Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fungi ?? - some ideas please.

(15 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sat 30-Jul-22 13:01:16

This is an area of my front garden, these have been appearing for the last couple of years or so. Does anyone know the best way to get rid. It did start with a cute small Fairy Circle of tiny white mushrooms, but is now a larger area with larger brown ones. Thanks in anticipation.

tanith Sat 30-Jul-22 13:25:25

Have you checked if they are an edible fungi? I would be picking them once I'd checked. I'm not sure how you get rid of them sorry.

ayse Sat 30-Jul-22 13:31:18

I’d be very happy to have fungi in my garden, tbh. They are a natural part of our environment. I’m sorry but I’ve no idea how to get rid of them.

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jul-22 13:33:58

I've got similar Katey and they sprung up overnight, mainly around the base of the laurel. Some are turning black and don't look good at all. No idea what they are but they'll have to go before the GC arrive.

toscalily Sat 30-Jul-22 14:17:45

Chewbacca, The fungi can appear after rainy weather but I have just been reading up about fungi at the base of trees and it can be an indicator that the tree is not too healthy/struggling. Hope that is not the case for your tree.

toscalily Sat 30-Jul-22 14:20:17

This is interesting with super photo's www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/fungi-and-lichens/

VioletSky Sat 30-Jul-22 14:30:10

I was told that the had to be dug out 1 ft deep...

But instead I crushed them as soon as they spouted and they eventually just didn't come back

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jul-22 14:47:52

It has rained a little today Toscalily and it's very warm and humid, so perfect mould and funghi spore conditions. As for the tree; I've already had to have it whacked down by 50% and am looking for any excuse to do the rest! wink

Baggs Sat 30-Jul-22 14:54:51

Fungi hold the world together. Their importance to life on the planet is DEEP. Don't look at them in a negative light. If there are fungi in your lawn they are doing something useful.

toscalily Sat 30-Jul-22 14:55:45

Well if the tree is unsafe & the fungi are unsafe (potentially poisonous) for your grandchildren you have a justifiable reason to cut it down wink

toscalily Sat 30-Jul-22 14:57:08

I do think the ones in the lawn look quite attractive and as soon as you cut the grass they will be gone.

Baggs Sat 30-Jul-22 15:01:31

I agree about removing the visible fruitng bodies of any fungus in your garden if there is any possible danger to young children who might pick them and eat them, but you will not be removing the fungus itself, most of which will be underground.

Mogsmaw Sat 30-Jul-22 15:29:59

Fairy rings grow. If this started out as a small circle, that’s what it is.
The largest living thing on the planet is an enormous “fairy ring” that is kms in diameter. The structure is in the soil and just keeps growing outward even if the turf is stripped off. You can see the distinctive light and dark growth lines on the playing field near me. But it’s cut up and disjointed. Like a mosaic.

Kateykrunch Sat 30-Jul-22 16:37:54

Thanks for your comments, I have just been and actually handpicked everyone up, it was quite therapeutic lol. (We have lawnmowered them in the past, but they come back). It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Skydancer Sat 30-Jul-22 16:40:51

Baggs is absolutely correct.