Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sending parcels to family in Europe since Brexit.

(12 Posts)
Photocrazy Mon 08-Mar-21 20:45:21

I would like to ask other Grans if they know how to fill in the new customs forms needed for sending parcels to family in Europe. We have a new baby Granddaughter in Latvia and I only want to send a small parcel but need to have commodity codes for each item in there and it's so complicated. Does anyone know please if there is a list available online anywhere where I can get the codes from. I am going round in circles.

Elegran Tue 09-Mar-21 09:55:59

This explanation and lookup codes look useful.

Elegran Tue 09-Mar-21 09:56:18

Link - uk.interparcel.com/blog/services/hs-codes

Elegran Tue 09-Mar-21 09:59:46

Or this lookup tool from Parcelforce - www.parcelforce.com/tariffcode

Witzend Tue 09-Mar-21 10:05:50

Hmm, I sent a small parcel via Click and Drop to a friend in Stockholm about 3 weeks ago - I just filled in the same sort of form as I’d use for e.g. sending to America - it came with the address label to print on the C and D website.

There was nothing about ‘commodity codes’ - maybe that’s why she still hasn’t received it.
I don’t see why the form should need to be very different/more complicated than when sending to the US. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Photocrazy Tue 09-Mar-21 19:46:36

Elegran
Thank you for your kind assistance, I have read through the links and will try and work something out. I usually send by carrier instead of post as the postal system in Latvia leaves a lot to be desired. My son says that someone sent a parcel for the baby 7 weeks ago and it is still being held in customs because they haven't included a list showing every item with its weight, price and description.
I am sure some of the info in these links will help. Thank you.

Photocrazy Tue 09-Mar-21 19:53:24

Witzend
I hope your parcel has been delivered by now.
All these new conditions for customs etc. came about because of Brexit.
I have sent lots of parcels to family in Latvia and have never had to fill in anything like this before. Will possibly be sending just money another time!!

Devorgilla Mon 29-Mar-21 10:57:10

I hope a gransnetter living in Northern Ireland can help me with this. I live in England. I want to send my sister an Alexa from Amazon for her birthday this month. Does anyone know if Amazon is delivering to NI and would my sister have to pay any duties? I've seen articles in papers giving the impression it is less easy now. Clarification would be much appreciated.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 29-Mar-21 11:04:41

Devorgilla

I hope a gransnetter living in Northern Ireland can help me with this. I live in England. I want to send my sister an Alexa from Amazon for her birthday this month. Does anyone know if Amazon is delivering to NI and would my sister have to pay any duties? I've seen articles in papers giving the impression it is less easy now. Clarification would be much appreciated.

Probably easier to send her an Amazon E-Voucher and let her order it herself.

Newatthis Mon 29-Mar-21 11:13:28

Be careful now - your daughter might have to be duty when the parcel arrives which could be costly. You can put NCV - no current value and mark it as 'samples' which won't generate duty at their end. However, nor will you be able to insure it. I think, the duty to be paid depends on the value of the item. If you order from Amazon.DE you can have it delivered duty free. Re: NI - is NI EU? If not then there shouldn't be any problem.

Devorgilla Mon 29-Mar-21 13:41:41

Thank you for your help. NI is in UK so should be easy but it doesn't look as simple as it used to be from Amazon site despite me ordering in UK. I think I'll hold off until one of us is able to go over with it.

felice Mon 29-Mar-21 15:42:37

Every year about this time I receive a heavy parcel of stuff for Christian Aid week for our Church here.
It is all charity stuff no cost to us but I am not sure what will happen this year.
We are in quite a full lockdown here so there will probably be no services but the info for the campaign will be in the package.
We are paying a lot in duty on even small items DD has stopped ordering from the UK as the cost to her customers was doubling.
I wonder how charity items will fare ??