Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dog boarding kennels and holidays

(80 Posts)
bytheway Thu 23-Sep-21 08:23:06

Last year we got a puppy, she is the most adorable dog and we are very close.

I had wanted a dog for ever but due to working full time felt it was unfair, anyway I finally retired last year and we got a puppy.

Part of the pleasure of retirement was that we like to travel and could go away at a moments notice…which we do…travelling and finding accommodation with our pup has been easy but I have found that whilst we are away there are lots of things we can’t do with a pup.

We can’t wander round shops, go into stately homes, go out for meals etc etc…

I have considered leaving her in a boarding kennel but every breath in my body tells me she would hate it…and I would spend my holiday worried sick.

At home she has loads of attention, is very sociable but is scared of big dogs she doesn’t know or large groups of dogs. She is a toy Cavapoo so quite a small dog.

I have no one else who could look after her.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you get over it?

Smurf52 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:31:19

There are books you can buy and websites for dog friendly establishments.

www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/d/dog-friendly-dog-days-out/4/1/

Eloethan Tue 28-Sep-21 00:23:36

GillT57 I absolutely agree with you. Provided a dog gets at least one good walk a day (though we took ours twice), and is well fed and looked after, I don't think it's a great hardship to them if they are left. We could leave our dog for several hours and he just went to sleep (actually, we discovered he went to sleep on the sofa, which he never did when we were at home - crafty boy!).

It is important not to make a dog feel anxious about being left. Cesar (American dog trainer) used to say not to make any fuss at all when you leave the house because it alerts the dog to something odd, and possibly worrying, happening.

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 13:18:17

Please don't make a rod for your own back by never leaving your dog alone, they need to get used to it, and they need their rest. Our dog is quite elderly now, but we used to put her in a lovely kennels, family run, clean and tidy, and she used to run in without a backward glance. I love my dog, but she is a dog, and I am a bit uncomfortable with people talking about their dog needing constant attention, duvets, sofas, cushions etc, our dog has a lovely comfy basket in the sitting room, and never goes on a sofa or a chair, thus when we have taken her away to the occasional dog friendly hotel we are confident that she is not on the bed in our absence. A dog is a huge commitment, and they give a lot back, but they live a long time, and unless you plan on never going abroad/staying with friends or family who are unable to accomodate your dog, I would recommend that you get him/her used to being away from you, a day at a time to start.

AlexG Mon 27-Sep-21 11:08:54

If you are going to put her in kennels, start by a short stay like a weekend. Then she will know you come back, rather than the first time being a week or longer. This was the advice of our vet and very sensible

effalump Sun 26-Sep-21 20:25:22

Try Googling "Dog boarding in private homes" in your area. I remember my brother saying he had used someone literally around the corner from their home when he and his partner had to go away for a few days without their dog. Not the cheapest solution but the dog was very comfortable with the sitters own dogs.

Eloethan Sun 26-Sep-21 11:07:01

I think there is a website that puts people in touch with dog owners who are OK about a person staying in their home and taking care of their dog.

A friend at choir, who has used the service and said it was brilliant, gave me the details but unfortunately I can't find them. Of course, it's not everybody would be comfortable with having a stranger staying in their home but she has found it works well.

There are also people who will take your dog into their own home. I don't think our dog would have coped well with kennels but we never tried it so I can't know for sure.

SuzieHi Sun 26-Sep-21 08:53:38

Until recently friends have looked after our dog when we’re away but their situation has changed so I have also been checking out Kennels home boarding etc. Your council have lists of approved boarders- star rated. You do have to go & check out a few! They vary a lot! I’ve managed to find 2 I’m willing to try out - for a day first, followed by a day & night then a short holiday. Costs vary too- kennels here around £20 per 24hrs. Home boarding from £25-£40 per 24hrs. I personally don’t want anyone in my home when away

NannieAnnie64 Sun 26-Sep-21 08:34:03

Hi. Go on recommendations to try a few kennels out. Some do day care, so you could ask if yo can put her in for a couple of hours then build up from that. This way your dog becomes used to it gradually and also will help you with your anxiety of leaving him. Remember not to heap negative behaviour on the dog

GreenGran78 Sat 25-Sep-21 23:39:35

Do you have any neighbours who would have her for brief times, just to get her used to being in new environments.? You could start with half an hour, then extend it bit by bit.
I and my neighbours used to do it with our children, to get them used to being away from Mum, then going to playgroup or school.

Beeb Sat 25-Sep-21 22:06:16

I recommend www.Rover.com. Dogs stay at the dog boarders home as part of their family. If you can find a person with experience, lots of good feedback, and a suitable lifestyle for your dog then it can work well. Quite expensive, but I know my dog is in good hands. Usually you’re sent text messages, photos and videos during the stay so you can feel reassured that all is ok.

She777 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:46:32

Hi, There’s a book that comes out each year and shows hotels, pubs etc where you can go with your dogs. We have lots of pubs here in Lancashire that let you take your dogs, you usually have to dine in the bar area as opposed to the restaurant but it is still nice to be able to enjoy it with your pooch.

sodapop Sat 25-Sep-21 18:18:07

BelindaB generally kennels are not 'soulless' they are run by professionals who are quite strictly regulated. I wouldn't want to put people off using a service like this as its necessary. Owners should not over think this, our pets are important to us but don't ascribe human emotions to them.

