Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Get up and go.....gone!

(30 Posts)
Buffybee Sun 02-May-21 11:51:21

I’m not sure if it’s just me who feels as though my get up and go, has gone.
Since last March, as there wasn’t much to do, I got into the habit of spreading jobs out and being very much ‘Manana’, which created a much slower pace of life.
Now, as I see things gradually getting back to normal, I can’t seem to get back up to speed, is the best way I can describe it.
For instance, by this time of year I would normally have got my annuals and compost ready to fill my window boxes and I haven’t even been in a garden centre yet.
The thought of going back to Wi and other activities, or even arranging meeting friends for lunch, just seem too much like hard work.
I’m now a great procrastinator, which would be ok but then I worry about things I haven’t done.
I think I’ve just become very lazy!

Patsy70 Sun 02-May-21 17:38:48

I felt the same, particularly during the dark days of Winter. I’m starting to perk up now and am back working as a charity shop volunteer. My OH, although he didn’t complain, found it more difficult as he was used to playing golf once a week, swimming and going to the gym. He’s happier now he can safely continue his interests. I get my pleasure from seeing the family, walking our dog and extensive gardening. Once the warmer weather arrives it should help everyone.

hollysteers Sun 02-May-21 17:37:05

Same here and I find it a bit worrying as for me, it can slide into low level depression. Before lockdown, my appearance was important to me as I was out so much, belonging to various groups, v sociable, theatregoing etc. Now I wake up and throw on the sweater from yesterday and even that’s an effort.
I have booked two coach day trips which I love and that will get me going a bit and my sister will come for a visit from the south, another kick up the bum.
Going to have a nap now ?

DanniRae Sun 02-May-21 17:23:32

I totally feel the same but can't even find the energy to post a proper reply.................Sorry hmm

Redhead56 Sun 02-May-21 16:29:19

I am exactly the same can’t motivate myself in the house at all. We went to see our little granddaughters today and played in the garden. Then I went to the farm shop and got some more plants. I can make the effort for the garden but indoors gets ignored apart from cooking it’s my passion.
I keep saying to DH when we can have visitors I will sort this place out fat chance! I put a pair of curtains up the other day it nearly killed me using up so much energy.

GrannySomerset Sun 02-May-21 16:17:25

Glad to know that I am not alone in feeling perpetually unplugged from normal life. Not quite sure what, if anything, will reconnect me to the mains but am hoping summer weather will help. I do seriously wonder if I will ever be able to get out of the house on time for anything!

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 02-May-21 16:08:58

I have house music on all the time. Takes me back to my ‘ rave days’.

Buffybee Sun 02-May-21 15:32:14

You made me laugh EllanVannin, picturing you dancing around to Club music on Heart radio.
And I’m going to join you in sending off for Duracell batteries M0nica.
I’m sure we’ll all get back in the swing of things.....eventually. ?

Lyndylou Sun 02-May-21 14:27:14

Me too, everything I do needs a rest period afterwards and I notice my OH is just the same. Usually I would be at the garden centres in May but shopping just does not appeal to me at all this year. Last year when we locked down I ordered loads of plugs of summer plants and that worked quite well so I have done the same this year. They get delivered to the door then I grow them on in the potting shed. Very Monty Don!!

EllanVannin Sun 02-May-21 14:26:42

I couldn't be doing with joining anything. Good Lord, grin

Chestnut Sun 02-May-21 14:23:41

Me too, just seem to have lost my mojo! I have so much I want to do, just can't be bothered to do it. I was steaming ahead with my family history last year and really enjoying it. Now I can't find the strength to get the files out and study them. It requires a lot of brain activity and my brain has gone on strike!

3nanny6 Sun 02-May-21 14:17:05

Today I have had breakfast and walked the dogs, watered a few of the small plants I have potted and tidied the kitchen.

I have just come on GN for maybe ten minutes and although
I have enough household chores to get done I will possibly put off doing them and just cook some late lunch, wash up and sit down most of my get up and go has gone for the day.

nanna8 Sun 02-May-21 14:04:19

I left a couple of groups after iso. I just realised I didn’t need them in my life and would rather potter round the garden or shops on those days. People keep asking me to rejoin but I just don’t want to.

M0nica Sun 02-May-21 14:01:41

BuffyBee I know what you mean. I have lost all my get up and go. A Duracell Bunny whose battery has run out - and I hate it. All the things I want to do pile up round me. I look at them and decide to have a quick look at GN before I do anything - and nothing gets done.

