Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you think of the Queen’s new statue?

(100 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 19-Aug-21 14:32:42

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee statue has been unveiled at York Minster where it will be installed next year. A lot of people think it looks nothing like her. I think it looks pretty awful. What do other gnetters think?

MadeInYorkshire Mon 23-Aug-21 11:15:22

Crikey, it’s foul!!

Callistemon Sun 22-Aug-21 20:21:41

You haven't seen my haystack!!

Bluebellwould if you can find some acorns in the autumn and plant them (preferably in tubs where you have lovely shrubs) then they should sprout and grow quite quickly.
I'm afraid that mine have just gone out in the garden waste.
Or you could adopt a squirrel.
I thought you'd have a forest of them, looking at your username wink

Lucca Sun 22-Aug-21 18:58:23

Callistemon

Lucca

By the way I’m not criticising HM’s hair !! It’s fine for a lady if her age.

I'm just wondering if I've reached the right age for a perm and an HM hairstyle.

It might be better than the mess I have at the moment --can't do a thing with it--

No. You mustn’t.

Bluebellwould Sun 22-Aug-21 18:10:20

Sorry to hijack post but if anyone would care to send me a couple of baby oak trees, I would be happy to pay.

Callistemon Sun 22-Aug-21 18:05:55

Lucca

I'm just wondering if I've reached the right age for a perm and an HM hairstyle.

It might be better than the mess I have at the moment can't do a thing with it

BlueBelle Sun 22-Aug-21 16:58:56

But no one is criticising the Queen anniebach but the sculpture of her which is so unflattering and so unlike her
Are you saying you like the work ?

Lucca Sun 22-Aug-21 16:01:50

Anniebach Sun 22-Aug-21 15:16:07

Definitely, and a face lift and wear wigs ?

JaneJudge Sun 22-Aug-21 14:10:29

Anniebach

Perhaps the Queen should do a Joan Collins

take a toy boy? grin

Anniebach Sun 22-Aug-21 11:46:57

Perhaps the Queen should do a Joan Collins

Callistemon Sun 22-Aug-21 10:15:26

Lucca

Calendargirl

The Queen’s hair isn’t ‘a helmet’. For a woman of her age, she has lovely hair. It has to be in a style that is pretty immovable. No use if her hair is always blowing in her face, or looking like a birds nest, when she’s out in public. We would soon be criticising if it looked a mess.

Sorry! Ok It’s a soft helmet now. My mother had that sort of hairstyle forever too.

When my Mum wasn't able to get to the hairdresser often in her later years I used to wash and set it for her in exactly the same style as the Queen's.
I could put the rollers exactly the same even now!

I don't ever remember her having a different style although she was the first girl in their village to go and have her very long hair cut into the then fashionable semi-shingled style.
(Fashionable again now)

Harmonypuss Sun 22-Aug-21 10:06:35

I've just seen it ....
Eeeuuuuggghhhh ???
I know she's in her 90s but that is truly horrible!!!

Lucca Sun 22-Aug-21 08:22:12

Calendargirl

The Queen’s hair isn’t ‘a helmet’. For a woman of her age, she has lovely hair. It has to be in a style that is pretty immovable. No use if her hair is always blowing in her face, or looking like a birds nest, when she’s out in public. We would soon be criticising if it looked a mess.

Sorry! Ok It’s a soft helmet now. My mother had that sort of hairstyle forever too.

Calendargirl Sun 22-Aug-21 07:49:10

Caleo Sat 21-Aug-21 23:56:11

The face looks like a symbol of stability and strength, so I like it.

tippytipsy Sat 21-Aug-21 18:38:27

Maybe it will weather with time and the elements, and soften. We can but hope.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 21-Aug-21 18:34:00

I think it looks horrendous

FranT Sat 21-Aug-21 18:27:32

Doesn't bear any resemblance whatsoever, wouldn't have even known who it was supposed to be if I hadn't been told, what a total waste of time, resources and finance, does the Queen get a say in the matter, I wouldn't have accepted it as a likeness if I was her!

Lesley60 Sat 21-Aug-21 14:59:15

I hope the tax payers haven’t payed for it, there are far more worthy things to spend money on

Seabreeze Fri 20-Aug-21 21:59:01

Oh god just looked it’s awful. She looks so stern.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 21:47:06

Perhaps no-one who say it resembles Princess Margaret remembers her as she was when she was young.
She was very beautiful.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 21:43:44

MountainAsh

I am definitely in the minority. I don’t see anything wrong with it. My first thought was that it’s just like the stamps, with more wrinkles.

It does look like a stamp- but those portraits are nothing like the Queen either

knspol Fri 20-Aug-21 21:39:09

Definitely Princess Margaret!

MountainAsh Fri 20-Aug-21 20:04:35

I am definitely in the minority. I don’t see anything wrong with it. My first thought was that it’s just like the stamps, with more wrinkles.

mrshat Fri 20-Aug-21 19:47:52

It is definitely scary and nothing like the Queen as we know her. sad