Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas presents in the late 50’s

(205 Posts)
OxfordGran Thu 24-Nov-22 12:39:12

Carrying on from the Thank You letters thread, Can anyone recall presents they received in say the late 50’s made to write thank you for, same stuff every year, can anyone remember

Rupert Annual
Girl Annual,
Eagle for my brother,
tiara, necklace, wand for my little sister,
immediately fell apart, Made in Taiwan
tins Sharps toffees
manicure sets
ballpoint pens and retractable pencils in a long box
woolly hats, scarves, mittens, usually itchy
diaries, sometimes with teeny tiny locks
Bath cubes
flat boxes of hankies with embroidered flowers
Weekend assorted sweets and chocolates
pencil boxes/cases/colouring pencils/
games compendiums
bicycle accessories
boxes Morny soaps, Lily of the Valley
useful things of immense educational value,
globes, encyclopaedia, stamp album, presents
children despair of

there must be many more presents of a similar nature
in people’s memory, happy reminiscing.

Galaxy62 Mon 28-Nov-22 15:49:53

Post office set and fancy stationary set

Alioop Mon 28-Nov-22 15:05:20

Granmarderby10 I really loved the smell of a new doll too. I'd Tiny Tears and Teeny Tiny Tears, the best dolls in the world. I dressed them both the same clothes.
I forgot about my Spacehopper and Cadbury chocolate machine. There are some brilliant answers on this thread that have brought back really lovely memories.
My sister and I still buy each other the big tubes of Smarties, a selection box and put a satsuma in our stockings just like my mum did for us when we were kids. The tradition is still carrying on and we are in our 50's.

Lovetravel Mon 28-Nov-22 14:46:52

I have loved this thread! So many memories! We didn’t have a lot of money but my mum worked so hard to make it special. My favourite presents were ‘Choosie Susie’ doll she had a magnet in her mouth and would either attract her bottle or repel her spoon with food on lol. She smelt so amazing. New dolls always did! I had Sindy and was so excited to get a little outfit to dress her in or some plastic furniture like a wardrobe! I loved Pelham string puppets and getting one was amazing. I got the wizard for having my tonsils out when I was 5. That was so traumatic as I was on an adults ward and threatened if I didn’t stop crying for my mum she would never come back for me!! I was in for a week and bled so much. I still look back and remember how traumatic it was.
I loved getting those flat orange and lemon slices! And always a sugar mouse! Plus an apple, orange and coin at the bottom of my stocking. It was so exciting smile

GrandmaCornwall Mon 28-Nov-22 14:39:24

My best memories are of the homemade toys, my dad built a sledge one year and all of out presents were piled on top of it. My mum used to knit clothes for our dolls, one year I had a dolls house another a Wendy house both made by my dad.
As an adult returning home for a visit I spotted a red and yellow object in a flowerbed in the front garden. On further investigation I discovered it was a tiny scrubbing brush from a set I had been given as a child ! The set of cleaning tools had been a Christmas present some twenty five years previous. How it got there or survived that length of time we will never know.

Forestflame Mon 28-Nov-22 12:45:36

This is such a lovely thread. Like @Musicgirl, I was born in the Sixties so my memories are a little later. Standout presents for me were, the basketwork dolls cot on rockers, handmade by my Mum when I was about 6 (I still have it), a Spacehopper when I was 10,and a brand new bike when I was 13 ( which again I still have). My Mum knitted lots of clothes for my dolls for Christmas. I also loved books and still have the Blue Peter, and Sandy annuals I had, as well as several Pony books I was given.

ParlorGames Mon 28-Nov-22 12:42:27

Dippysixty

Anybody remember chocolate machine, you put your penny in and a miniature chocolate bar dropped out.

