Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

When will we get rid of the rubbish on phone calls?

(6 Posts)
ExDancer Tue 26-Jul-22 08:49:16

I'm talking about all the waste-of-time greetings on many answer phone machines, since covid.
You know the ones 'we are experiencing a huge increase in phone queries at this difficult time ....' your call is important to us ....', thank you for holding' ....., 'someone will answer your call as soon as possible and so on. Then there follows the 'press one for repairs', two for queries, three for appointments' and then the music starts.
All adding to my phone bill too.
We know times are 'difficult', but a simple request to hold for the next operator - and then the horrible music - would suffice.

tickingbird Tue 26-Jul-22 08:53:03

They are ALWAYS “experiencing high call volumes”.

I have held on for 50 minutes before only to be cut off once I was put through.

VB000 Tue 26-Jul-22 09:03:32

Yes, especially "Your call is important to us"! Really? Answer it then!!

Lexisgranny Tue 26-Jul-22 09:13:04

The last three calls of this type that I have made have gone through all the rigmarole of ‘huge increase in calls/ exceptionally long waiting times” etc, gave me details of the website etc, then put me straight through to an adviser.

However, aside from this I have also experienced the problems faced by ExDancer and tickingbird. All these situations are frustrating. I do applaud those who have the choice “for anything else use option 7,356” because 9 times out of 10, the problem I need to resolve is not listed in the other 7,355 options.

henetha Tue 26-Jul-22 09:13:12

Oh Yes! I agree. What a pain it is having to listen to all that stuff. It's time they reduced it. Or got rid of it altogether.

Rosie51 Tue 26-Jul-22 09:14:40

It's the same the world over. I was recently on a tour bus in Canada, and the guy doing the commentary said as we passed the impressive tax revenue buildings "4000 people work there and not one of them knows how to answer the phone! Kept me on hold for over an hour" It was greeted with laughter accompanied by knowing nods.

Even worse is being given your 5 options, selecting the most appropriate, being offered another set of options, again picking one, to find yourself sent back to the beginning again! angry