Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you delusional ?

(31 Posts)
Newquay Sat 13-Aug-22 21:01:28

I used to do a lot of aerobics, keep fit and walking. I delude myself that I still exercise but, in reality in comparison, I do very little.
I’ve always enjoyed reading but, for some time, I don’t read much at all.
Is it just me I wonder?

Sandytoes Thu 01-Sep-22 19:57:55

Also a bit delusional re exercise .I was a very fit younger person who played competitive sport , and still see myself as " sporty " , where as in reality I do a little bit of walking and there is at least 3 stone of me that has never broken a sweat !

Newquay Wed 17-Aug-22 22:28:17

Glad to hear it’s not just me then! Why haven’t I sorted out photos, wardrobes, shoes?!
I like «get a grip»! ?

Lovetopaint037 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:25:36

I think the lock down and now the heat has made me lethargic and lazy. It’s just too hot to walk far and I notice that along with this I have become super anxious about small things.

hollysteers Tue 16-Aug-22 09:56:34

I think lockdown changed many of us. I don’t feel so sociable and find small talk a waste of time. It’s probably partly due to being widowed in 2016 as well.
Like others, I have dropped some groups and when out, which is quite a lot, I’m often thinking of getting back to my ‘fireside’, books and Netflix.
But I make myself go out a lot to enjoy coming home.
Concentration has taken a tumble.

vampirequeen Tue 16-Aug-22 09:45:30

Totally delusional. It's the only way to survive what's going on at the moment.

GagaJo Tue 16-Aug-22 09:37:14

Not delusional. I castigate myself for my inactivity.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Aug-22 09:36:02

I have a lovely black broderie anglaise dress from the 70s. Size 10, thin straps, lace up front. I am determined to get back into it. I won't if course and I wouldn't wear it anyway at my age but a girl can dream.
cornergran. My first job when I retired was to sort out a box of thousands of photos. Thirteen years on I still haven't done it.

cornergran Tue 16-Aug-22 07:24:37

Definite delusions about sorting photos here. I’ll do it in the winter say I, not so far. Oh dear.

Greyduster Tue 16-Aug-22 07:15:35

I kid myself I can play the piano. That’s about as delusional as you can get! I am reading more recently, but several projects I have started with enthusiasm seem to be falling by the wayside. Note to self - “get a grip”!

Newquay Tue 16-Aug-22 06:20:42

It’s so interesting isn’t it? I’m not at all depressed. I suppose covid changed life for many of us but that’s an excuse for me really. There’s absolutely no reason why I shouldn’t exercise more-I’ve done it all adult life-I just DON’T. Like reading, I have loads of books and sometimes I do get stuck into one but not often and I always finished books in the past but not now. It’s just strange the change-glad I’m not the only one!

nanna8 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:27:04

One good thing about the isolation business is that many of us took stock and off loaded some activities. I know I did and I haven’t regretted it at all. I left a couple of groups I was in and it is nice to relax and potter around in my own time instead. I still belong to several groups but these are ones I totally enjoy.

Abitbarmy Sun 14-Aug-22 11:05:34

I’m delusional if I think I’m ever going to get my photos sorted out, both physical and digital.

Lathyrus Sun 14-Aug-22 11:02:44

Kate1949

I'm delusional. I think I'm going to get back to the size and shape I was in my 20s. It's never going to happen obviously.

Yes, 95% of the time I still think I have the face I had as a teenager.

The other 5% is when I look in the mirror?

HousePlantQueen Sun 14-Aug-22 10:56:52

Interesting read. I had thought that perhaps I was depressed as this year I have had absolutely no interest in the garden, nothing at all in the greenhouse, not even grown any tomatoes. Maybe next year. I still read avidly though.

Georgesgran Sun 14-Aug-22 10:21:46

Kate1949. That rings a bell with me too! Is that why I’ve kept my size 10 Levi 501s?? It’s never going to happen.

kircubbin2000 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:21:11

I haven't exercised since I fell in May. I quite enjoy being at home reading and doing puzzles and I don't know if I will go back to my groups in September.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 09:57:15

I don’t read any more newquay and I used to get through many books a week it’s down to eyesight and concentration
No I m not depressed
I find it much harder to do things for more than half an hour at most and much too easy to loll on the iPad or whatever
I think it’s called getting older no where near as much motivation about anything really

Kate1949 Sun 14-Aug-22 09:51:59

I'm delusional. I think I'm going to get back to the size and shape I was in my 20s. It's never going to happen obviously.

Biscuitmuncher Sun 14-Aug-22 00:48:15

I used to have lots of penpals all over the world. I used to love writing to them but lockdown sucked all the joy out of my life, and I still can't get it back

MayBee70 Sun 14-Aug-22 00:25:16

I hardly read these days. But I still buy books intending to read them. I think there are too many distractions. When we lost our power during Storm Arwen I actually felt really happy snuggled up with a torch and a book but then the power came back on and that was that. It’s funny how we delude ourselves. I used to be an occasional smoker. But when I went through a horrible divorce I smoked every day for a few years. But I still thought of myself as an occasional smoker. I knew I was deluding myself.

Chestnut Sun 14-Aug-22 00:03:26

I was an avid family history researcher and during lockdown in 2020 I was going hell for leather. Found loads of amazing things. Then when winter came I lost my mojo and felt really aimless. Things perked up in 2021 when I found someone's biological father for them (through DNA). It was a wonderful, exciting experience and they were thrilled to bits. I should be on Long Lost Family. But once again when winter came calling I lost my mojo. And then had health problems. Since then I still haven't found my mojo. Maybe I'm getting old.

henetha Sat 13-Aug-22 23:16:12

I can't exercise in this hot weather but hope I can force myself to again once autumn arrives.
But I am truly a compulsive reader. At least two books on the go always .
One for daytime and the other for reading in bed. Novels, biographies, travel books. I lose myself in books .

imaround Sat 13-Aug-22 23:06:26

I think we are all delusional about something in our lives.

I agree that a lack of interest in things we normally love could indicate depression. Or it could mean that we need to branch out and find new things we love!

Maybe you could try to volunteer somewhere or join a club to spark a new interest?

Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 22:58:39

I’ve volunteered to have DD1’s older dogs for 3 or 4 days a week. That way it ensures I get a bit of exercise without the responsibility of ownership (don’t know who owns who though).
It lovely to catch a glimpse of a deer, but I’m loving watching the barn owl out hunting.

tanith Sat 13-Aug-22 22:53:56

I do walk daily and feel so much better for it, I’m going early while it’s still cool in this heat. I do read quite a bit too most days but although I love it I’ve not been swimming for ages.