Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old photos

(5 Posts)
Foxglove77 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:19:38

I'm hoping someone can help me with these old photos I found when clearing out our old family home.

I attach a photo. You will see it is black and white and has the date across the top and also the weight of the person.

This photo is of my paternal grandfather Douglas but there are also similar photos of my grandmother and one of her holding a toddler and smiling.

Are they photo booth type photos from the seaside maybe or official passport type ones?

I'd love to know a little more! Thank you

Septimia Tue 20-Apr-21 18:15:33

I think your guess that they're from a seaside booth is probably right. I haven't seen anything like them before, but I do have a vague recollection that there were booths that produced that sort of thing. I don't think they would be for anything like passports.

Aldom Tue 20-Apr-21 18:32:45

I wonder if it was a weighing machine that not only gave the person's weight but took their photograph as well.

Liz46 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:37:27

I seem to remember a booth doing that in New Brighton. I was only a child but seem to remember that you sat in a seat and your weight was measured and photo taken.

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 18:43:18

Liz46

I seem to remember a booth doing that in New Brighton. I was only a child but seem to remember that you sat in a seat and your weight was measured and photo taken.

My idea of hell !!