Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where to take a 1 year old in Staffordshire

(19 Posts)
Nellie416 Wed 03-Aug-22 07:29:14

Looking after our 1 year old grandson - any suggestions for little outings in or around Stoke on Trent please?
Thank you

Grandmadinosaur Wed 03-Aug-22 07:57:51

I’m not local to the area but I’d there a nice park close by? Somewhere to walk around and maybe a baby swing and slide? If the weather isn’t good where you are we used to take our GS to an indoor soft play which he loved. Another option is anywhere with animals. We used to go to a M&S cafe and near to it is a Pets at home store. GS liked looking at the animals in there - fish,rabbits,Guinea pigs etc. Enjoy your day together.

Aveline Wed 03-Aug-22 08:47:04

If the baby is only one the chances are that a nice walk in a park or a play in the garden with you would be lovely. At that age he'll need nappy changes and a rest so could be tricky if you go anywhere too far from home. Take it easy, enjoy his company, there'll be time enough for all the adventure parks, zoos and other attractions.

foxie48 Wed 03-Aug-22 09:13:32

TBH when mine were that age, they just fitted in with what we were doing. I remember my youngest liked to go on walks where she could push her push chair until she was tired then she'd hop into it and go to sleep. She also liked to help with the gardening by being pushed around in the wheelbarrow, then she'd go to sleep in that whilst I got on with some work. I think the most important thing to do with small children is talk to them.

J52 Wed 03-Aug-22 09:47:38

I’d go with local parks, as others have said, but if you want a day out, how about Bridgemere Garden World.
It is near Nantwich and has about 7 acres of gardens and displays. As it’s a garden centre there will be facilities and a cafe. There’s a web site so you can see if it suits your requirements.

annodomini Wed 03-Aug-22 10:13:01

At about that age, my DGD loved to look at the fish in tanks in the garden centre. There are also (in our local one) lots of rabbits and guinea pigs. And you don't have to pay an entry fee! To be honest, it doesn't matter greatly where you take a child of that age, as long as you talk to her.

Fleurpepper Wed 03-Aug-22 10:34:33

Trentham Gardens.

GrannyLaine Wed 03-Aug-22 10:36:29

At that age, even a trip to the supermarket is exciting. Go somewhere that you will enjoy and the little one just fits in....

Welshwife Wed 03-Aug-22 10:44:07

I agree about garden centres which have a pet area and sell fish. GS loved going there and seeing all the varieties of fish. A walk in the park to see the ducks was good too. Depending on whether they are just 1 or nearer 2 a train or bus ride was always a great success for children who are just used to riding in a car - they can usually see more from the windows too.

pandapatch Wed 03-Aug-22 11:47:39

Oh another yes to garden centres. We also have a large aquatic pet shop, which has lizards, snakes and other exotic pets. My grandson is now 4 and still asks to go there.

When he was 1 we used to go for walks anywhere with a nice coffee shop and then when he fell asleep we had a sit down and a cup of coffee, but he was just as happy at our house pottering about

Elizabeth27 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:59:28

Go wherever you want to go, a one-year-old does not care, most places have disabled access so it will be fine for a buggy.

midgey Wed 03-Aug-22 12:07:10

Most of Stoke on Trent parks have green park status, and are really lovely. They are also free! Foxfield railway in Blythe Bridge has steam trains. Trentham gardens is very expensive.

midgey Wed 03-Aug-22 12:08:21

Whoops posted too soon. Trentham village is a great place to visit, it’s just the gardens themselves that are so expensive……but glorious!

Fleurpepper Wed 03-Aug-22 12:14:57

£11.00 Senior price and child free is not hugely expensive for such a wonderful place.

Susan56 Wed 03-Aug-22 13:00:26

The monkey forest near Trentham.

Shelflife Sun 21-Aug-22 22:46:24

He really does ' nt need to be taken anywhere, he will be more than happy having you to ' chat' to , appropriate toys to play with , a little time in the garden . He is only 12monthd old , lots of time to take him places as he gets older. Have fun!

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 22:56:21

annodomini

At about that age, my DGD loved to look at the fish in tanks in the garden centre. There are also (in our local one) lots of rabbits and guinea pigs. And you don't have to pay an entry fee! To be honest, it doesn't matter greatly where you take a child of that age, as long as you talk to her.

We always used to take a little DGD to the garden centre where there's an aquatic department. She used to love finding Nemo.

And yes, talk to them.

ElaineI Mon 22-Aug-22 00:20:38

When first lockdown began DGS2 came with DD2 to stay with us so she could go to work (MHN) he was nearly 2 and everything was closed and you could only go within 5 miles. We went to local ponds, saw tiny frogs, walks through woods, local golf club was closed to golfers but allowed people to walk over the greens, ran up and down the grass near us and threw stones in the river. He learned to scoot as well. You don't need much for that age really. Now at 4 he loves going to Dobbies Garden Centre. There is a soft play, cafe and fish to see and children can feed the big fish (monitored). He also likes going to the pet store to see the rabbits and hamsters. And local parks are always popular.

heath480 Mon 22-Aug-22 01:21:15

Trentham Monkey Forest,fabulous place,next to Trentham Gardens.