Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone been outside yet?

(94 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 04-Dec-22 09:57:46

It's 4C in London - I'm trying to convince myself that an energetic trot would do me good!

I'm still slobbing around in my fleecy dressing gown but have high hopes I'll soon stagger up off the chair, without ageing noises, and get a move on smile👟👟

Then again... it's gloomy and cold!

Alioop Tue 13-Dec-22 08:14:47

I was the same as Mollygo. I couldn't get car doors open either yesterday, they were frozen solid, took ages to get inside to turn the car on to help it defrost. It seems to take forever just to get to the shop. The defrosting of the car, crawling along the icy roads and then watching you don't slip before you get to the door.
It's bitterly cold again this morning, local weather just said it'll get to 2 degrees today here in Co.Antrim.

Norah Mon 12-Dec-22 14:49:30

We've been out with the dogs twice, they need excessive walking, was cold and glum, but we wore lots of layers and stayed quite warm.

lucycat2 Mon 12-Dec-22 14:43:30

minus 4 centigrade in east anglia

Mollygo Mon 12-Dec-22 12:42:13

-5° this morning. I couldn’t open my car doors to start the car warming, until I’d used the hairdryer to defrost the driver’s side. Car is currently parked across the road, defrosting in the sunshine. At least the pavements aren’t so slippy this morning.

MrsKen33 Mon 12-Dec-22 12:28:34

Just been out to deliver local Christmas cards. It was treacherous and both DH and I had near falls. We clung to the bushes on the way home..

crazyH Sun 11-Dec-22 15:47:22

No, I haven’t been out except to a friends house for pie and chips but her husband picked me up and dropped me back - I will stay in till the temperature rises a bit - I have all I need - making rice, chicken curry at the moment

Forsythia Sun 11-Dec-22 15:40:58

-1 here on the south coast and snow is falling. Very cold outside. Have not ventured out but DH popped to get the papers and said very slippery. Black ice I think.

Riverwalk Sun 11-Dec-22 15:33:49

We did 55 minutes - a bit nippy especially on the face!

MrsKen33 Sun 11-Dec-22 11:15:17

DH went out for the papers first thing, very cold , frosty and slippery. Now the sun is out so a little better. We are in South west Wales

Riverwalk Sun 11-Dec-22 10:51:25

It's 0 and foggy on The Thames - I'm going to brave a walk with a friend and see how far we get.

It might just be to the newsagent and a walk around the block!

nexus63 Fri 09-Dec-22 12:13:46

it is 2 degrees here and i don't think i will go out, i don't have the heating on and it is bloody freezing indoors...lol.

Alioop Fri 09-Dec-22 12:02:33

Oh wow it's cold. I'd a wee drop of snow yesterday and it never got time to defrost until now, well one side of the street that the sun's on anyway. That's the side the dog and I just had a walk with all our layers on and now I'm back home and still sitting in my coat because it's so cold. Looks like the darn heating will have to go on again 🥶

Jaffacake2 Fri 09-Dec-22 10:39:42

Tried to get out yesterday but after deicing the car I had an asthma attack. Felt rough for the rest of the day and relented with heating going on full blast.
I have always had asthma and remember scraping ice off the car having ventolin then driving kids to school before going to work. Guess now I'm older it takes its harder for the lungs to recover.
Hoping to get out today, frost going now.

Hetty58 Fri 09-Dec-22 10:28:23

GrammarGrandma, car? That's not really going out, is it?

GrammarGrandma Fri 09-Dec-22 10:19:19

4C is positively balmy! I went out yesterday in -5C (Oxfordshire) and had to chip off the frost coating the whole car. First time this year.

effalump Wed 07-Dec-22 13:19:19

For the last three years I've gone out first thing after getting out of bed for a brisk walk for about half an hour, trying to keep the same pace uphill as on the flat. I do this 7 days a week and I miss it if I'm unable to do it. I don't go out in the dark though.

singingnutty Tue 06-Dec-22 23:04:48

It’s been slightly less damp here today although cold, so I actually got some things on the washing line partly dry. Just recovering from a cold which struck me down on Friday. I had been fighting it off all week and then got chilled in the afternoon and it got me. I missed two big singing events over the weekend and choir yesterday. Just hoping that the weather will be colder but drier because that is more healthy.

Grandmama Tue 06-Dec-22 18:07:08

It's cold up north (and very restricted heat in the house) but this afternoon I walked to M&S and back - just short of 3 miles in total - to buy more thermals. I was cold when I set off but, wearing fleecy long johns, trousers, fleecy long sleeved vest, polo neck, jumper, fleece top, padded jacked and warm gloves, I was really warm when I got back and my inner warmth remained, even when I went into the freezing cold front bedroom. It took just over an hour to wear off when I got back. Radiators just coming on as I write.

JenniferEccles Tue 06-Dec-22 17:36:01

I’m sure they are Greenfinch!
If our family want to go next year we may go with them, as, like I said, from the pictures they sent me, it was stunning.
It’s great to hear weather reports from other countries.
-19c in Canada! Good gracious.
We’ve got nothing to complain about here have we?

Casdon Tue 06-Dec-22 17:31:26

DonnaB5859

-19c here in the Prairies of Canada.

That really is cold!

sodapop Tue 06-Dec-22 17:19:40

Very cold here in France too but no snow or rain. I went out with the dogs at 9am then shopping this afternoon. A walk round a small local lake with the dogs at 5pm.
I'm now settled in front of the fire with GN and a Baileys - lovely.

Susieq62 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:07:47

Here in West Yorkshire the gritters are out ! I have been out for lunch with old work colleagues the had a two hour town council meeting! No reason not to go out! I am in London overnight Thursday so hope it isn’t too cold !!! 🥶

DonnaB5859 Tue 06-Dec-22 16:49:36

-19c here in the Prairies of Canada.

Greenfinch Tue 06-Dec-22 16:34:26

Thanks for that JenniferEccles. The little ones are very much looking forward to the train ride .

ileea Tue 06-Dec-22 16:09:46

-10°C here this morning. Nor sure if I want to go anywhere today. But will get moving in a bit as Tuesdays I pick up my youngest granddaughter and take her to playtime. 🇨🇦