Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Decorating and recarpeting the bedroom?

(11 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:36:20

Franbarn, you have my sympathies. I hope you managed to get straight. We had lots done here a few years back, then DH said he needed three years to recover!
Our living room is a through passage to the kitchen, so it is really difficult to think how we would get the floor done, as the only other way means going out the front door, in through the garage and round to the kitchen.

Franbern Fri 12-Mar-21 09:27:43

I had this problem, magnified - when I wanted to have the old carpet in my Living room and Hallway all taken up and a Laminate floor laid there.

Firm (Local) that I used said that provided I empties all the storage units and cleared as much of the smaller furniture as possible, they would work around the rest.

I spent seven weeks, slowly packing everything up from all those units and storing all those boxes in my spare bedroom. I was fortunate that my bubble family came over day before work was due to start to help take out all the smaller furniture and set me up with an armchair, etc in my bedroom to act as a bedsitter whilst this work was carried out.

The men then piled all the other furniture up and worked around this. It was a three day job, and I found it all highly stressful. I even stored a whole lot of stuff in my bath, to get it out of the way. Fortunate, I was able to keep clear my en-suite shower room.

Then my family came back to return all the furniture to its proper place to let me unpack.

I do want to have both the bedrooms re-carpeted and would use the same company, but have told them that I will need a good year to recover from this upheaval, and then to have further upheaval with the bedrooms.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Mar-21 17:06:47

I would make a little list of local companies, and phone each up to find out if they cater for people who aren't able to move furniture around.

Cabbie21 Wed 10-Mar-21 16:47:57

It won’t be carpet right, and the firm we had last time were very good, but this is the most difficult room. There’s no way we can pile the chests of drawers on the bed, Oopsadaisy!

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Mar-21 13:28:19

Same Peaseblossom paid Carpetright a small amount to shunt l. room furniture about.

Lollin Wed 10-Mar-21 13:19:00

When we expressed concern about making space those who readily said not to worry they could move things and some they could work round. Such positive understanding remarks enabled us to consider their quotes more favourably. The same for understanding carpet fitters.

Peasblossom Wed 10-Mar-21 13:14:10

Must be lunch time?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:13:04

Sorry Peasblossom crossed posts

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:12:21

Pile it all onto the bed and leave it in the middle of the room, painters and decorators will be used to working around them.
Carpets might pose a problem as all the furniture will have to be shuffled around and the fitters might not want to do it.
Speak to the people when they come and give you a quote and see what they say.

Peasblossom Wed 10-Mar-21 13:09:59

I’ve always found small local firms and tradesmen very helpful. The carpet people moved all the furniture out and back in again. Maybe I paid a bit more than Carpetright, but it was worth every penny.

Cabbie21 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:05:07

How do you get your bedroom decorated? We are no longer able to do decorating ourselves so need to get someone in, when conditions improve.
The problem is we have nowhere to move the bedroom furniture to. We could get family to help shift it, but there is nowhere to put a king size bed, two chests of drawers and a small wardrobe. We can mange to move a couple of smaller items, but even if we push everything into the middle that will leave hardly any room for the workmen.
That wouldn’t work for carpeting, surely?
We can sleep in other rooms but there isn’t room for any more furniture in there.
I suppose the only solution is to get a man with a van to remove the stuff and to put it in storage?