Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Problem with 'workman'. Help please!

(135 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 04-Jun-21 08:34:04

Hello Everyone!

I tried to name change prior to posting this, but failed.
Anyway, the problem is with the bloke (now blokes) who clean my bins.
These are the facts. I'm trying to keep it simple.

John (not his real name) has been cleaning my general waste bin once a month for over ten years.
I pay him in advance, once a year by cheque.
To begin with he did it on his own, but more recently a young woman (may be his daughter) has been doing it.
Once he rang my phone to ask me when the Xmas bin collection was, so that shows that he had/has my number.

Towards the end of last year, he didn't come to clean the bin for at least three months.
I phoned his house but no answer (no email or website)
NB I have paid John in advance until August 2021

So - I arranged for a new bloke (let's call him Ben) to clean the bins. He seems a really nice chap. I've emailed him in the past and also once texted him and got a quick and friendly reply.
Ben has been cleaning my bins now for three months.

Anyway, yesterday, just after Ben had cleaned the bin, John knocks on the door. The young woman is waiting in the van.
Before I have time to say anything, he goes on and on about being in hospital for nine weeks with Covid.
It was obvious that be wanted me to cancel with Ben and resume with him.
I explained that I tried to contact him, but he just went on and on about having Covid and nearly dying.
I said that I understood because my DH had had the same experience.
John didn't listen and kept repeating the same stuff, a lot of which sounded a bit nonsensical.
To get rid of him I asked for his number and I said I'd have a think and let him know.
He said that he'd come back next month - which sounds a bit threatening to be honest.
I know that I should probably just told him to sling his book, but it all took me by surprise and I didn't know what to say - he wouldn't let me get a word in anyway!

Basically - what would you do? Should I text him or phone him?
I do really want him to have my number.
And I'm also not sure what to say. I know this sounds daft and that I'm being a big wuss!

Thank you!

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 08:15:43

NotaGran thank you, yes I will do.
I'm going to text him (John) later.
I'll come back and tell you what I said. And any reply.
(Exciting stuff eh? smile)

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Jun-21 08:06:38

That makes sense Fanny . In many areas bins are stored in front of terraces as there is nowhere else , which could be rather ? if they all used the service .

Forgot to say that I would stick with Ben , and if John has the nerve to call again I would ask for a refund!

Elizabeth1 Sun 06-Jun-21 08:01:39

Stick with reliability and leave the original bin cleaner to recover from his recent period of illness. His daughter or whoever she is could’ve let you know his circumstances instead of leaving you hanging on.

I’ve been waiting for our handyman to finish off a painting job he also promised to return to fix the leak in the roof however after a long long wait I posted come back (John) on Facebook, not his real name it seems I’ve upset someone close to him however it got results as he txt my dh within minutes of the post saying he’ll call in on Tuesday, we’ll see. I’ve still to pay him for half the job he’s done but he’ll not get that until he’s completed the paint job. The thing is he must be well known as I received a private message from a friend telling me not to hold my breath he’s been letting folks down for years. angry

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 07:50:02

NotaGran the water goes down the drain which is on the side of the road
There is no mess.

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Jun-21 07:46:26

I have never heard of a bin washing service . Wondering where the manky water and bits of grot goes ? Presumably over the pavement or driveway ?

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 07:36:25

Thanks Calendargirl, no, I won't be taking that particular 'advice'!
It's also a lot more hassle - it's bad enough sacking one bin cleaner, nevermind two!

Calendargirl Sun 06-Jun-21 07:34:13

Buffy

Get rid of them both and after 2 or 3 months start again.

Why should Fanny get rid of Ben? What has he done wrong?

She will be on the bin cleaners baddie list if she gets rid of all of them!

(I was going to use another word instead of ‘baddie’ but decided that would not be acceptable).

Lemontart Sun 06-Jun-21 00:44:24

Why do you need someone to clean your bins? Just use bin liners.

Buffy Sat 05-Jun-21 23:52:54

Get rid of them both and after 2 or 3 months start again.

Yorki Sat 05-Jun-21 21:09:13

I agree also with singlegram . I would no longer trust " John". He could do it again, what would be the excuse then I wonder. Probably " I've used up all my sick days, so I'm phoning in 'dead'...I read that on a T shirt once and though it was brilliant. John would probably expect you to believe it too. Or keep coming back until you did.

love0c Sat 05-Jun-21 21:00:58

No excuse. The woman/daughter, someone should have notified all customers to say he was ill. Also he owes you money as i am sure he owes a lot of people money. If you are happy with the new man I would stay with him. He let you down without a thought and no mention of refunding you. Says it all really.

Yorki Sat 05-Jun-21 20:51:10

Fanny Cornforth...do you have his address? Can you write a letter to him telling him regardless of his dilemma, you no longer need his services as your happy with " Ben". He has no right to harass you, and you need to make it clear that you won't tolerate any further contact from him. If he did have covid, then yes that's sad, but he didn't have anything put in place to cover for such incidents as illness. My guess is you weren't the only one to cancel his services, and maybe he's panicking. Can you text him from someone else's phone or use a public phone to ring him?

welbeck Sat 05-Jun-21 20:17:38

OP, agree with others; john has failed to fulfil contract.
realistically you have lost that money.
advice for future, never pay a year in advance.
aim to pay per cleaning event.
have contact details/ID for cleaner.
note vehicle reg number.

welbeck Sat 05-Jun-21 20:15:35

i only have one pedal bin bag of rubbish per week usually, so the waste collectors usually just reach into the wheely bin to remove it.
the problem is that passers-by throw in oddments and i also have to deal with various animal droppings which go tied in v small bags. all this lesser rubbish gets left at the bottom of the bin.
i keep meaning to have a big clear out, and put multiple bags of rubbish in, but i've yet to devise the best method...
since that's unwanted/useless items, not dirty rubbish, i don't seem to get round to it.
think we should have lockable bins; will have to when it's all wieghed and charged by weight.

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 19:36:34

I'm worried now because our Council provides polythene bin liners but we are assured that they are properly recycled.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 18:59:46

Oh thankyou Grannynannywanny
I was starting to feel like some kind of pervert!

Grannynannywanny Sat 05-Jun-21 18:57:19

Never heard of anyone having their bins professionally cleaned before….!

It’s been a well used service in my area for years. He turns up like clockwork an hour after the bin lorry. Pressure washer used inside and outside bin and a squirt of deodoriser. I’m not sure how much it cost but he has plenty of customers.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 18:55:07

Nanette1955

How about amateurishly?

Nanette1955 Sat 05-Jun-21 18:10:54

Millie22 Sat 05-Jun-21 17:45:09

Gosh Fanny you've got too many men in your life ?

NotANana Sat 05-Jun-21 17:45:08

You can set your mobile phone so that the person you have called can't see your number.
My feeling FWIW is that since he hasn't bothered to get in touch and tell you what is going on (or arranged for any member of his family to do so) for so long, you are perfectly entitled to assume that he would not be coming again and to make alternative arrangements. Annoying if you have paid up-front for a service which you have not had, but if he hasn't attended you could reasonably treat those payments as being in lieu of notice.
I would stick with Ben.

Lucca Sat 05-Jun-21 17:44:01

Hosing down those poor bins ??

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 16:55:41

kimboM

That’s a bit harsh, FannyCornforth.

What is? ?

Clevedon Sat 05-Jun-21 15:50:11

If John was very ill with Covid all that time, how sad BUT someone should have contacted his customers to explain the situation. If he had done this fair enough but Ben has been reliable and efficient so stay with him imo.

kimboM Sat 05-Jun-21 15:26:09

That’s a bit harsh, FannyCornforth.