Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to get for DD1 for achieving an MA ?

(51 Posts)
kittylester Thu 20-Jan-22 11:53:00

We are really proud of DD1 who has, during a pandemic, with a husband, 2 early teens, a house to run and a mad dog, achieved an MA. 40 people started this new course but only DD and one other person have graduated.

We want to buy her something fun to commemorate her achievement. Her Dh is going to buy her a nice piece of jewellery so we can't go down that route.

Anyone any good ideas please.

kittylester Fri 21-Jan-22 18:20:18

Mummer

She's your daughter why ask a bunch of strangers?

Lots of people on here are my friends not strangers!

Maw brilliant and obvs!! grin

seaside, DD is darling daughter - there is a list of acronyms somewhere.

anneeba the art was for my dh (her father)

She shows no sign of wanting to do a PhD (or not bloody likely - to quote!!)

We took her to the pub for lunch today and she told us that they are not going to the Graduation Ceremony as there were not enough 'tickets' for them all to go.

Thank you for all your ideas - plenty to think about!

Juicylucy Fri 21-Jan-22 18:17:30

Seaside girl DD =darling daughter

Anneeba Fri 21-Jan-22 17:46:23

AS she chose artwork for her husband to thank him, I'd suggest a painting for her. Something that lasts forever, can be handed down and is unique. Nothing to do with my being married to an artist, honest ?

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 16:09:35

Whitewavemark2

We always go out for a really nice big family meal.

This sounds more appropriatesmile

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 16:08:35

LovelyLady

A quality painting of her choice.

I’m going to be a misery guts here, but I got nowt for my MA and a bouquet of flowers for my PGCE (which was far more challenging).

LovelyLady Fri 21-Jan-22 15:04:37

A quality painting of her choice.

SeasideGir1 Fri 21-Jan-22 15:01:41

Please can I ask… what’s a DD?

Cabbie21 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:32:56

Tandem sky dive? Langar airfield, not too far from you..

Juicylucy Fri 21-Jan-22 14:22:25

A Weekend away, far better than anything material. I feel it would be appreciated far more.

4allweknow Fri 21-Jan-22 14:06:14

Congratulations to your daughter and a Well Done to the family who must have given support. I did think of a family photo and then remembered there are photographers who do "outside" photos. Perhaps there is a favourite place your DD enjoys with her family and dog and would relish that being captured to celebrate her success.

GoldenAge Fri 21-Jan-22 13:19:44

kittylester - well done to your daughter - she must have been very motivated to stick with her course with her other responsibilities and that makes me think this might be an area of study that she's really into and might want to pursue even further - so maybe find out what she intends to do with the MA, whether it's the forerunner of a PhD or a new career and when you have that information choose something that will make a link between her MA success and the rest of her life. Well done to her and to you for your support.

Witzend Fri 21-Jan-22 13:05:54

Kim19

Perhaps the element of surprise and innovation, Mummer? A bit harsh and unnecessarry (to put it mildly!).

When people post on threads simply to disparage or pour cold water, I often think an acronym they use on MN would be appropriate:
ODFOD
I’m not going to translate - there might be pearl-clutchers about. ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 21-Jan-22 12:57:50

We always go out for a really nice big family meal.

vissos Fri 21-Jan-22 12:57:18

Depends on your budget. Fountain pens are lovely & having recently discovered retractable ones, I'd highly recommend a Pilot Capless (aka Vanishing Point) or Decimo (if she'd prefer a slimmer pen). You can get them in lovely colours!

SueEH Fri 21-Jan-22 12:52:19

My son’s MSc graduation was last week. Half done during covid lockdowns and although he was given the opportunity to defer his thesis for a year he wanted to get finished and get a job. Which he has done. Very proud of him. I didn’t buy him anything in particular but paid for his cap/gown and photos and treated six of us to a slap up brunch before the ceremony.

Grannybadger Fri 21-Jan-22 12:39:14

The ideas you have all given are fantastic. I gained my MA at the end of 2020 and have my graduation ceremony this April, Thursday lovely thing to go with this is that my sil is also graduating with his BSc at the same time (OU) so I have booked for a family photo to be taken and I aim to get both my dd’s, dh, sil and all 3 grandchildren in the photo with me, so we can all have a lovely reminder of our achievements.

madeleine45 Fri 21-Jan-22 12:31:31

so I would go for 2 things . Something permanent, so perhaps she might like to either go on her own or with you to an art exhibtion . You must love your own pictures no one can choose for y ou but it would be something to see and enjoy and be a reminder on the wall that can travel with her wherever she goes. Then the other thing that I have done for various family occasions is to buy a tree with the Woodland Trust . No plaques or things like that but they showed maps where they were planting and we chose an area. So for my parents ruby wedding we children bought 4 trees which were in the chilterns near where they were living. I got an os map showing the area and they went to walk around there the following summer and we all managed to go and have a walk about 5 years later . The other thing is a plant for the garden if she has a garden or a plant in a pot, depending what she likes . How about a ginkgo or acer , or again the lovely cornus or winter flowering honeysuckle which gives a lovely scent from very small flowers . Then if they are planted in the ground and she knows that she might be moving she will be able to have a cutting from the original plant to take with her to her new home. Hope these ideas are some help. How lovely for all of you to celebrate all her hard work

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 12:23:33

Mummer

If we all took that rather uncharitable attitude there would be no Gransnet.
We all like to have a chat here. It’s nice smile

Kim19 Fri 21-Jan-22 12:17:16

Perhaps the element of surprise and innovation, Mummer? A bit harsh and unnecessarry (to put it mildly!).

Tish Fri 21-Jan-22 12:12:02

Depending on budget/distance/ offer to pay for a lovely meal/overnight stay you babysitting/dog sitting if required?

Mummer Fri 21-Jan-22 12:10:29

Roddi3363 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:37:32

Congratulations to her. I achieved an MA under similar circumstances (minus the pandemic) whilst commuting as a Headteacher in London. I've never regretted it as it was so useful in so many ways. I used to read on the train commute. My children have also told me later that I was a role-model for them as they studied too.

Give her something to remember her achievement.

MayBeMaw Fri 21-Jan-22 11:36:36

Hard to say, but I would definitely send this card!

Well done her! (Must take after her Mum)

Alioop Fri 21-Jan-22 11:31:20

Well done to her. Maybe a nice spa day for her to relax with no kids, mad dog, etc. The framing sounds great too.

Witzend Fri 21-Jan-22 09:59:15

Congrats to your dd!
A present we once gave to a dd, was a prepaid dinner, bed and breakfast, in a very nice old hotel a short drive away, while we stayed overnight to babysit the first Gdc.