Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New kitchen advice please anyone.

(59 Posts)
kittylester Tue 12-Jul-22 17:25:40

We are actually, at long last, starting to look into having our kitchen replaced so i would be grateful for any does, don't, must haves, don't do/have under any circumstances etc.

Specifically, I am interested in boiling water taps, built in ovens (I quite fancy the Neff double oven with slide away doors) but any advice at all is most welcome.

This is our last chance to get it right grin

Jane43 Wed 13-Jul-22 22:32:58

We had a water softener installed under the sink unit; it is one of the best things we ever bought. We also opted for handleless gloss units which are so easy to clean and we also had a flexible tap, it is so useful when cleaning vegetables and when rinsing around the sink. Because we have two large windows in the kitchen there wasn’t room for a lot of sockets on the walls so we had a tower of sockets that you pull up out of the work surface. We had two plans and estimates, one from Wickes and the other from an independent family business and opted for the latter because even though Wickes had a discounted offer the price was very similar and Wickes seemed to overcharge for a sink and a double oven, the independent company supplied these things at cost price.

dragonfly46 Wed 13-Jul-22 22:09:50

The people who did our kitchen gave us a demonstration of a steam oven and made some pastries which were soggy. We were not impressed. I think also it is a completely different way of cooking and I decided even 12 years ago I was too old to change ?

Grannylicious Wed 13-Jul-22 22:06:12

We had ours done recently and decided against the pull out/rotating units in the corner cupboards after I helped a friend move and spent ages trying to get all the little bits out that had dropped through the racks over the years and hid at the back. She said they were a real pain to keep clean as so hard to reach round the racking.
We love having the huge space in the corner cupboards now to store larger items and appliances.
Also agree with the drawers and the bin cupboard.
We do have some wall units but it’s a large room and can take them.
We got all our appliances separately, lots of shopping around and multi purchase deals.

kittylester Wed 13-Jul-22 16:56:18

Dragonfly, we've been looking at cookers today and saw a steam one. I was just coming back to ask if anyone had one and whether they liked it.

aggie Wed 13-Jul-22 14:39:40

Eye level oven , drawers instead of cupboards , matte finish . No gap at the top of cupboards , take them up to the ceiling, no dust/grease trap there

dragonfly46 Wed 13-Jul-22 14:08:55

We considered a steam oven as the kitchen shop wanted us to have one but I decided a microwave was more use and my oven does everything. All our stuff is Miele - very expensive but the kitchen is now 12 years old and good as new.
We found it easier to go to a one stop shop where they designed, fitted etc.
It was probably a lot more expensive but I am thrilled with the design of ours.

We have a quartz white with grey flecked top with up lifts so no tiles, grey and white shiny cupboards but we do have handles as I find the push doors mark easily.
Our kitchen is 12 years old and hasn't dated and looks as good as new.

mokryna Wed 13-Jul-22 14:01:49

Have an air venting induction hob instead of a hood as well as lots of hidden electric and usb sockets. Pull down shelves for high cupboards.

Pammie1 Wed 13-Jul-22 14:01:23

Just one piece of advice. Don’t go to Wickes. They installed my kitchen three years ago and there was supposedly a guarantee of ten years. Two fairly easily fixed problems arose after 15 months and I eventually had to threaten them with trading standards to get them to come and fix them. Don’t get me wrong, the quality is lovely and I had no problems with installation, which was quick and clean. But their guarantee isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and their customer services procedures are chaotic.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 13-Jul-22 14:00:17

Cupboard doors and drawer fronts which are smooth. This was advice from a friend when we were building our house. She has cupboard doors which have fancy wooden bits around them - look nice but a nightmare to dust. We took her advice and have smooth-fronted doors and drawer fronts which just need a wipe when I get round to it.

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Jul-22 13:58:39

Zonne

Callistemon that too!

Although my stuff would, I think, all fit in cupboards, so for me it’s the ease of access that’s the real benefit. I hate rummaging around for things.

I forget things that are at the back of cupboards.
Being able to see and know exactly what is there would be good!

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Jul-22 13:56:40

We have a proper extractor fan in the utility room but the cooker hood extractor is hopeless.
I agree, an extractor fan on an outside wall is a good idea.

