Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where are you going on holiday and what will you be doing?

(20 Posts)
bytheway Fri 22-Jul-22 10:48:51

We’ve finally found a home boarder for our pup and are starting to think about travelling further afield after a few years of staying in the U.K.

But find ourselves wondering what we want out of a holiday. OH has angina and heart disease and can’t bear weather over 21/22 degrees C.

Neither of us really wants a week in the sun/med - been there, done that for many years.

We’ve considered a cruise but worries about COVID spreading has put us off at the moment. I love to be active or learning/doing something fun but OH health means activities, other than walking, are out of the question for him.

Neither of us fancies a city break, too peopley/busy!!

Any suggestions. What have you all got planned?

GagaJo Fri 22-Jul-22 10:58:06

I've got nothing planned. But what about a seaside resort in Norfolk? There are some lovely places. Aldeburgh, Well-next-the-Sea, Southwold.

Kate1949 Fri 22-Jul-22 11:16:52

We haven't been away for three years and have little inclination to go anywhere.
If we were taking a break it would probably back to Northumberland. It's wonderful. All those lovely seaside towns.

Gin Fri 22-Jul-22 11:31:00

Have you thought of an organised train tour? You do get train buffs but many travellers are not but just find it a relaxing way to travel with no hassle as they are courier led. They are in the UK and abroad which generally start on Eurostar. You see many interesting places with little effort and time to explore.

VB000 Fri 22-Jul-22 11:36:45

Have you considered a winter break - Malta, Cyprus etc? Or maybe Madeira, as its around 21 deg all year round.

bytheway Fri 22-Jul-22 11:40:51

Kate - we live in the north east and spend a lot of time in Northumberland. I agree about the seaside towns…they are hidden gems!
Gin - Never thought of a train tour, that will be one I’ll definitely check out..thanks
VB - yes we have considered a winter break, thanks for your suggestions

pandapatch Fri 22-Jul-22 11:41:44

We went for a short break to a Warner's Leisure Hotel, Littlecote Manor. The grounds are lovely for walks, with a Roman Mosaic and there are activities if you want them.

BlueBalou Fri 22-Jul-22 11:43:46

We had a lovely fortnight recently in NW Wales, we stayed in the same place as last year.
Personally I would be perfectly happy not going abroad, I have heart problems and I don’t tolerate the heat at all well.
I love so many different places, Northumberland, the Peak District, Derbyshire Dales, Scotland - too many places to revisit or explore for the first time. The only thing I don’t enjoy is the driving but needs must as DH can’t at the moment.
I want to go back to the Isle of Wight too.

AGAA4 Fri 22-Jul-22 11:46:45

There are so many lovely places in the UK. Renting a cottage in Scotland, Peak District or Wales for instance. I agree about Northumberland. One of my favourite places.

Mine Fri 22-Jul-22 11:53:36

Going on a family holiday to Center Parcs at Sherwood Forest...Its a family holiday so fingers crossed...Activities every day though hubby and I do the easier options...

CountessFosco Fri 22-Jul-22 11:58:35

We have just booked a holiday apartment just outside Spiez in CH. Beautiful area, lots to do with gentle walks around the lake if you do not want over strenuous hiking. Can give the link if this appeals to you.

bytheway Fri 22-Jul-22 12:03:52

CountessFosco - yes please, that sounds very interesting ?

LtEve Fri 22-Jul-22 12:09:42

We've just been on a river cruise in Portugal which was lovely, just missed the really hot weather which was good. We're going to Walwick in Northumberland in August, our second visit this year then booked on a cricket/Christmas markets cruise with DD in December. DH will listen to the cricket talks as people like David Gower etc are on board and DD and I will attempt to avoid bringing too much back from the markets in Hamburg and Amsterdam.

Kim19 Fri 22-Jul-22 12:18:03

Isle of Wight for me and, whilst there, will catch up with friends. Can't wait.

Witzend Fri 22-Jul-22 12:21:07

In early September, visiting my sister in Cape Cod. Have to wait until then when crowds are mostly gone. Haven’t seen her for over 2 years so a lot of catching up, eating and drinking - probably some swimming in the ‘ponds’ (glacial lakes). Dh will probably do quite a bit of cycling.

The beach where we’ve swum in the past is now a no-go, since Great Whites have been in the area for a few years now - someone did get killed off DSis’ favourite beach last year, and she previously sent me a little video of a big one only feet away from the shore. ?

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jul-22 12:58:20

As suggested, maybe a winter break, our friends went to Malta for a month in January and are planning the same next year, no heating bills!
We’re off to Oxford for a few days after the school holidays and Dorset in November. Tour booked in Oxford, beach walks in Dorset.

CountessFosco Fri 22-Jul-22 16:26:11

Herewith the link for the apartment above Spiez, Switzerland

www.tutti.ch/de/vi/bern/immobilien/ferienobjekte/2-zimmer-ferienwohnung-region-thunersee/1463334

AFAIK they only speak Swiss dialect but if you need some help feel free to contact me and I will give you all the assistance you need. We have booked this delightful place ourselves from 3. - 10, September.

rubysong Fri 22-Jul-22 19:49:07

We live in Cornwall and are having three nights further west for a bit of sea swimming and garden visiting. Then later in the summer we will visit family in Yorkshire. In September we go to California to see DS1 and family for the first time since 2019. I fancy a few nights in Birmingham later in the year to visit the museum there and maybe see a concert.

Grammaretto Fri 22-Jul-22 19:54:03

I am going to France in early September with my DS and his family for the holiday we had to cancel due to covid--. Since then his dad has died and they have all been in Lockdown in NZ. It will be amazing just to see them again. First time in 4 years.

Cabbie21 Fri 22-Jul-22 20:46:48

I sympathise, bytheway. DH has the same problems, angina plus back pain, and can’t cope with heat. So glad we were not away during the recent heatwave. Anything over 24 is unacceptable.
We have recently been to south Wales but it was a bad choice. Unless we could park really close to a destination, he struggled to walk from the car. Most of the castles were inaccessible, and beach car parks involving a walk back uphill were out.
For our next trip, I am looking for a level seaside place, probably on the east coast. How about a trip round the Cotswolds, where there are lovely villages, gardens and NT properties?
There are many unexplored places in the UK without going abroad, and those who like heat are going to get a lot more than we used to.