Oh, how I longed for one of those! Mum said it was a waste of money basing the cost of it and the chocolate that it contained. She would say "you get more chocolate in a normal bar, much better value" . She was right of course, but Mums generally were.
I can relate to lots of the comments on here, Vulcan sewing machine, value. range teenage dolls - parents couldn't afford Tressy or Sindy, chemistry set, play make-up, box of paints......the lists are endless. And always, always........a tin of Blue Bird Toffee. How we kept or teeth intact I will never know!

hollysteers Mon 28-Nov-22 12:29:46

A buxom maiden Aunt gave all her (many) nieces and nephews a tin of Roses chocolates every year.
Another local elderly Aunt appeared at the front door every year with a box of (cheap) crackers. Strange as she was a wealthy woman.
Have you noticed that people often give presents of things they would like themselves? I find myself doing it and sometimes it’s hard to part with them.

Tusue Mon 28-Nov-22 12:23:26

I remember Avons pretty peach being the height of sophistication to me and soap on a rope was absolutely decadent.

Bignanny2 Mon 28-Nov-22 12:03:42

Magic robot - you pointed the arrow or something to the question then twisted the robot and it stopped on the answer, I think that was how it worked. Needless to say it wasn’t computerised so it only had about 10 questions and answers to choose from.

Girinomusume Mon 28-Nov-22 10:13:22

I received a Tressy doll one year in the early 60s- you pressed a button in her tummy and her hair miraculously grew out of a hole in the top of her head.

RustyBear Mon 28-Nov-22 10:00:02

Cressy

Petite typewriter- still have it.
Talkative Jane
Little roll top desk
A game called Sorry. Can’t remember how it was played
Tube of Smarties

@cressy - we have a Sorry! game which my father in law played as a child in the 1930s. It’s basically Ludo with cards instead of dice, with a Sorry! card to send you back to the beginning. Our set still has the card announcing a Sorry! competition which closed in October 1934.

Musicgirl Mon 28-Nov-22 09:52:04

I have been enjoying this thread very much but debating whether or not to join in as l am a little younger and my memories are mostly of seventies Christmases as I was born in the mid-sixties. My birthday is just before Christmas so my memories of presents are intertwined in many ways, but the presents many of you remember are not so different from the ones l had. We always spent Christmases with my mum’s sister’s family and grandparents on that side. My cousin is nine months younger than me and we very often had the same main present. One of my favourites ever was my Tiny Tears doll, Deborah. My mother had knitted a wardrobe for her. My cousin had the same, except that her mother had sewed the doll’s clothes. I remember a Casdon cash register - it must have been one of the first to have decimal currency. Another year we had a Lilliput typewriter and, when we were older, a cassette recorder. There was always an annual, usually Judy for me, and a selection box. A post office set seems to have been ubiquitous. I used the stamper from mine when I played at libraries. For my tenth birthday l received the treble recorder l really wanted and the birthday and Christmas when I was thirteen I had my first violin - because it was an expensive present it needed to be shared between both occasions.

RustyBear Mon 28-Nov-22 09:48:52

Books - one or other of the four of us would usually get the latest Monica Edwards book which we would all read.
And we collected all the Arthur Ransomes between us too
Brittains farm & zoo animals
Dinky or Corgi mini vehicles
Usually something my mum had made - she was a superb soft toy maker & knitter
Coloured pencils
Something for the dolls’ house my sister & I shared (except it was inhabited by a family of toy mice my mum made, some of which I still have)

SuzieHi Mon 28-Nov-22 08:23:50

Lovely memories here. We really loved those presents and they were really appreciated. Many children have far too much today - I asked ours what they got last Xmas & they couldn’t remember!

Frankie51 Mon 28-Nov-22 08:12:19

I was given a chemistry set at the age of 12. I adored it and spent years experimenting . You used to be able to buy replacement chemicals over the counter at Boots . It wouldn't happen these days !

Calendargirl Mon 28-Nov-22 07:31:25

Re the French knitting sets which I hated. I could never follow the instructions how to make the dreaded knitted worm.

I must have been very dense. Still am at anything ‘crafty’.

