes Granny.

timetogo2016 Tue 02-Mar-21 10:28:24

I`m Grandma and the g/children call their moms mom nan.
My step children call me nanny .

WishIwasyounger Tue 02-Mar-21 10:23:32

Granny name.

henetha Tue 02-Mar-21 10:18:50

I love being called Nan by all my grandchildren. Sometimes I get called Nannykins for fun, - even though they are all grown up now.

Grandma70s Tue 02-Mar-21 08:16:37

Maggiemaybe, why is it it ‘unoriginal guff’ to say that nanny is the word for a paid nursemaid/help? It’s a fact. I never heard it used to mean grandmother until I was well grown up, and it still seems an odd usage to me.

NannyJan53 Tue 02-Mar-21 07:58:06

As my name on here, I am Nanny Jan. When they were babies and toddlers it was Nanny Janny smile

Gagagran Tue 02-Mar-21 07:50:14

I'm Granny to our four and DH is Grandad.

Our two DC called us by our first names for some years until last summer, when DH was so ill ,and DS started referring to him as "Dad" and me as "Mum" and I really liked that and it has continued. DD still refers to us by our first names though unless speaking to her DC when it's Granny and Grandad.

janeainsworth Tue 02-Mar-21 07:47:50

Grandma like my own grandmothers were called.
Grandma Jane if it’s necessary to distinguish me from my opposite number.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Mar-21 07:46:52

Nana, then as older teens Nan ... suits me

ginny Tue 02-Mar-21 07:45:29

Nana & Grandad.
18 yr old DGS now calls me Nan.
Perfectly happy with both.

Bellasnana Tue 02-Mar-21 07:17:18

When my treasure calls me Nana it’s the sweetest sound in the world to me.

My children called my mum GanGan, shortened to Gan as they got older. Their Maltese grandmother was Nanna like every other grandmother in Malta.?

Kim19 Tue 02-Mar-21 07:06:39

I think a GP should be called exactly what they choose. My S&P were gracious enough to ask me just that. I gave the matter a great deal of thought and, bingo, we're all decidedly happy.

kittylester Tue 02-Mar-21 06:57:31

Our eldest daughter was the first to have a baby and, because she loved her grandpa so much, she deemed that we should be grandpa and grandma! DGS1 had other ideas and called us Ma and Pa. I love it as I didn't really want to be a grandma, granny or any variety of Nana.

FarNorth Tue 02-Mar-21 03:16:54

Grandma.

Dragonella Tue 02-Mar-21 01:22:57

Granny.

Redhead56 Tue 02-Mar-21 01:18:01

Nana or nanny Lynn and Grandy.

Redhead56 Tue 02-Mar-21 01:15:33

Nana or nanny with my name attached.