Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dessert

(68 Posts)
Madwoman11 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:35:34

I am having 8 guests for an evening meal, but no idea what to give them for dessert especially as I don't bake. May have to be shop bought. Any ideas ?

Dinahmo Wed 22-Sep-21 23:14:22

Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, serves a large piece of good cheese, on a board or large platter, place on vine leaves, or sometimes hydrangea leaves. She then adds piles of dried apricots, crackers, some grapes and a bowl of chutney. Very simple but very effective and pretty to look at.

Spice101 Thu 23-Sep-21 02:04:16

Very easy Coffee Mousse
* vary quantity according to your taste

1 can (approx 375ml) of evaporated milk
2 tablespoons of castor sugar *
1 tbs instant coffee.*
2 tsp gelatine dissolved in hot water

Beat evap milk until soft peaks form and it is about doubled in volume, add in sugar and coffee, beat until dissolved and then slowly pour in the dissolved gelatine.

Pour into individual glasses or bowls and refrigerate until set.
OR
Pour into one dish, cover in whipped cream and sprinkle grated chocolate over top.

Nansnet Thu 23-Sep-21 07:20:50

One of my old favourites, Banoffee pie ...

In a loose bottomed tin. Crumbed biscuit/melted butter base. Tin of condensed milk, simmered & stirred until it begins to thicken/caramelise, then pour over the base. Refrigerate until set. Cover with sliced bananas, then whipped double cream. Top with shaved chocolate.
Prepare the base with biscuit/condensed milk the day before, and it's quick to finish it off on the day.

nadateturbe Thu 23-Sep-21 07:29:01

My own favourite, family love it.
Chocolate chip cookies soaked in white wine (or apple juice) layered with whipped cream and topped with cream layer and grated chocolate. 3-4 cookies for each dish. Chilled in fridge.

nadateturbe Thu 23-Sep-21 07:29:46

Some good ideas here.

M0nica Thu 23-Sep-21 07:39:40

Apple crumble and lots pf good quality ice cream. Seasonal, easy and delicious.

kittylester Thu 23-Sep-21 07:39:47

Syllabub is easy and delicious and no cooking!

Last time we went to a friend 'who doesn't do puddings' she gave us a choice of Magnums!!

shysal Thu 23-Sep-21 07:57:32

Cheat's Banoffee pie uses bought caramel in a tin or jar of dulce de leche, and you could even use a ready - made pastry case instead of the biscuit base.
www.mykidstime.com/food-and-recipes/banoffee-pie/

I you want a bought dessert, I can recommend M&S ultimate trifle.

shysal Thu 23-Sep-21 08:02:12

This is the trifle, serves 6.

TillyTrotter Thu 23-Sep-21 08:04:14

Tesco profiteroles?
Everybody seems to love profiteroles. If you can get salted caramel chocolate topped ones and mix with ordinary choc topped ones they look very attractive.
Serve with fresh, unwhipped double cream.

Lucca Thu 23-Sep-21 08:30:43

lemon meringue ice cream. Served with some kind of fruit compote or coulis and a bought shortbread if necessary.

grannysyb Thu 23-Sep-21 09:01:23

We have people coming on Sunday, I'm doing individual summer puddings, it'll get rid of some of the soft fruit in the freezer!

Madwoman11 Thu 23-Sep-21 09:46:49

Thank you everyone ?

Spec1alk Thu 23-Sep-21 12:48:13

I once bought a variety of exotic fruit and prepared each one at the table and passed them round. People could try new things- or not- and it generated interest and lots of chat

Witzend Thu 23-Sep-21 13:19:07

M&S!
If I can’t be bothered, or I’m extra busy, that’s my go-to.

Asda’s Extra-Special Sticky Toffee Pudding was an absolute favourite of a niece from abroad who used to visit from boarding school - I made a point of buying it every time she was with us.

Soroptimum Thu 23-Sep-21 13:22:15

Grandmabatty

Ice cream with hot espresso coffee poured over. It's called affogato. Top with cream and a chocolate coffee bean

This is gorgeous! I’m not a ‘pudding person’, but this is a favourite of mine.

Namsnanny Thu 23-Sep-21 13:38:20

. Frozen puff pastry rolled out to dinner plate size.
. Sliced fruit plums, apples pears peaches etc choose your favourite.
. Sprinkle with 4 tblspns caster sugar.
. Bake in hot oven. Around 20 mins
. Dot with appropriate jam/jelly and put back on oven to glaze and brown.

Mallin Thu 23-Sep-21 13:58:02

Try profiteroles. From Aldi. Lots of runny chocolate sauce. Would be great with good quality chocolate ice cream

GreyKnitter Thu 23-Sep-21 15:28:41

When I go to dinner parties and to visit friends I go to see them and enjoy their company. I really don’t mind what dessert they have but would be equally as pleased with fresh fruit or cheese and biscuits as some fancy home made pud. Think I’d go for either of the above or buy a ready made dessert to compliment the main course from one of the supermarkets. Have a great time with your friends whatever you choose.

JaneJudge Thu 23-Sep-21 15:32:51

I made a lovely fruit crumble from the garden yesterday (pear, plum and blackberry) I loosely followed this recipe

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 15:34:46

I loosely followed this recipe

I often loosely follow recipes!

JaneJudge Thu 23-Sep-21 15:35:00

I would be happy with fruit and a cheese board too fwiw
These threads are funny! someone always complains about what other people suggest

JaneJudge Thu 23-Sep-21 15:35:48

Callistemon

^I loosely followed this recipe^

I often loosely follow recipes!

Only way to do it grin I reckon it's why my cakes are always crap and require a visit to the dentist

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 15:39:45

The only recipe I usually follow exactly is a Christmas cake recipe but the year I made Jamaican Black Fruit cake and sloshed in the rum etc was the best one!

JaneJudge Thu 23-Sep-21 15:44:27

Ohh that sounds nice smile I'm coming to you for Christmas