Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

‘ This Morning’ with Phil and Holly

(130 Posts)
DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:31:28

Just thought I’d put this out there to see what others think. My daughter was telling me about an episode of ‘ This Morning’ she saw.

The basic gist was...a new mum phoned in with a problem. My daughter said the Agony Aunt is a granny, she’s seen her before, and she’s talked about her grandchildren.

The new mum has a month old baby, and the paternal grandparents are insisting that they visit the young couple in their home...for Christmas Day. The mum was saying she and her husband don’t want this. They want the first Christmas to be just them and their new baby. They certainly don’t want to be hosting.

The problem was put to this agony aunt, and my daughter said she basically said they should have the grandparents. It would be awful for them to “ miss out” on baby’s first Christmas. Phil seemed to agree, and most of the audience. I didn’t think there was an audience, but I never watch it. Holly tried to see it from the young mum’s point of view, but I think in the end, the young mum felt railroaded into agreeing she should have them for the day....and everyone cheered.

My daughter was gobsmacked by this....and so was I. There was no mention of her parents.

Sorry...I can’t do the link thing, but what do you think? Maybe some of you saw it. I know there are grandparents who seem to want to do it all again....they’re on here....but I felt this sounded so imposing I was speechless, which is unusual for me!

So...over to you.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:17:14

Hello..just a quick update. I spoke to my daughter about the responses I’d had on this thread. She went on Facebook to look for it. Apparently, this is where she had seen it...not on the tv. So the person who put it up was seething as well!
So here’s the link. It’s even worse than she remembered.
fb.watch/8UbwJYYpo-/

JaneJudge Mon 25-Oct-21 18:45:24

Denise used to do it, she was quite a lovely character

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 25-Oct-21 11:05:16

JaneJudge

DiscoDancer1975

Ps...one of you mentioned the Agony Aunt was Deidre from Dear Deidre. When we first married, we used to get The Sun, and I never agreed with any of her responses to problems.

Says it all really....

it was me smile

Thank you Jane. I was trying to find who it would have been on line, but it kept talking about the death of the previous one, who I did recognise, but still never saw the programme.

DeeDe Mon 25-Oct-21 08:55:30

Talking of the THIS MORNING program
I’d like to see Allison and Someone take over from Phil and Holly… in my opinion their too full of self importance
grin

MissAdventure Sun 24-Oct-21 22:15:42

I always spent Christmas with my mum, and then when my girl grew up we all spent Christmas together.
Happy times, they were. smile

valdali Sun 24-Oct-21 22:08:16

It depends so much on what you've grown up with. My mum used to invite both sets of grandparents, & the "honary " grandparents from up the lane, her S-i-L and husband and my riding teacher (as she lived alone) as a minimum. If she wasn't doing christmas, my gran-her MiL- would & her house too would be full of friends & family. My first christmas with just me, DH & DS1 was last year (married 35 years) because of Covid. Otherwise we've been with family from one side or the other or both they've come here, my first baby was 6 weeks at christmas, we went to my in-laws for the day.I'm not big on cooking & entertaining but at Christmas I love it. I've never felt I was "waiting on" any of my family, they're all very good at helping without taking over. Just depends on the individual & your ideal christmas, but I do agree that the grandparents this thread is discussing are a bit obtuse if they actually invited themselves for Christmas lunch at their D-i-Laws.

Mistyfluff8 Sun 24-Oct-21 21:37:25

Why do grandparents want to co and sit down all day and expect to be waited on .The parents need a quiet Christmas and with a baby you never know what time you will eat Tell them NO just come for an hour if necessary .My husbands parents would just sit and expect to be waited on even for a cup of tea .Now as a granny I do what the parents ask so they can have their life

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 24-Oct-21 21:29:51

I haven’t watched that programme since Richard and Judy were on it and I was off work with a b******d arm.

JaneJudge Sun 24-Oct-21 21:24:05

DiscoDancer1975

Ps...one of you mentioned the Agony Aunt was Deidre from Dear Deidre. When we first married, we used to get The Sun, and I never agreed with any of her responses to problems.

Says it all really....

it was me smile

humptydumpty Sun 24-Oct-21 21:21:44

I have to put my hand up here and say that I really like watching Philip and Holly!

