Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My de won’t set!

(11 Posts)
Callistemon Sat 20-Mar-21 15:47:05

I made blackcurrant jelly the other day - it kept failing the wrinkle test but has set solid and bounced off my crumpets this morning.

I once made plum jam which had to be chiselled out of the jar because I was worried it wasn't setting.

GagaJo Sat 20-Mar-21 15:35:53

My nicest marmalade was lemon vodka. I'd used the lemons to make (surprisingly) lemon vodka, and when I took them out, I preserved them. It was amazing!

Much like the sloe sherry and plum jam I made years ago which was also lush. Had to add plums because the sloes made the jam set like a rock.

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Mar-21 13:00:39

GagaJo

If it just doesn't set, get a bottle of pectin (Certo), and add a bit, then boil a little more. Don't add too much though, or it will be rock hard!

Ha ha - I’ve done that GagaJo ? but managed to rescue it by putting adding a little boiling water to each jar on opening and stirring well, which softened it enough to spread. Bit tedious but saved me throwing them!

Espana Sat 20-Mar-21 12:53:05

From a book called Preserves that I bought at Lakeland. It’s called “Thick cut dark whisky marmalade”. Made it once before and it was a huge success. Boiling it again eventually worked but it is now very thick! Darling Husband has volunteered to clean the pan. No job for the faint hearted.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Mar-21 12:35:13

I have 15 minutes to go and I’ve done one test and it seems ok.

What recipe did you use? Mine was Dark Chunky from Delias winter collection.

Espana Sat 20-Mar-21 12:14:42

Thanks Gagajo . Will do.

GagaJo Sat 20-Mar-21 12:06:53

If it just doesn't set, get a bottle of pectin (Certo), and add a bit, then boil a little more. Don't add too much though, or it will be rock hard!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Mar-21 12:05:26

Well I’m blowed I’m cooking the dark chunky as we speak!

It’s been simmering for 2 hrs and I have an hour to go. Saucer in fridge ready for testing.

I’ll let you know if mine is ok.

Alishka Sat 20-Mar-21 11:58:11

What's a de, please, OP?confused

Espana Sat 20-Mar-21 11:57:10

That should read “marmalade won’t set.”

Espana Sat 20-Mar-21 11:54:49

I have looked up Delias advice and put it back to boil. With the juice of a small lemon - been boiling for a further 20 minutes but it isn’t setting yet. Any advice?