Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Painting outdoor metallic windmill.

(10 Posts)
Puzzled Sun 04-Apr-21 18:17:12

If it is Aluminium, it would be a good idea to apply a primer intended for Aluminium after rubbing down the surface.
For steel you will need a different primer, such as red oxide.

If you spray, try to find a windless day, or set up a windbreak. Brushing Hammerite, tends to dry quickly, so work quickly and don't overload the brush, it won't spread too far before starting to dry out. Two thin coats are better than one tick one.

Greyduster Fri 02-Apr-21 10:15:14

Yes, Hammerite, or a similar paint for metal (Wilkinson’s do their own brand and it’s very good).

Thistlelass Fri 02-Apr-21 09:28:41

I have used hammerite on my garden railings and they are lovely. You can get it mixed in loads of different colours at Homebase. I do think the smallest pot may be 250 ml though.

Blossoming Wed 31-Mar-21 15:07:59

Car paints are good for this, you can but small ‘touch up’ pots.

Hammerite Smooth comes in several bright colours in 250ml pots, which may be bigger than you need.

MiniMoon Wed 31-Mar-21 14:59:50

Thank you all. I will have a look. I don't need a lot, a little pot of about 6 different colours will be sufficient.

Casdon Wed 31-Mar-21 13:44:32

I’d use Hammerite spray paint for metal, it’s very easy to use.

Squiffy Wed 31-Mar-21 12:56:43

Humbrol tiny pots are great for outside. I use them for our front door furniture and it lasts for years!

Nannan2 Wed 31-Mar-21 12:03:19

If not, do rusteolum do small pots?

Nannan2 Wed 31-Mar-21 12:02:38

What about the tiny pots you can get to paint metal soldiers etc?and some thin artist type paint brushes?look on Amazon or the craft shops online.

MiniMoon Wed 31-Mar-21 11:57:31

My outdoor metallic "spinny thing" is looking decidedly the worse for wear. The paint has worn off the metal circles. I would like to repaint it, but don't have a clue about which paint to buy.
I would like some small pots, maybe half a dozen in different colours.
Any recommendations would be appreciated,
It's like this one