Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandmother names?

(76 Posts)
RebeccaJane Mon 29-Nov-21 16:46:19

Hello everyone ? I’m new here ?
I have just found out I am going to be a grandmother and I am so excited ☺️
I am 40 so quite young I think to be a grandparent so I would like a cute name that doesn’t make me feel older than I am ? I’m not ready for grandma yet! Any ideas ? X

Ali08 Sat 11-Dec-21 11:44:07

I'm Grandma, or Grandermar as mispronounced by my eldest sometime last year, I think, and it's stuck.
Others are nanny, tho one is quite interfering and is now called by her first name by the eldest ones (13 & almost 12).
In some instances its whatever the child manages to pronounce, which we all know could be absolutely anything!
In some countries it's mumu or momo (mum's mum,mother's mother) etc!
I was in my mid 40s when I became a grandmother, and have never taken to being nanny. Nanna would've been accepted, but they all call me Grandma, or Grandermar, so I'm happy.
Maybe they could call you Reba, or something else from your name!
Congratulations, BTW, you're going to have so much fun!!

CountessFosco Wed 08-Dec-21 12:09:16

We used until recently to live in France so automatically became Grandmère and Grandpère, although this wouldn't necessarily suit many unless you have had a similar experience

Grannmarie Mon 06-Dec-21 18:07:29

Congratulations, OP, you have so much to look forward to!

My grandmothers were Gran, ( Sarah) and Nanna (Hannah). Nanna was unusual at that time, 1950s, in our area.

My DMum and DDad were Gran and Papa, that is our choice also.

DGS1 and DGD call their maternal grandparents Nonna and Nonno, DGS 2's maternal grandmother is Granny, so we all have our own names.
It is a very special feeling when your DGC starts to call you by this name, DGS2 is at this stage now, it's so lovely.

GrandmasueUK Mon 06-Dec-21 16:56:31

I wanted to be Grandma, but I am Granny Sue and I love it. To be honest I wouldn't care what they call me (within reason!) as I just love to hear them say it.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 05-Dec-21 18:08:33

My grandchildren call me Mammar (that's the way they spell it), which is very usual around this way.

Shelflife Sat 04-Dec-21 23:22:30

Congratulations on becoming a Grandma at 40 , you will have bags of energy. I had a three year old when I was 40! Choose a name you are comfortable with , I have always been Grandma and DH is Grandpa. I wanted the title of Grandma because I am one and you will be too - very soon! You are going to be a young Grandma , but it is who you will be. Whatever name you choose , enjoy your new role .

Oldnproud Fri 03-Dec-21 12:59:32

I'm Grandma to two, and Baba to the youngest.

Kalu Fri 03-Dec-21 11:45:54

GD1 called me Guy until she finally managed to say Granny, family tradition and I proudly became Granny to two DGs. My opposite disliked being known as a grandmother, in denial she was old enough to be one, both girls call her Gran!

glammanana Fri 03-Dec-21 11:19:28

i have always been called Nanna by my DGCs & GGCs and my late husband called Grampy there is nothing better than hearing my youngest DGD shouting through the letter box nana I'm here please open the door .

nanna8 Fri 03-Dec-21 11:09:27

I’m nanna and 2 of my children have become nannas which makes me great nanna for 3 babies and another on the way. My Grandmother on my father’s side was nanna,too. I have 12 grandchildren. Sometimes we feel like Abraham and his descendants!

Dottygran59 Fri 03-Dec-21 11:07:53

I'm Granny to my 6 - Gwanny to the toddlers lol - love it, always called my grandmothers Granny (surname) - if it's good enough for the Queen. Lovely that you will be a young granny - you'll need all that energy and will be overwhelmed by the love that you feel for this tiny thing

henetha Fri 03-Dec-21 11:03:34

I've been Nan to all my grandchildren and I just love it.
It's less ageing than Granny etc.

Calistemon Fri 03-Dec-21 09:57:54

lemsip

well, seeing the title 'Grandmother names' I thought that was what it was at first, well my grandmothers were Sarah isabella and Harriet Caroline

I was nanny and nanny park because i took them there.

Me too - mine were Eveline and Eva

(Not that anyone on here is interested ?)

Witzend Fri 03-Dec-21 09:53:34

I’m granny, and so is the other granny, distinguished with the addition of her name when necessary.
I don’t like any of the other names. Grandma sounds older and fatter than granny to me - daft, I know!

And I never liked ‘nanny’ but it still sounded very sweet from both elder Gdcs when they couldn’t yet manage to say ‘granny’.

lemsip Fri 03-Dec-21 09:48:45

well, seeing the title 'Grandmother names' I thought that was what it was at first, well my grandmothers were Sarah isabella and Harriet Caroline

I was nanny and nanny park because i took them there.

Humbertbear Fri 03-Dec-21 09:42:01

I am Bubba to all my GC. It’s a Yiddish name. We often add the first name of the person concerned so when I was growing up I had a Bubba G - and a Bubba S - . My GC have three as they also have a great-grandmother. My own mother was called bubba by all my friends in the babysitting circle years ago. The male equivalent is Zaida.

JaneJudge Fri 03-Dec-21 08:05:30

A goat in a coat, if pushed will it float?
I don't like to gloat but I am a stoat

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Dec-21 08:04:05

There's always someone who has to comment about it being the name for hired help

At least we haven’t had the “or a goat” comment yet. Though there’s still time….

ayse Fri 03-Dec-21 07:26:36

Interesting isn’t it? I’m Nan to my two oldest, the next three call me Grandma and the youngest call me Nanny.

As we have a bit of a chaotic family, the grandparents names have been used to identify different grand parents and step grand parents.

I always tell my grandchildren I don’t mind what they call me, as long as it’s not rude ?

Aveline Fri 03-Dec-21 07:18:24

People are entitled to their opinions. In my opinion as opposed to yours Nana etc sounds much older than Gran.

Nansnet Fri 03-Dec-21 04:18:44

I can never understand why some GMs have to comment that they dislike certain names, and much prefer their own choice, as though they think it's somehow superior.

Why the need to say what they choose to be called, then have to follow up by saying they dislike, or would never want to be called Nanna/Nan/ Nanny/etc.? There's always someone who has to comment about it being the name for hired help, but in the region where I grew up, it was (and still is) probably the most popular choice amongst GMs ... and none of them are hired help!

I'm Nannie, as were both my GMs, and my own DM, & MiL, to my own children. I'm very proud of it, and love to hear my name being called by my GD.

Don't listen to others when they say they dislike certain names, it's just petty. Just be thankful that you're lucky enough to be a GM, and enjoy whatever name you choose, or your GC chooses to call you.

RebeccaJane, in answer to your question, I do think Nana/Nanna/Nanny/Nannie, are younger sounding names, but whatever you decide to call yourself is up to you, and your heart will melt each time you hear your little GC call your name!

lil57 Tue 30-Nov-21 12:24:06

I have 10 grandchildren, I was 41 when the first one was born, she is now 23! I am Grandma to them all. I chose to be called grandma and I love it!

Sarahmob Tue 30-Nov-21 11:50:32

I am Grammy, I picked the name and love it ❤️

MeowWow Tue 30-Nov-21 11:49:18

I’m granny to all my grandchildren and I love it ?

jaylucy Tue 30-Nov-21 11:48:06

One of my aunts was known as "Cuckoo" by some of her grandchildren - that was what she always called out to them whenever she saw them and it sort of stuck !