Drina01 Mon 28-Nov-22 06:54:15

Super thread !
…the year I was 8 given a Vulcan child’s sewing machine - loads of cut out material - and a doll in a wardrobe. I remember well the horror of thinking I had to sew all those clothes for her myself ! I couldn’t do it for some reason ! When I was 14 mum bought me a real Singer - I hadn’t asked for one. She clearly thought I should take up sewing ! I also called the doll (out of the blue) Susan. Mum looked shocked and asked why… I found out many years later I had an unmarried great grandmother called Susan no one talked about ! In fact she was described as an ‘imbecile’ on the 1891 census ! What a Christmas !

PamQS Mon 28-Nov-22 00:17:02

My mum liked Yardley’s English Lavender products, anything from the range would do. I often bought visitors’ soaps for her - seemed like a real bargain, 6 soaps in a nice box! I often bought a small tin of cigars for my dad - E.g. Will’s Whiffs!

We always got a chocolate selection box, and that was a popular gift from aunties & uncles and others we didn’t see very often. My gran always bought us a Post Office Savings Certificate, which earned interest. I loved getting something like the Judy Annual, and would find somewhere quiet to read it.

Seabreeze Mon 28-Nov-22 00:15:30

What a great nostalgic thread. So many things I’d forgotten about. Thanks Oxfordgran.

annodomini Sun 27-Nov-22 23:24:58

Big presents were for birthdays, for Christmas we usually received (and gave) what were known as 'wee mindings'. One granny always sent us boxes of hankies with our initials on. An aunt invariably gave me nylons which were too big for me - she evidently expected everyone to have her large feet. As the 50s wore on, toiletries were followed by scents, even cosmetics, clothing, especially when I escaped from school uniform and, with any luck, half crowns were succeeded by folding money! In the late 50s, I was a late teenager and a university student. I had always been a book lover (still am) so relatives were happy to supply me with book tokens and enough money to supplement my allowance. Money to pay for driving lessons was also welcome.

Granmarderby10 Sun 27-Nov-22 22:37:23

Oops forgot the real china dolls tea set, bits of that kicking around for years

Granmarderby10 Sun 27-Nov-22 22:34:27

Oh Yes! OXFORD GRAN I had a Wind up Dalek, LEGO, a TinyTears doll, later Teeny Tiny Tears, aaah, the smell of a new doll…. a replica Silver Cross dolls pram, Cadbury Chocolate Machine, Post Office set, Rupert Annual, chocolate smoking set, sweet cigarettes, Avon Pretty Peach stuff …divine, …Kids lipstick and nail varnish sets, Massive Tubes of Massive Smarties and Fruit pastils. Spirograph - never got the hang …Selection boxes- to be eaten before Christmas dinner obviously!
Various crayons, paints, pens and books, a quilted dressing gown and was allowed an eggcup sized glass of Warninks’ Advocat. Heaven☺️

Anneeba Sun 27-Nov-22 21:31:23

I was four, given a little kitchen in which was a cooker and tiny pans, plus little lump of fuel, presumably to heat things up with(!). Fortunately being so small, my parents lit it for me. It shot a huge flame up and the whole of the roof of the kitchen bent and sagged with the heat before starting to drop bits of burning plastic onto the floor, before they managed to blow it out! Also remember stilts and later on, though I never got one myself, Space hoppers.

Dippysixty Sun 27-Nov-22 21:14:08

Anybody remember chocolate machine, you put your penny in and a miniature chocolate bar dropped out.

Lilyflower Sun 27-Nov-22 20:43:16

Tina doll - a cheap substitute for Barbie.
Betta Builder - a cheap substitute for Lego
A giant China doll
Spirograph
Monopoly
Second hand bike- done up by dad
Box of peppermint creams
Box of flat fruit oranges and lemons
These were all for different Christmases. We had one big present and a few ‘things to open’. All much appreciated. (Well, maybe not the peppermint creams.)