Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lotto. Should I tell him?

(15 Posts)
FranA Wed 02-Nov-22 17:52:51

Hubby and I have separate families and separate and joint accounts. At first we bought the odd lottery ticket from our joint account but this was always initiated by me. Recently I have set up an account using my own finances. I like the dream of saying “0h by the way I am quite rich. would you like a Million”. Would you do what I am doing if you could?

Blossoming Wed 02-Nov-22 18:11:29

I could do it, I just don’t want to. I never buy Lotto tickets.

bytheway Wed 02-Nov-22 18:27:11

I often buy a lottery ticket online from my own bank account with a similar dream, sometimes I mention to OH that I’ve bought one and sometimes I don’t . It’s really not a big deal.

MerylStreep Wed 02-Nov-22 18:31:24

Not in a million years. I live with a person who would give me the world if I wanted it and he could.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 02-Nov-22 18:50:28

No I wouldn’t, if I won the Lottery ( I don’t do it) then it would be equal shares, just as it would if MrOops won it. My husband sounds like Meryls whatever he has he would give me gladly.

Kim19 Wed 02-Nov-22 18:58:19

We didn't have separate accounts but I sometimes indulged in a lottery ticket and would have loved to have sprung that surprise on him.

M0nica Wed 02-Nov-22 19:06:07

We have a family syndicate, each person paying in £5 a month. So far we have just about covered our costs with the odd £10 win.

DollyD Wed 02-Nov-22 19:10:07

If you want set up an account for the lottery, why shouldn’t you?
Just because you are married it doesn’t mean you have to do everything together and as you mentioned, you have a joint and separate accounts.
I can’t see the problem quite honestly.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Nov-22 19:17:54

Never buy a lottery ticket I don’t think I ve ever bought one apart from maybe the very first time the lottery started

Witzend Wed 02-Nov-22 19:28:42

In your place, I might well.
However all our finances are joint, and all our money is ‘ours’ so no, not personally.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Nov-22 19:39:09

Ooh I hope you win! And yes I agree, if you do, what a lovely surprise for your husband who doesn’t know you’re having a flutter.

Please remember FranA I’ve always been your friend, even when you’ve had nowt ...
😁

sazz1 Tue 15-Nov-22 01:02:49

I dreamed I won the lottery on Monday night. So I told DH and entered Wednesdays draw just one lucky dip for a laugh. Was asleep in bed in the early hours of Thursday morning when my phone beeped with a message. It was the Lottery just saying I'd won a prize. Woke up DH all excited to find when I logged in to Lotto it was only £70. DH not happy at being woken at 3am lol. So yes I would tell him if I ever won big.

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Nov-22 04:50:29

I'm the same as Meryl Streep so it would be our money like all our finances.

Juliet27 Tue 15-Nov-22 05:56:31

sazzl it might have been only £70 but you were extremely lucky winning anything at all on a first venture!!

Grammaretto Tue 15-Nov-22 06:49:24

We used to have a fantasy of bringing back the railway to our town if only we won the lottery,
We never bought tickets so it wasn't likely to happen and we also realised that even millions wouldn't be enough.
I have been on the receiving end of Lottery money through charities.
I do feel slightly guilty that despite never buying a ticket, our community garden for example, received funding to buy all kinds of useful things - such as composting toilets, polytunnel and bike racks.