Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

machine washing bathroom towels

(70 Posts)
pollyolly Mon 08-Aug-22 15:38:25

My towels are no longer fluffy (don't use a dryer) I often see suggestions that using white vinegar in the last rinse instead of fabric softener will make them so. No luck. I have tried washing them with varying powders, liquids, soap flakes, still no luck. Tried extra rinse Still not fluffy. I always line dry, preferably on a windy day. Please can anyone help?

Norah Mon 08-Aug-22 20:25:47

I spin them twice, then the dryer. We like fluffy.

Shinamae Mon 08-Aug-22 20:30:21

I haven’t used fabric softener for about 18 months now. In the conditioner drawer I put vinegar and a splash of floral disinfectant for every wash…

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Aug-22 21:00:32

I think less washing powder/liquid will help. It won't be like a tumble-dried towel though.
I sort-of "snap" mine hard as I hang them on the line and when half-dry do it again, hanging them from the other end. I find they are definitely more flexible for doing this.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 08-Aug-22 21:08:08

Iron them with a steam iron when they are dry. It won’t make them fluffy but it will soften them.

Farzanah Mon 08-Aug-22 21:13:32

Be careful putting vinegar in the washer. It’s not great for door seals.

Chestnut Tue 09-Aug-22 00:12:44

I can soften my crispy old towels by holding them out and giving them a very quick hard shake, like a whip snap, then turn over and repeat the other side. You can always repeat the process. It really does soften them up.

Allsorts Tue 09-Aug-22 08:30:48

Always line dry, but my towels are not very soft, which I don’t mind as I think they dry you better, tge family were never tgst keen though?

HannahLoisLuke Wed 10-Aug-22 11:27:29

You could try putting washing soda in with your detergent. You won’t need as much detergent and the soda softens the water and helps against limescale.

storynanny Wed 10-Aug-22 11:35:37

I love fluffy towels and have tried everything! In my experience the only thing which makes them fluffy is ten minutes in a tumble dryer. Unfortunately we don’t have one any more.
I’ve bought expensive towels and cheaper ones with no difference.
However, I have found that my Asda patterned towels with quite a short pile has stayed the fluffiest.

jerseygirl Wed 10-Aug-22 11:38:00

I think you will only get soft fluffy towels if you dry them in a tumble dryer.

storynanny Wed 10-Aug-22 11:38:24

asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/5057172798568?hei=662&wid=662&qlt=85&fmt=webp&resmode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_George_rd
Like these.

VickyB Wed 10-Aug-22 11:38:30

I don't have a tumble drier so always line dry (inside or out) I have noticed that towels are softer if there is a good drying breeze or if they have had a touch of frost on a winter day.

sundowngirl Wed 10-Aug-22 11:45:47

I hang my towels until they are just damp and finish off in the tumble dryer. We love fluffy towels!

lizzypopbottle Wed 10-Aug-22 11:48:53

A good shake works wonders.

suewoo Wed 10-Aug-22 11:49:07

I like a soft towel, not necessarily fluffy so I line-dry mine - and then pop them into the tumbler on extra dry, low temperature for a few minutes and they come out perfectly without having to use much power.

Nannashirlz Wed 10-Aug-22 12:06:27

White vinegar my cousin as worked in hotels for years and she told me to put couple of drops of it in machine no conditioner that’s what makes them stiff

grandMattie Wed 10-Aug-22 12:16:46

I use vinegar instead of softener. Apparently, build up of softener stood the absorbency. I also use washing soda as it softens the washing cycle water.

Candelle Wed 10-Aug-22 12:32:51

I prefer fluffy towels and live in a hard water area.

I machine wash them at 40 degrees (without over using detergent), then line dry. The final step is to tumble dry for around five to ten minutes.

twiglet77 Wed 10-Aug-22 12:34:44

I much prefer crispy towels as fluffy ones are hopeless at drying wet skin, but I actually dry myself perfectly well with a dry flannel (and then the flannel dries itself much faster than a wet towel). It’s quite warm enough to not need to wrap up when stepping out of the shower.

Alioop Wed 10-Aug-22 12:42:35

I just give them a quick tumble dry for a few minutes. They are the only things going on it at the minute. Everything is line dry in a couple of hours with this heat. ?

Philippa111 Wed 10-Aug-22 12:54:56

A bit of roughness is actually good for the body and it stimulates blood flow. My chiropractor advises rubbing yourself down with a dry bristle bath brush to encourage circulation and good health! Now that IS hard on the body!! But you do feel good afterwards. I only do it when I can bear it!

labradorlinda33 Wed 10-Aug-22 13:06:23

I hang my towels outside if I can then when I bring them in (like cardboard) I put them in for a few minutes in the drier on a refresh programme.

Glenfinnan Wed 10-Aug-22 13:14:41

I only use my tumble dryer for towels. Put one of those spiky balls in with them and get fluffy towels!

Theoddbird Wed 10-Aug-22 13:18:04

Rubbing them definitely softens them. I line dry them.

GraceQuirrel Wed 10-Aug-22 13:18:04

No conditioner is the recommended advice. Makes them less absorbent. As to drying without a tumble I’ve no idea!