Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bowel test

(59 Posts)
Nana56 Sat 02-Jul-22 13:23:12

I know it's ridiculous but does anyone else have really bad anxiety about doing the bowel cancer test?

FarNorth Sat 09-Jul-22 16:06:51

Well done Nana56 ??

Aveline Sat 09-Jul-22 11:55:37

Great to hear. What a relief for you.

Nana56 Sat 09-Jul-22 11:46:51

Thank you all for your comments. I did the test which was very simple. Today got the all clear smile

Thistlelass Fri 08-Jul-22 04:14:29

The test is now easier to complete. I did one which was clear. That said upper endoscopy revealed a Tubulovillous adenoma (large) in my duodenum. When a çolonoscopy was performed 3 polyps were removed from the main bowel. They were not malignant.

The one I mention in the duodenum is more rare and worrying. Mine is being treated every 3 months endoscopically but I find myself thinking lately maybe best just take the duodenum away - the polyp is either growing back or new ones are developing.

Marmight Mon 04-Jul-22 07:13:47

I’m with Wildswan and Audi10. I’m grateful the tests are available and just do them. Unless you have symptoms there’s no point in worrying about the results.

SunshineSally Mon 04-Jul-22 03:27:55

Lol FarNorth are you posting on the right thread? ?

FarNorth Mon 04-Jul-22 03:24:03

I wore my Everly Brothers t-shirt to bed and realised that all I have to do is dream, dream, dream.

FarNorth Mon 04-Jul-22 03:20:41

I wore my Cornershop t-shirt to bed and realised everybody needs a bosom for a pillow.

FarNorth Mon 04-Jul-22 03:18:50

I wore my Stealers Wheel t-shirt to bed and found myself stuck in the middle with you.

BlueSky Mon 04-Jul-22 00:29:37

I think it’s normal to be nervous about test results. Also we’ve got to realise that they have limitations, in fact the letter tells you to contact your GP if you develop symptoms after a negative test. But like others I would be even more anxious if they didn’t test, so I intend to going on requesting them even after the recalling age.

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:30:34

Auntieflo

We both did the tests when they were sent.

But now, presumably because we are too old, DH is 83, I am 80, they are no longer sent out to us.

You are too old to be invited but you can still request a screening every 2 years.... call 0800 707 60 60 ( free helpline number)

Oldbat1 Sun 03-Jul-22 15:54:12

As well as bowel cancer my husband also had prostate cancer found in 2008. It required his prostate to be removed as it was found to be a rapid growing cancer. No follow up chemo required for that as caught early. He has two checks a year and now 15yrs clear. I think all men should have psa tests but seemingly the results aren’t good enough. Consultant said his brothers should definitely be checked also which they didn’t want to do.

Grantanow Sun 03-Jul-22 11:40:04

The bowel test may save your life. I do it every 2 years.

Whiff Sun 03-Jul-22 11:36:41

Tests for anything doesn't bother me . If anyone ones to test me for anything I always say yes. I don't worry about the results because there is no point. I have been ill for 34 years finally this year I found out what it was all thanks to my neurologist who had my blood genetically tested. I was born with it and it's rare. I am 64 now my husband died from malignant melanoma grade 4 when he was 47. So having tests done is nothing I am grateful that in this country we can get tested for various things. And because of testing more people can live a longer life. Unfortunately we always knew my husband wouldn't live 5 years he lived 3.

It's better to know if something is wrong than die in ignorance.

Shinamae Sun 03-Jul-22 11:15:57

My brother died of bowel cancer in 2003 unfortunately there were no tests then. I have had colonoscopies and blood tests since as well as doing their faecal blood tests and I would do any and every test available to me including breast screening, we are so lucky that we have screening now, if it has been around in 2003 maybe my brother would not have died

Athrawes Sun 03-Jul-22 11:01:08

I don't like taking tests but I do them - it doesn't take long and can save your life. I've had a colonoscopy in the past. That wasn't pleasant but worth it. The staff were great. I'm over the age of general breast cancer testing and having trouble finding where I can have one done. Just because I'm 'old' doesn't mean I'm ready for the 'off'. I find the test VERY uncomfortable but again it can save your life.

Yammy Sun 03-Jul-22 09:55:47

Don't try to think about what you are doing, just do it. I lost my cousin to it last summer she had put off going to Dr,s as she was busy with her Chronically ill husband and grandchildren. It only took six weeks from diagnosis to the end. Then she had gone.
Now the family is faced with the DNA diagnostic tests for breast cancer as I lost a cousin in OZ last week and have one suffering in England. Both countries have said there is and has been so much in the family all the females will probably be tested. I dread these things as well and as another OP said we all joked about it at work to make it better, my chemist's assistant told me she found it so repulsive she did not send enough and had to repeat.
Thinking of you a lot of us feel the same.flowers

Kate1949 Sun 03-Jul-22 09:43:06

Witzend I agree re the PSA test. Fortunately my husband goes for all his tests. A few years ago we were watching a campaign on TV outlining the symptoms of prostate cancer and he realised he had one of the symptoms and went to the GP. He did indeed have prostate cancer and consequently is here to tell the tale.

Smileless2012 Sun 03-Jul-22 09:38:27

Yes, I get anxious because my mum had bowel cancer. She ignored the signs for a year but came through with surgery and chemo so I always do the test as the sooner cancer is diagnosed, the easier it is to treat and cure.

Redhead56 Sun 03-Jul-22 09:35:19

We all suffer anxiety one way and another because we worry about the outcome of tests. My fear has always been the smear test I have had quite a few procedures in that particular area. The actual smear test has always been painful for me.

The bowel cancer the test you do at home is painless and the results come through quickly. I also believe that when it’s caught early after treatment the results are usually very successful take the test.

Happygirl79 Sun 03-Jul-22 09:24:49

I always do my test and so far so good. Negative. My brother in law didn't do his and died of bowel cancer. He was told he could have been helped if he had done the test. A tragic loss of a lovely man

Jane43 Sun 03-Jul-22 09:09:14

Auntieflo

We both did the tests when they were sent.

But now, presumably because we are too old, DH is 83, I am 80, they are no longer sent out to us.

The bowel screening is done up to the age of 74 but you can request further tests if you want them.

DH and I have done them throughout the period that they were sent out to us and I wouldn’t say we were anxious about them. It isn’t very pleasant to do it but the benefits outweigh this and we have always received the results very quickly so no we haven’t been anxious about doing the tests.

Witzend Sun 03-Jul-22 09:05:33

Ditto to men getting a PSA test. We’ve lost more than one friend to prostate cancer and have friends/relatives who are living with it, some in a better state than others.

Because of this, dh makes a point of getting tested once a year.

harrigran Sun 03-Jul-22 09:05:18

I always did the tests and they were always negative, the last one was just about three months before being diagnosed with bowel cancer.
Not trying to scare people but the test picks up on blood in the stool, if you have no bleeding then it won't raise a marker.
Be vigilant and if you have signs that something is wrong seek advice don't just rely on a test.
DH went to the GP as soon as he developed symptoms of Prostate cancer but it had already spread. If I was running a medical practice I would do an annual blood test on males say when they attended for flu injection.

Marydoll Sun 03-Jul-22 08:54:37

I agree too. I wish my husband would go for one, too. He stubbornly refuses.