Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shortening words

(46 Posts)
Omalinda Tue 28-Sep-21 21:54:15

I know many many will think I’m just being rediculous with this but I hate shortened words like the ones used on here for family members. No offence to anyone that uses them. My daughters think I’m rediculous. When I send messages I always use the full words. It’s taken me a while to work out some abbreviations used on here. Mixing numbers and letters is another pet peeve. I just don’t understand why? Goodness I sound old and grumpy. I’m getting old but I promise I’m not grumpy ?

Early Wed 29-Sep-21 23:10:34

grumppa

SPAD also stands for Signal Passed At Danger on the railways, and therein lies the danger of so many abbreviations. I use the GN abbreviations only when their meaning is clear, e.g. DW (DH is also clear, but not one I would be expected to use).

This made my laugh grumpa. I wonder how many SPADs a SPAD passed while drive testing his eyes around Barnard Castle backalong, I'll get my coat ... smile

M0nica Wed 29-Sep-21 22:27:42

just under GRANSNET FORUMS

M0nica Wed 29-Sep-21 22:27:11

Neen At the top of the page, just click on 'Acronyms' and all will be revealed.

Neen Wed 29-Sep-21 18:34:42

I have no idea who or what people are talking about when they put OP or DH or SIL etc etc

Yammy Wed 29-Sep-21 18:15:08

I also said I wish I had studied Latin, people who have,have a much better understanding of a lot of words and can often work out the ones they don't initially know. Their command of English and Grammar is clearer and more concise than the rest of us. I live with one and are friends with a few.

Yammy Wed 29-Sep-21 18:06:05

sodapop

Fortunately my children and grandchildren understand both the written & spoken word Yammy so I can communicate easily with them. No need for text speak or abbreviations.
I am with you Maggiemaybe on hating those abbreviations for husband including DH.

It was meant to be tongue in cheek.
So can mine as an ex infants teacher I homeschooled for a lot of last year . I also would never dream of saying to them go and tell your DM. I did say when I get them right which is not often I'm still a bit erratic about using emojis and often end up with the word flower rather than an emoji and would never say Lol.

grumppa Wed 29-Sep-21 17:55:59

SPAD also stands for Signal Passed At Danger on the railways, and therein lies the danger of so many abbreviations. I use the GN abbreviations only when their meaning is clear, e.g. DW (DH is also clear, but not one I would be expected to use).

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 17:31:30

sodapop

I'm with BlueBelle and Omalinda others can do as they wish we will not be moved grin

I’m with you as well….

sodapop Wed 29-Sep-21 17:25:15

Fortunately my children and grandchildren understand both the written & spoken word Yammy so I can communicate easily with them. No need for text speak or abbreviations.
I am with you Maggiemaybe on hating those abbreviations for husband including DH.

Yammy Wed 29-Sep-21 17:06:13

They don't bother me either when I get them right and DH could stand for dog house as said.
After all, we are moving with the times as told by Keir Stammer today at the party conference. Most of us will not be applying for jobs anytime soon but we will be able to converse with grandchildren.
No Latin for me but I wish I had studied it.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Sep-21 15:51:41

We who don’t like them don’t use them ?
You who like them, use them but you may not always get the answer you are expecting ?
And never, never, never, complain about kids and their text speak ?

Omalinda Wed 29-Sep-21 15:17:54

Thanks for all the reactions.
Good to know I’m not completely on my own.

Curlywhirly Wed 29-Sep-21 13:13:35

easybee I think SPAD also stands for Special Advisor (a la Cummings etc).
I too am not keen on acronyms - I use them sometimes, but prefer to write the word in full. I was told by my son to refrain from using 'text speak' when texting- apparently only chavs do that! That's me told ?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 29-Sep-21 12:46:17

I like them and am going to continue using them. So there. grin

Blossoming Wed 29-Sep-21 12:36:38

They don’t bother me.

Edge26 Wed 29-Sep-21 12:14:50

I don't mind using them sometimes but prefer to write them out properly. Even when texting family and friends I always use the correct words and spelling.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 29-Sep-21 12:10:36

I don’t like the acronyms and don’t use them. Except OP, which saves me going back to see what their name is. They really grate (I know, I know). In many posts it’s obvious the ‘D’ is anything but dear or darling. Also hate hubby etc as Maggie says. I shall retreat to pedants’ corner where I belong.

trisher Wed 29-Sep-21 10:58:48

I use them all the time. Life is too short.. I also shock sometimes abbreviate poster's long names to initials. Maybe I'd just better apologise now! Sorry (but I'm still going to do it!)

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Sep-21 10:48:38

Actually, I have thought of an abbreviation I hate. Or rather three, all for the same person. Hubby, hubs, the hubster. envy Give me DH any time - and if he's in the doghouse, the D doesn't have to stand for dear!

Elless Wed 29-Sep-21 10:16:56

Totally agree, sometimes I give up on a long thread because I find the acronyms annoying. Some of them aren't on the list on the headings menu. I actually contacted GNHQ (sorry) asking if the site interface is likely to be updated regarding the emoji's and having to put * before and after words and they said they are currently updating Mumsnet and will be updating Gransnet in time. Being an ex typist I find it easy to use the full words but I appreciate some people may find the acronyms helpful.

sodapop Wed 29-Sep-21 10:05:44

I'm with BlueBelle and Omalinda others can do as they wish we will not be moved grin

eazybee Wed 29-Sep-21 09:50:05

Just trawled through a political thread and had to look up two abbreviations I had forgotten: EDL, English Defence League and SPAD, Single Photon Avalanche Diode, apparently.

eazybee Wed 29-Sep-21 09:32:35

I dislike them. I have read several uncomplimentary ones about GPs or SILs only to realise they were describing grandparents, not doctors, sister-in-law rather than son-in-law. Not always clear from context.
For the sake of clarity one should always use the name or word in full once, before abbreviating, particularly in discussions about groups unfamiliar to some readers, for example trans, TRAs, terfs and others which feature rather a lot at present.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Sep-21 09:19:23

I’m happy with them. They save time and become second nature after a while. Imho (grin) it’s easier to type and to process DGD2 rather than my second eldest granddaughter. Yes, DS and DSIL can be confusing, but the meaning’s usually obvious from the context.

And no one’s forced to use them.

Sarnia Wed 29-Sep-21 09:09:55

The abbreviations on phone messages get my goat.