Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Resting Miserable Face

(82 Posts)
Havemercy Mon 16-May-22 14:05:01

It's happened again! I was at a social event at the weekend where I didn't know many people but feeling relaxed and cheerful - looking forward to meeting new people etc. Someone then said to me - "are you ok - you look unhappy?" This has been said to me many times over the years - I would say 'resting b****h face is my expression but what can I do about it and has anyone else suffered from this? I think I am a cheerful friendly person but evidently don't look it. I know that this is a minor thing in the great scheme of things. Any helpful hints appreciated. It's not an age thing- used to get accused of having a sour expression when a young woman az well.

varian Thu 19-May-22 18:56:22

Perhaps we should turn this to our advantage.

Us miserable looking folk have obviously not had botox or plastic surgery, so we are genuine folk, not obsessed with our appearance or trying to look younger or nicer or friendlier than we actually are.

It is not so much a case of "what you see is what you get" but "you might be surprised how nice she actually is"

Mau52 Thu 19-May-22 17:18:36

I’ve been told this. Resting b**ch face as you say. I’ve recently had some Botox injections supposed to help downturned mouth. It’s helped a bit but needs to be topped up

Caleo Thu 19-May-22 15:35:16

The large number of responses here shows male attitudes of patronising and trivialising women is a thing .

I don't know how this attitude of some men can be dealt with.
after this topic was discussed here I asked both my sons if it had happened to them. It never had happened to them. Younger son suggested the response" I will be happier when you go away".

Dickens Thu 19-May-22 07:30:22

Caleo

I was once in a pub sitting alone while my companion was absent for a pee. A man in a nearby group moved across to me and said "Cheer up" or some such inanity. I was so incensed I stood up grasping my empty lager glass and he was afraid I'd actually hit him with it.

When my male companion returned this idiot man apologised to HIM (not me!) saying "Sorry , mate, I didn't know she was with someone."

When my male companion returned this idiot man apologised to HIM (not me!) saying "Sorry , mate, I didn't know she was with someone."

He thought you were fair game - a woman on her own... who is obviously just gagging for attention from any random male.

We've still got a long way to go, haven't we?

lemsip Wed 18-May-22 20:33:46

oh yes, I have one of those,, I walk along with a sort of mini smile on my face and do smile at anyone...told I have a lovely smile

Menopaws Wed 18-May-22 19:47:50

I seem to have a judgemental face apparently and it is often mentioned. I am never rude to people or blank them but I can't change it!
When I smile I'm told it's lovely so I am extreme with whatever I do!

leeds22 Wed 18-May-22 17:38:47

Another one with a miserable resting face. My top lip is getting thinner, so that’s making it even worse. As for my passport photo, I get that done professionally which gets a much better look.

BlueSky Wed 18-May-22 11:48:01

I’ve had (jovial) remarks made about my height (or lack of it) too. I laugh with them but it is hurtful. I wouldn’t dream of making such comments about a person’s weight, so why do they feel free to do so?

Caleo Wed 18-May-22 11:43:19

I was once in a pub sitting alone while my companion was absent for a pee. A man in a nearby group moved across to me and said "Cheer up" or some such inanity. I was so incensed I stood up grasping my empty lager glass and he was afraid I'd actually hit him with it.

phantom12 Wed 18-May-22 11:33:35

I have often had 'Cheer up it might never happen said to me', even when I have been enjoying myself. I am the sort of person who prefers to sit and people watch at things like wedding receptions and you get these people who try to drag you onto the dance floor saying come and enjoy yourself with me. Why don't they get it that some people don't enjoy that kind of thing. Add to this the fact that I have always hated my teeth and don't like showing them in an open mouthed smile.

Cabbie21 Wed 18-May-22 09:08:40

Not quite on the topic, but last weekend I was at a singing workshop. One of the techniques we were taught was to use a look of Happy Surprise, to reach the top notes. It worked.

Thereafter, he called it our “Christmas face”!
Worth remembering.

BlueSky Wed 18-May-22 08:08:03

I’ve been told that I look down, miserable, depressed, always by women. Definitely worse now I’m older, would need a facelift but don’t like surgical intervention even when needed. That’s why I didn’t mind face masks. Yes the passport photos where you can’t wear glasses and smile, are a nightmare!

Georgesgran Tue 17-May-22 21:06:20

The vertical lines between eyebrows are known as elevens. (11).

My MIL always looked as if she’d been sucking a lemon. Sour faced with a personality to match!

Lauren59 Tue 17-May-22 21:00:02

Inappropriate contact!

Lauren59 Tue 17-May-22 20:59:27

When I was a child around eleven years old, I was extremely shy and wanted to crawl away and hide rather than have attention drawn to me. There was a teacher who was very full of himself and he would call me “smiley” every day as a joke so the class would snicker. I found out later that he was fired due to appropriate contact with a few girls. THAT made me smile. ?

BeEmerald Tue 17-May-22 19:23:02

I’m learning a lot today ! Thank you !!

Blondiescot Tue 17-May-22 18:51:14

BeEmerald

I don’t know what marionette lines are either ? Are they what I call tram lines ( remember them ?) two vertical lines between your eyebrows ?

No, they are the deep lines which form from your nose down to either side of your lips - think of how the mouth on a puppet or marionette looks.

BeEmerald Tue 17-May-22 18:20:24

I don’t know what marionette lines are either ? Are they what I call tram lines ( remember them ?) two vertical lines between your eyebrows ?

varian Tue 17-May-22 18:12:53

Madashell

This is why Covid face masks were soo useful - no one even looked at anyone else a few months back.

To make any form of personal comment is very rude.

Too true Madashell

During the time of compulsory masks at supermarkets I had a chat with someone I slightly know who was working at the checkout. She asked me if I was still working and when I told her I had retired a few years ago at the age of 73 she was genuinely astonished as she seemed to think I was about fifteen years younger than I actually am.

I'm thinking of wearing a facemask everywhere from now on.

harrysgran Tue 17-May-22 17:49:05

I hate it when this comment is made we don't know what others have on their mind or is happening in their lives I find it rude and intrusive and more often said by a man to a woman alone like they are owed your attention. I was in a supermarket recently it was said to me later I saw the same man at the checkout by which time I'd met up with my daughter I said " that's the man who made the rude comment" at which point he scuttled away obviously not so brave

Madashell Tue 17-May-22 16:57:47

This is why Covid face masks were soo useful - no one even looked at anyone else a few months back.

To make any form of personal comment is very rude.

CBBL Tue 17-May-22 16:34:28

I'm another person with an apparently "severe" expression. I've been told that I look "Aloof" and "Disapproving", when I'm trying to look "open" and friendly! I smile at people who smile at me, and even those who look curious.
I'm at a bit of a disadvantage though, since I am partially sighted and can't see a person's expression until they are pretty close to me. I'm also guilty of waving back at people who are waving at someone else, because I'm not completely sure who they are, or even if it is someone I know!

Madmother21 Tue 17-May-22 16:17:45

We’re all in good company, the Queen has a very solemn resting face but then can suddenly beam!

CoffeeFirst1 Tue 17-May-22 15:47:26

I hate it when folk say this. I’ve had it said a couple of times and I wasn’t miserable more tired or just thinking or something.
I usually laugh if someone says it now, but they haven’t for ages (thank god).

Lizzie44 Tue 17-May-22 15:44:38

Thank you AreWeThereYet. I'm now up to speed on marionette lines and have just spent a bizarre few minutes in front of the mirror pulling my face into exaggerated shapes...