Zonne Wed 13-Jul-22 13:56:03

Callistemon that too!

Although my stuff would, I think, all fit in cupboards, so for me it’s the ease of access that’s the real benefit. I hate rummaging around for things.

Esspee Wed 13-Jul-22 13:53:41

I am surprised that nobody has brought up extraction. The first thing I think about in a property is whether there is (or could be) air extraction directly to outside. (kitchens and bathrooms)
I have seen beautiful kitchens with a recirculating extraction fan reduced to a grease covered nightmare after about 5 years.

Petera Wed 13-Jul-22 13:49:44

It's a while since we did this but things we would repeat (mentioned by others).

1. Twice as many sockets as you think you need, including USB sockets
2. NEFF slide and hide oven

but most importantly

3. Shallow dish cupboard. We had a crockery cupboard built along one wall deliberately one plate deep.

saltnshake Wed 13-Jul-22 13:44:35

I have one pull out larder unit, I wish I'd had two. They take a lot of groceries and are so accessible,

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Jul-22 13:44:31

Zonne

Elusivebutterfly drawers are better because you can easily see, and reach, everything that is in them. There is a lot less bending involved, which may or may not be a good thing healthwise, but is extremely convenient.

We had a Quooker tap in my last workplace, and yes, it was fine for tea.

The drawers are wide and deep so will take crockery, pans, pots etc.

Petera Wed 13-Jul-22 13:38:38

Many people mentioning boiling water taps. Serious question - does it not waste energy?

Zonne Wed 13-Jul-22 13:36:23

Elusivebutterfly drawers are better because you can easily see, and reach, everything that is in them. There is a lot less bending involved, which may or may not be a good thing healthwise, but is extremely convenient.

We had a Quooker tap in my last workplace, and yes, it was fine for tea.

Auntieflo Wed 13-Jul-22 13:35:59

M0nica, I so agree with you on laminate worktops. Our kitchen was done in 1997, and they are still as good as new.

I am, sort of, thinking if replacing the cupboard doors, but if necessary, I would go for a very good quality laminate again.

Zonne Wed 13-Jul-22 13:32:32

Double - possibly even treble - the amount of sockets you think you need.

We’ve found having a couple of USB sockets very useful.

Make sure you you have light switches by every entrance - I messed that up a couple of houses ago and it irritated me regularly, even though it was a minor thing really.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 13-Jul-22 13:32:25

Can anyone please tell me why drawers are better than cupboards? I often hear this but don't know why.

Also, lots of people talk of a boiling water tap but we had a boiler at work which did not boil and tea tasted awful. Are these hot enough for tea to brew? Also, how do the running costs compared with a kettle?

Do people recommend a built in microwave? They seem to be much more expensive than freestanding.

Thank you for any advice.

midgey Wed 13-Jul-22 13:00:10

Double your budget and your builder’s time estimate!

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jul-22 12:55:24

We inherited our kitchen but I love our island. Lots of work space. I am not keen on black kitchen appliances or dark worktops but that is just me. I prefer lighter colours

Scribbles Wed 13-Jul-22 10:15:12

It's been so interesting to read this thread. Currently, I've got the builders in, carrying out the work my late husband and I were planning at the time of his death, two and a half years ago. The old, ramshackle conservatory is gone and a new space is being created in its place and incorporating a small outside area of previously wasted space. When this is complete, the connecting wall to the existing inconvenient kitchen will be demolished, creating a huge area which will become kitchen/diner with a small seating area overlooking the garden.

My head is full of ideas and my OneNote pages are full of lists of things to be considered but it's been incredibly helpful to read these posts, many of which endorse decisions I have already made and others which suggest things I hadn't thought of. Particular thanks to the person who suggested Corian for worktops. I had completely overlooked this as a possibility and it could just turn out to be exactly what I want.

This is my first ever completely new kitchen and my first ever building project and, at 70+, probably my last so I need to get it right. Thanks, kittylester for starting the thread. It's given me plenty to think about.

Daisymae Wed 13-Jul-22 09:59:35

I would advise against a dark surface. We have labradorite while it looks great when polished up it's a pain. If I ever replaced, although I'd sooner move house, I'd have Corian.