Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you gained weight since the first Lockdown?

(22 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 10-Mar-21 14:54:28

It's coming up to the first anniversary of the first Lockdown - I've gained 8lbs in weight and it's been that for a few months now.

How much have you gained - or if you're a skinny minnie, how much have you lost?

BigBertha1 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:58:18

14lbs!!!! blush Lockdown Lard!

keepingquiet Wed 10-Mar-21 15:05:42

I lost half a stone and I'm determined not to put it back on. I think it has been easier for me because I live alone and I'm shielding so I haven't been in a supermarket for a year!
I only order healthy food once a week and that has to last as I rely on deliveries and collections.
Even when I can I am going to carry on because I have never felt healthier.

wot Wed 10-Mar-21 15:08:19

Huge gain.

Amberone Wed 10-Mar-21 15:14:41

I think I probably qualify as a not-so-skinny minnie now - thankfully I am quite tall so it doesn't show as much. Plus it seems to be going on all over. No idea how much weight that is, haven't weighed myself in the last forty years but I know my clothes are getting tighter. Much of it I know is due to less exercise, we walk often but not very far most of the time.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:16:07

Lost 12lb.
I did it because my husband needed to do a bit of reducing so I kept him company. He’s lost over 2 stone.
I’d been trying to encourage him for a while and the fact that Covid kills overweight people was/is a great incentive.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:17:55

Exactly the same in spite of being on a diet for a year?

Hollyhock1 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:18:46

I've put off my annual diabetic review as I've gained! I'm not hugely overweight for my height (12st 7lbs), but my BMI is getting a bit high as I suspect my HBA1C also is. I'm desperately trying to get things in order ready for the dreaded phone call!

Lucca Wed 10-Mar-21 15:19:53

Definitely fatter round tummy and back .....in spite of walking 4-5 miles nearly every day.

Smileless2012 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:21:20

Stayed the same but am now trying to lose a few pounds. Nine so far but it's so slow and what I wouldn't give for something sweet with a huge dollop of cream, or even just a huge dollop of cream would dohmm.

Sarnia Wed 10-Mar-21 15:23:29

Just on a stone since Lockdown 2 in November. I really miss my swimming twice a week, a weekly exercise class and getting out and about with my groups. I have tried to keep mooching around indoors but it just isn't the same. The biscuits have had nothing to do with it, of course. smile

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Mar-21 15:31:22

I’ve lost 3lb since last April, less pub probably!

GrannyLaine Wed 10-Mar-21 15:40:21

I've lost 3 and a half stones. grin I recently dragged my wedding dress down from the loft to try on. It's been stored for almost 44 years and once more, fits me perfectly. Gave Mr L a bit of a fright though!

Smileless2012 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:53:09

Oh well done GrannyLainesmile

GrannyLaine Wed 10-Mar-21 17:03:55

Smileless2012 thank you! No one more surprised than me....

janeainsworth Wed 10-Mar-21 17:12:38

Stayed the same.
Not been able to go dancing at all, and not been able to play tennis at various times but tried to walk or cycle every day to make up.
Made a determined effort to eat as we normally do.

shysal Wed 10-Mar-21 17:55:55

Gained a stone in the first lockdown, lost it before Christmas and put it on again since. I am now in the process of losing it again!

Blossoming Wed 10-Mar-21 18:14:28

My jeans have got looser but I feel flabby!

Kate1949 Wed 10-Mar-21 18:27:44

Same here Blossoming. I haven't gained weight and I'm not overweight according to the BMI calculator thingy but I feel very fat!

Elusivebutterfly Wed 10-Mar-21 19:13:08

I started trying to lose some in January last year pre lockdown. During the first lockdown I walked a lot which helped with the weight loss. I lost 19lb in one year but have recently put back 2lb.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 10-Mar-21 19:29:46

Put on about a stone here too. The thought of coming out of lockdown and having the chance to wear anything that isn’t comfy joggers,t shirts etc is filling me with dread.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Mar-21 19:48:39

I’ve put on a stone since this time last year.
?

I was already about a stone heavier than I like to be. You can tell by your clothes. Sadly I’ve become that person who has size 18’s for ‘now’.

I’m determined to address this for summer. I’m calorie counting. 1,700 a day. Alcohol only twice a week (empty calories although nice!). No crisps, biscuits, cake or chocolate on the shopping now. Just meals. As my (pre-diabetes) nurse said last month, if you don’t buy it you can’t snack it.

I’ve lost 5lbs in 20 days.
I’m joyous.
This is do-able.
?