Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gift Idea

(14 Posts)
Welshy Mon 19-Apr-21 22:54:23

I want to get my neighbour a little gift for her Birthday on May 3rd, she will be 79 years old. She doesn't like chocolate & she doesn't drink. I thought flowers but she is going away this weekend & also away for a week around her Birthday. So she won't be there to appreciate them. She has just bought several plants for herself too. To top it all, she bought me flowers yesterday to thank me for painting her fence. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Lilypops Mon 19-Apr-21 22:58:23

Why not treat her to afternoon tea at a nice cafe where you can both sit outside, choose a nice day ,have nice sandwiches and a nice selection of cakes , I know I would like that ,

Aveline Tue 20-Apr-21 08:10:08

Good idea Lilypops.

Welshy Tue 20-Apr-21 15:26:23

Thank you for your suggestion Lilypops, sounds lovely. But we do not have a local 'nice cafe' also my neighbour is not in my bubble.
I think it's going to have to be a gift card or maybe some solar lights for her garden.

cornishpatsy Tue 20-Apr-21 15:50:59

I received a lovely gift which I did not know I wanted. Scented drawer liners and wardrobe fragrance hangers. I also cannot have enough scented candles.

Savvy Tue 20-Apr-21 16:02:04

Have you thought about making her a gift? A home baked cake, or scones, or homemade jams that you can both enjoy while sitting in the garden with a cup of tea?

It's something special that can't be bought from a shop. At 79, she possibly has most things that she needs.

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Apr-21 17:17:53

I bought scented drawer liners for my mother-in-law and she was delighted.

The other thing is perhaps a summery scarf? The slightly larger ones are lovely - and useful- in my opinion.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:21:29

I’d buy something for her garden

Welshy Tue 20-Apr-21 18:18:13

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will settle on something for her garden. Maybe something to hang on her shed.

Savvy, it's the other way around. She has often made me a cake or some pasties smile

Soozikinzi Tue 20-Apr-21 18:37:22

In our area You can get an afternoon tea delivery which would be nice . Also what about an orchid ,which is my own personal favourite, or a plant arrangement for outside?

Grandmadinosaur Tue 20-Apr-21 19:27:59

For a nice indulgent gift in the last year I’ve sent items from Bettys of York using the online service. I spent my dad some or the famous Fat Rascals he said they were just like his mum used to make! ( wish I’d known that she could have made us all very rich!)

Aveline Tue 20-Apr-21 21:11:10

We recently had an afternoon tea delivery. It was gorgeous. One new business that's emerged due to Covid.

Hithere Tue 20-Apr-21 23:29:11

Does she read? Any authors she enjoys?

Welshy Wed 21-Apr-21 15:39:51

Hithere .... Yes she does read & has a kindle. I'm not sure if one of her family pays a subscription for her.
She also watches a lot of films on Sky.