I have put in an order for batteries. I just hope they arrive soon.

sf101 Sun 02-May-21 13:58:46

By 3 or 4 o'clock at he latest I'm back in jammies after walking the dog for the second time. At least I do get dressed every day
but I know how you feel, seems to take such an effort to do anything extra.

EllanVannin Sun 02-May-21 13:56:38

I had to do something yesterday about my lockdown body and the laziness it's created so I decided to switch on my hi-fi and tune in some music to liven me up. Couldn't find the remote for it ! It's tuned via the remote so I was stumped, then a manual twiddle of it found a station----Heart. Booming and pounding " club " music, so thought that'll do me grin.

After jigging around yesterday I've got the most awful aches in parts that have been stagnant for over a year hahahahaha.
The hi-fi is an Aiwa and has powerful speakers so I've got it at a comfortable volume ( 11) but have never tried going any louder as the place would shake, or blow the speakers.

Lamb is cooked, potatoes on low to part-boil and the washing's been out a few hours so not entirely idle today as the music has got me going and livened me up. I'll have to hunt for the remote in due course as one station can be a bit jarring. The music has made a difference, it's wakened my brain.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 02-May-21 13:52:49

I think what you are experiencing Buffy is not uncommon. When the first lockdown came at the outset of the pandemic, people kept busy with activities such as baking, learning a new language and reading lots of books, but I think enthusiasm has waned now, and it has become a long haul. It’s easy to settle into a routine of doing very little. We just need a bit of time to “re enter” the world again. Be better when summer comes. ?

Kim19 Sun 02-May-21 13:51:50

I'm the same but I did do my first venture out to a lunch last week. I came straight home but it was indeed pleasant. I also used my car for two thirds of the journey and public transport for the rest. I'm easing myself in gently. This Wednesday for my second venture and so it will go until I'm slowly paced in. Looking forward to my old hectic social life but feel absolutely no urge to rush. Softly, softly........

Bakingmad0203 Sun 02-May-21 13:44:54

Yes same here, I am so glad I’m not the only one!

I used to be so active, always had something planned every day and now I can’t get up the enthusiasm. Tending to my seedlings has become a chore, and if I don’t go out for a walk early in the morning then I don’t go at all.

I think it’s a lot to do with the uncertainty in the past year and that we have all got used to doing very little.

To restart my voluntary work involves completing a number of online courses first before I am allowed back, and I wonder if it’s worth bothering, as it may all have to stop again. On the other hand I need the social contact, so I’m going to have to give myself a nudge.

mamaa Sun 02-May-21 13:33:10

Totally similar on all counts- don’t think the unseasonably chilly weather is helping either. We were going to go for a walk after lunch… not made it yet and I’ve just plonked down in the armchair to ‘play’ on here and my other half is watching a film in the kitchen. Maybe go for a walk tomorrow…wink

Katyj Sun 02-May-21 13:23:11

Yes me too although I’m more frustrated because I’m not getting on with things ,so there all buzzing about in my head ! Best just to set a task of one thing, and get on with it.
I’m hoping one thing at a time works and gets me motivated. I’ve written a list, and love it when I can cross things off. Good luck.

Buffybee Sun 02-May-21 13:13:42

Perhaps because of all that has happened over the last year with the uncertainty and the constant 'fear'.......it has somehow made us realise that at the end of the day, not a lot really matters.
One of the few things I still take pleasure in are anything to do with my family and looking after Grandchildren and my little dog.
All the rest seems not so important any more.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 02-May-21 13:04:24

gently does it?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 02-May-21 13:03:54

I think most people are feeling like that Buffybee. Just yesterday, I was talking to my DIL about their trip to a halfway point to see her parents last week. She said her parents are well, but almost overwhelmed and daunted at the prospect of everything going back to normal.
I understand you completely. I suppose the trick is, gent does it and ease back slowly. Things will just happen naturally.

Shinamae Sun 02-May-21 13:00:51

I find I am terribly lazy at home and I’m glad I work part time because at least I am doing something!!

Peasblossom Sun 02-May-21 12:58:40

Me too. I’ve been planting out a shrub border and found that I could only dig a couple of holes, plonk the shrubs in and then sit down for a rest!

No stamina. ?

I desperately need a haircut but can’t make myself do the phone round to see who’s got a space.

And a friend asked me if I wanted a week in her holiday cottage in Cornwall and I just thought “all that way to sit in somebody else’s house. Nah. I’d rather stay at home.”?