Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dehumidifier

(11 Posts)
Wallsendgran Sat 30-Jul-22 12:00:44

My tumble dryer is being mothballed with the cost of living rises. So will be drying clothes indoors on airers, we are a family of 3, what do people think about dehumidifier and which one would people recommend?

vampirequeen Sat 30-Jul-22 12:04:22

We have to dry indoors. I've found it's OK as long as a window is slightly cracked .

Grannmarie Sat 30-Jul-22 12:05:04

Hi, Wallsendgran, I'm thinking about buying a dehumidifier too.

There was a good thread about this a few months ago but I've been unable to find it.

Hopefully someone will post it soon, it had lots of good information.

Rosie51 Sat 30-Jul-22 12:06:19

The dryer part of my washer/dryer died years ago so washing is dried indoors when the weather is inclement. We have an ebac dehumidifier and it's brilliant. It has various settings including a laundry one. Clothes are dried on an airer in a small spare bedroom, and damp has never been a problem. It's much cheaper to use than a tumble dryer. The only downside is towels can dry a bit hard, but a good shake and scrunch softens them up.

Calendargirl Sat 30-Jul-22 12:28:30

A previous thread was under House and Home, 5th January 2022, ‘I think I need a dehumidifier’.

wildswan16 Sat 30-Jul-22 13:05:47

I live in a flat with no outside drying area. My dehumidifier cost about £100 but has been well worth it. Washing placed overnight near the radiator with the humidifier nearby is almost dry by the morning.

The humidifier also gives out a little bit of heat so that is a bonus. It is much cheaper than a new tumble drier and it's running costs.

Pittcity Sat 30-Jul-22 13:33:05

It was me who started the previous dehumidifier thread in January

I have a Meaco and it has a laundry button that runs it at an optimum rate for drying. It doesn't use anywhere near the electricity of a tumble dryer and I use the water in the tank for watering plants and in the steam iron. Well worth the investment.

Grannmarie Sat 30-Jul-22 13:48:42

Thanks very much, Pittcity. I'm currently looking at a Meaco 10litre ABC dehumidifier on A****n for £139.

Bridie22 Sat 30-Jul-22 13:50:44

Pittichy, is it a 12 litre or 20 litre capacity, im undecided which to buy ? Thanks

Pittcity Sat 30-Jul-22 21:30:54

Bridie22

Pittichy, is it a 12 litre or 20 litre capacity, im undecided which to buy ? Thanks

I have a 10 litre one. We only have a small house. It doesn't fill up too quickly and turns off once full. I think a smaller tank is easier to empty as it gets quite heavy when full.

Bridie22 Sat 30-Jul-22 22:40:41

Thank you, I think then the 12L one will do me.