MarinaL Sat 25-Sep-21 18:06:48

I have used PetStay and have found lovely carers through it. Your dog will be the only one and will not be let off the lead at anytime. All your instructions will be followed and it's a real home from home for your pet.

kwest Sat 25-Sep-21 17:49:32

I look after my daughter's dog whenever they go away. He does go to doggy day care for the occasional day if no one is going to be at home where they live.
When he comes to me I simply strike those days out in my diary and he is never left alone. I love having him. He seems to enjoy being here and quickly gets into a routine which is based on gardening, doing chores like accompanying me to hang out washing and then some concentrated play. Our day is fairly structured and he gains confidence and security by knowing what happens next. When he gets tired he puts himself to bed. When we had dogs of our own we either had the two grannies looking after them in our house or we chose holiday cottages that allowed dogs to stay.

Northerngirl28 Sat 25-Sep-21 17:40:53

We've used kennels and home boarding. I would definitely choose home boarding. Find a reputable company, we have family abroad and our current dog loved the family he stayed with. We have recently moved house and have to find another family but it is so worthwhile for peace of mind, knowing that your dog is happy too. Dogs live a long time and having someone you can reliably call on is important. It should also help your dogs confidence. Your puppy is young so this is a great time to start. Take your time, the right people would expect you to be thorough and cautious. Sometimes it's really good to have a day out without your dog or a family emergency might crop up. The right people can really support you with this. We also love our dog, he's brilliant and comes almost everywhere with us but we need to leave him at times and this has proved to be a great back up plan. Good luck.

kevincharley Sat 25-Sep-21 16:28:26

I've had dogs for most of my life and if a family member couldn't have them they've gone to boarding kennels. Not one of them has ever had an issue, no matter what their temperament. I've just dropped off our two German shepherds at a kennel we've not used before so it was all new to them. They left me without a backward glance, interested in the new people and the new place.
I've considered home boarding and dismissed it for this one reason. Kennels are more secure. I'm not criticizing all home boarders, there are some extremely good ones, but in a home situation there is a greater likelihood of something going wrong. Just this week I've heard of two professional dog walkers losing dogs. Doesn't happen in a boarding kennel.
The vast majority of dogs settle well in kennels. They have a routine, they are fed, exercised, played with and they usually enjoy their stay.
Book your dog for a trial run. Some places suggest one night but I'd suggest two so she has more chance to experience the routine. Explain to the kennel owner your concerns (they'll have heard it all before, trust me!) and ask them to ring you if she's distressed then you could pick her up early if necessary.
The staff are used to dealing with all types and temperaments and will take extra care of a newbie. The staff will be dog lovers and won't want to see a dog be upset.
It'll be the best thing you ever did, trust me!

Elegran Sat 25-Sep-21 16:21:16

petstay.net is the name of the one I mentioned. It has franchises all over the country, too.

BelindaB Sat 25-Sep-21 15:50:35

When I retired, I started a "doggy day care" business from my home, aimed mostly at dogs whose owners were going on holiday. It all got rather busy very quickly and although it made me a great deal of money (even though I charged less than half what the "professionals" did ) and made me some good friends, the lock down has killed it.

Nobody needs me to look after their dogs if they are working from home and can't get away on holiday! I've just had my first 2 "holiday dogs" since the start of the first lockdown.

As a life-long dog lover and owner, it seems that most owners would much rather have a little old granny like me looking after thier dog than some souless kennels. They are treated and loved exactly the same as my own and I always looked forward to the ever changing personalities.

Hopefully, it will pick up again now although at 75, I am having to take it a little more easy than I did when I started this, 12 years ago.

Maybe you should be looking for someone like me? Try your local vets' - they usually know anyone that will care for your puppy.

GrauntyHelen Sat 25-Sep-21 15:44:09

We are volunteer hosts for Barking Mad which has franchises all over the country Your pup would be looked after in a hosts home with all their usual routines and schedule adhered toIm alwaysamazed how quickly our new doggy guests settle in a d haveus wound round their pawGiveBarking Mad a Google

Daisymae Sat 25-Sep-21 15:37:33

I would never leave my dog in a kennel. Did it once years ago and my dog came back hoarse and she turned from a passive mutt into one that was very reactive to other dogs. I walk my dog in open countryside and I can hear the barking from a distant kennel, sometimes for the whole hour. I would find a dog boarder or of take her along. Generally I research where we can can go with dog in tow, its surprising how many places will find you somewhere you can sit with a dog if you ask. My dog has stayed in some of the best hotels too!

Jillsewing Sat 25-Sep-21 15:31:54

We have taken our dogs into pubs, restaurants many of them are dog friendly, more and more places are accepting dogs. Stately homes no but we have always found any small disadvantages are outweighed by the pleasure a dog gives.

Bluedaisy Sat 25-Sep-21 15:12:26

I’m in the same position as my Maltese baby has never been left since we’ve had him. I’ve got a friend who does house sit who lives in Rugby now so if you’re that area pm me. If not TRUSTED HOUSESITTERS are supposed to be good or in an emergency there’s the Cinamon trust, maybe they would know someone in your area.

vickya Sat 25-Sep-21 13:46:24

Just watched a 4 in a bed on 4 plaer and www.facebook.com/doghousemargate/ takes dogs. No extra charge and looks like a lovely B&B. You have a special memory mattress for the dog and breakfast in the room(a cooked one) includes a bowl of breakfast for your dog!

Stella14 Sat 25-Sep-21 13:32:37

I use this service, where the dog goes to stay with someone at their home - usually another retired couple. It’s a franchise, so available nationally I think. The organiser for your area will try to arrange for your dog to go to the same people each time. They send you pictures by texts whilst you are away. Everyone is DBS checked, has to have references etc. It’s expensive, but gives us peace of mind about our two little blokes ?
www.barkingmad.uk.com/

chrissyh Sat 25-Sep-21 13:13:46

With regard to the suggested TrustedHousesitters.com, my friends use them all the time for their beloved cat that adopted them. They have a caravan so go away quite a bit and have never had a problem. If you don't mind people staying in your house it works really well.