Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did your Mum ever say she loved you?

(178 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 13-Jun-21 18:07:32

Just that really. I can't remember my Mum ever saying that to me, although she hugged me when my old dog was pts. So I was surprised when my brother called her and at the end of the call, she tried to hide and said I love you too.

I've never said it to my children which I feel sad about now, but my grand daughter says I love you Nanny quite often. I always say I love you too.

Is it an endearment you pick up from your parents?

Visgir1 Fri 18-Jun-21 18:33:34

Yes... And I miss hearing it.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 18-Jun-21 16:45:28

Ps, I say it all the time to my children and grandchildren....and mean it.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 18-Jun-21 16:44:50

No, but I was adopted, and I think she had regrets. I was most likely difficult to deal with. My ‘ sister’, although also adopted, I think was more like the child she may have had naturally. Hence the favouritism of her.
I had a lovely maternal granny though, who often said she loved me. I think she despaired of her own daughter, who, in her words, always had her nose in a book! I was like my granny strangely enough. Very blunt. My mum was embarrassed by her own shadow. Not a good mix with me!

Gran16 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:16:21

Nope, dont remember any signs of affection, plenty of criticism but then the only person important to her was herself she should never have had children as she was too selfish. I was the total opposite with my sons, they are grown up with children of their own now and too busy to bother remembering I'm alive. I guess my life has always been the same, the only time anyone shows any interest in me is when they want something or I'm of use to them sad

Mae123 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:37:42

I do not remeber that being said in my childhood, because it was not quite the done thing back in the day, but I do recall Mum said it in her old age when I started saying that to her. Consequently, I did not say it to my DD growing up, until I heard my next door neighbour taking this up when she recovered from an illness. I thought about it and I concluded that if anything happened to me I should like the last words I ever spoke my DD or my DGC to be an acknowledgement of my love for them. So now even after tiffs, or if they are only going home or to the shops and back they hear me saying "Love you" bye bye. I want to leave them that legacy. Like my Mum they say it back to me, but I know actions always speak louder than words as my Nan never told me but I felt it from how she interacted with me.

Nanananana1 Thu 17-Jun-21 10:42:45

Say she loved me? Never! Did she love me? Not really sure she even liked me!
I was a typical child of the sixties/seventies so a bolshie, difficult, rebellious, tomboy who gave up all pretence of being feminine and went to art school - she just didn't understand me!
I think the mothers of the fifties had an idealised view (perpetuated by women's magazines and advertising) of what children, especially girls, were supposed to be like and I definitely did not fit the mould!

Kandinsky Thu 17-Jun-21 06:46:28

No never. But actions speak louder than words. ( not that she showed it much either but you know what I mean)
I can’t stand all this ‘I love you’ every time a child leaves the room for 10 minutes, usually said by a mother barely looking up from her phone screen.

Harris27 Wed 16-Jun-21 20:33:04

Mine was a step mum and never said it she was ok with me but I knew she didn’t love me. My step sister and I get on really well and when she died I knew we’d be stronger and we are. My step mum was unfeeling and didn’t really show her feelings ever.

wjqnn Wed 16-Jun-21 19:29:03

I remember my mum saying you always tell the girls to give grandma and grandad a kiss and a cuddle as we left but you never give us a kiss or a cuddle. I don’t remember too many hugs and love you when I was little although we always gave both parents a good night kiss. My girls and I talk daily and always end the conversation with love you and have hugs and kisses when we see each other. My grandson and I have a banter (he’s 5 now) love you, loved you before I met you, loved you when you were a dinosaur egg. He is so loving and always has hugs and kisses for me and his step grandad when we see him which is every week.

grannypiper Wed 16-Jun-21 19:20:19

Always, through words and deeds.

Libman Wed 16-Jun-21 19:09:55

I can’t remember my mum saying I love you but I know she loved the bones of me.

Fennel Wed 16-Jun-21 18:24:19

I don't think Mum ever said it to me but we were close, I don't think I needed it even though we often got on eachother's nerves. Dad was more demonstrative.
After reading this thread I thought about if I'd ever said it to mine (farflung) and sent them emails of Stevie Wonder's I just Called to say I Love You.
They each replied at once, seemed really pleased. smile.

Sassie1961 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:42:53

No, but thankfully my Grandmother made up for it

Elvis58 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:40:49

No never!

Silvertwigs Wed 16-Jun-21 17:10:29

Me too AmberSpyglass, my mom constantly said to me ‘who loves you’ and I’d say ‘you do’ we would giggle and hug. Miss you mom xx

Mildmanneredgran Wed 16-Jun-21 17:03:41

No, she didn’t. Because she didn’t.

Unigran4 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:00:27

No! sad

JadeOlivia Wed 16-Jun-21 16:49:41

No, but she never ever needed to, I knew she loved me, knew she totally supported everything I did, was proud of my achievements would have done anything for me .... Bless.

NannanTo4 Wed 16-Jun-21 16:28:50

The first I knew about ‘love’ was when I was about 10 and my mum said in crossness ‘you never tell me you love me’ and I remember so clearly being confused because I didn’t know I was supposed to because I had never heard it said to me!
I tell my girls and my grandchildren all the time. My girls tell me all the time (with feeling) and my grandchildren say it to me (randomly) too. And oh how it makes my heart flutter and my face uncontrollably smile.

hollie57 Wed 16-Jun-21 16:22:01

hello foxglove 77 I know how you feel I lost my lovely mum at Christmas and I have thought of the times I wanted her to tell me she loved me, the last 5 years she had dementia and it was really only in the last 6 months of her life when I used to go home from Visiting nearly every day she would call out be carefully get home safe ,love you and I would dearly love to hear her now I always cuddled her and told her I loved her mevery visit and always tell my children and grandchildren I love them ,I don’t think my nan was very loving to my mum
and so she could not show her feelings ,oh what strange things us humans are with are feelings.take care.x??

seadragon Wed 16-Jun-21 15:50:48

My mum frequently said in the course of any given day: "I love you with all my heart and tuppence of my liver:'....! It applied to us both, too....

CBBL Wed 16-Jun-21 15:45:18

No. Never. I had no father, as my parents were separated before I was born. My younger half brother told me once that she was proud of me. My mother and I always had a difficult relationship. She passed away in 2008.

Cuckooz Wed 16-Jun-21 15:26:20

No. Never. She was very good at criticising though.

Jane43 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:18:01

Sadly not, no hugs or kisses either, those came from my father, nor did she ever say she was proud of me although my brother says she said she was to my aunts. She did express love for my brother and I in other ways such as making sure we had a comfortable home environment, were well fed and well dressed and in adulthood helping us financially through difficult times. I spent most of my life trying to please my mother and when she died I felt it was something I would never achieve. I have made sure my sons and grandchildren know how much I love them and I recognise all their achievements no matter how small. In recent years through my oldest cousin I have learnt a lot about the early life of my mother and her five siblings and understand how tough it was for them all and I really wish my mother had talked about it with me but she was very private and a woman of few words.

sharon103 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:15:41

No never. I agree it was a generational thing.
I know without doubt that we were all loved.
I remember my mum once telling me that she had asked my dad if he would have liked to have had lots of money or his children and he said his children. That tells me all I need to know.