DeeDe Sun 24-Oct-21 20:55:19

Didn’t see the program
But I used to love having mine and my husbands parents round every Easter, Xmas and many other times throughout the year we’d all chip in together and had so many amazing and fun times we even as we all lived quite close have a games evening on a Friday.. even hire a mini bus and all go out together to a zoo or to the coast.
I loved it, sadly both our sets of parents are dead now, but my grown children themselves grandparents still laugh and talk about the family fun times we all had,
One Xmas we invited an aunt and uncle, who lived further away to join us, and they were still with us all to see the new year in
Memory making at its best, such happy times .

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 24-Oct-21 19:25:29

Says it all really....

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 24-Oct-21 19:23:09

Thank you for all your responses. Have been off gransnet the last few days, and came back to five pages.

Good to see most people agree. We were like many of you...Christmas Day was church, which was just an hour in a party atmosphere, then just us and kids. We tended to see other people on Boxing Day, but this chopped and changed around as we were in and out of estrangement!

My daughter will be pleased, as it made her quite angry. I’ve no idea why she had that drivel on either!

Amalegra Sun 24-Oct-21 01:42:52

I never watch this silly programme with the smug and self righteous Phillip Scofield and his simpering (and frequently tearful) sidekick, not to mention the annoying ‘experts’! I do think this advice is completely up the creek and should not be taken seriously by the young mother who should not be manipulated by her selfish in laws. There is plenty of time over this Christmas and many more to come to enjoy their grandchild. They have hopefully themselves enjoyed their own special times as parents without interference and should let this couple do the same. I am a grandmother and would not dream of acting in this way. If I, or my daughter’s in laws, did the same, I know where she would tell us all to go! (And I wouldn’t blame her!).

asd123 Sat 23-Oct-21 23:51:09

Cant stand Holly or Phil with their smug faces so dont watch This Morning

User7777 Sat 23-Oct-21 22:41:59

It's an intrusion. All day... jeez. Clearly they forgot the sleepless nights, exhaustion etc with newborns. One hour maximum at THEIR home where they cook, and wash up for the frazzled new parents

Redhead56 Sat 23-Oct-21 19:11:13

I don't watch daytime tv other things are more important. Unless specially invited by the new parents I would not impose and most certainly not make demands.

Beanie654321 Sat 23-Oct-21 18:52:27

As a Mamgu, grandmother, I have never insisted that I spend time with any member of family. If my daughter wants to spend first Christmas with husband and daughter so be it. I am glad I done watch that program and I think it is so wrong for any one taking sides in another families dynamics.

VioletSky Sat 23-Oct-21 18:42:49

I don't watch it

I do think everyone's feelings matter

So new parents should be able to say no and have Christmas their way but I understand that family members who would normally do things differently might be upset by that.

The thing is, I personally think inviting yourselves to other people's houses is wrong so spending Christmas together would be me inviting new parents to me... If they said no and wanted to crew te their own traditions I'd try for boxing day...

HiMay Sat 23-Oct-21 18:31:49

1. Don’t watch the programme
2. New parents should have the day as they wish
3. As a grandparent myself, I would not consider insisting on any issue regarding the offsprings’ decisions about their children or their arrangements for visiting

knspol Sat 23-Oct-21 18:14:18

Unbelievable to put a new mum under so much pressure, difficult to understand why any agony aunt would promote such a selfish idea. The new parents should just say a very emphatic 'NO' and warn that they won't be answering the door to any uninvited guests on the Day. Maybe plan a day before or after Christmas Day when new parents visit inlaws to exchange presents etc depending, of course, on distances involved.

Greciangirl Sat 23-Oct-21 17:55:15

I wish I didn’t have to spend it with mine,

I find the whole business stressful.

Christmas with relatives, that is.

crozzybird Sat 23-Oct-21 17:53:44

I feel that the grandparents should be working with the young family and not insist on anything....if the young mum gives in on this point she is going to have to give in on everything else throughout her marriage which is going to put a strain on her relationship with her husband and her in laws for the rest of her marriage...the in laws should be putting the new family first and not themselves.

Fronkydonky Sat 23-Oct-21 17:37:30

I cannot watch the programme any longer as Philip and Holly make me sick, but this new mother should stand up for what she would like to do, and I can assure you, that hosting Christmas lunch will not be number one on her list with a tiny demanding baby. If the father does not support her on this his parents will be thinking they call all the shots and will be having her jumping through hoops to please them. Back off grandparents -and give this new mother chance to settle in without any pressure. Pop in for an hour with gifts then go and cook your own Christmas lunch?

KentEssex Sat 23-Oct-21 17:21:18

Strange how everyone seems to dislike Philip and Holly (including me). So many other likeable presenters around. Yet these two are used so much by top advertisers. Obviously the money mob business people don't have access to Gransnet!