Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I being childish…

(20 Posts)
Madgran77 Sat 18-Feb-23 09:27:45

The important thing is the family back together. Totally ignore and rise above is my view. Its his problem, not yours. But your feelings are understandable. Keep them to yourself, rise above it, carry on being friendly and polite, prioritise the important things flowers

Redhead56 Sat 18-Feb-23 08:57:42

It’s been a while sine you fell out but things have changed if someone hands an olive branch accept it with grace. You are the more mature person and could show how you have moved on.
A lesson maybe your SS still has to learn the price or quality of a gift is not worth dwelling on. Life is too short isn’t it there are more important things to consider like give and take in relationships.

Luckygirl3 Sat 18-Feb-23 08:54:14

Let it go - you had present that fitted in with the normal expenditure, but Stepson found something special for your OH and so got it for him.

Honestly all this comparing values of presents is a bit weird.

I am glad that you have buried the hatchet with stepson - didn't let this rock the boat again.

foxie48 Sat 18-Feb-23 08:41:46

It's really not important, is it? What is important is that you have a more united family for your husband. I'm not a fan of spending the same money on each child etc, I've always taken a more swings and roundabouts approach to giving because I'd rather give a present someone will love than be forced to keep within a particular price band.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Feb-23 08:02:21

It’s allowed monica how boring if we all thought the same about everything 😂

M0nica Sat 18-Feb-23 07:59:13

I am in total agreement with Blebelle (despite disagreeing with her profoundly yesterday on another topic).

It is not worth wasting a second worrying about it. Things like this happen in families.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Feb-23 07:12:40

Oh does it really matter !
In answer to your question, yes you are overthinking and over worrying Presents don’t define a relationship maybe he just saw his dads present and knew that was the one, maybe he got it second hand and not as expensive as you perceived.
What on earth could a stepson buy you ? I think you were lucky to get a present at all 😂😂men aren’t always the best thinkers of presents at the best of times

Dorrain Sat 18-Feb-23 06:29:30

I agree with Wyllow3.

Your stepson's actions show his immaturity and I suspect he used the gift as an 'up yours' gesture.
Personally I would just let it go, he's not worth the angst.

Next year perhaps you could simply stop giving gifts to the adult children and simply buy the children gifts.

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Feb-23 22:10:44

Hetty is right.
I'd just be pleased to have the whole family reunited - or, at least, on talking terms.

This is the main thing. And you have done a good thing to help this happen.
flowers

Hetty58 Sat 04-Feb-23 21:47:13

I really wouldn't care, personally. I'm not fussed about presents, so wouldn't compare or value them. I certainly wouldn't link their value (or suitability) with my 'worth' to another.

I'd just be pleased to have the whole family reunited - or, at least, on talking terms.

Grammaretto Sat 04-Feb-23 21:23:12

How to make yourself miserable in easy stages!
If my DC partners, all 4, judged me by the presents I gave them. OMG! That would be really sad.
I hope they don't.
I give presents to the children but the parents get a bottle of something or a nice hamper.
We don't love one another any less..

It is great that you can be civil to eachother again. In 7 years your stepson will have grown up and changed.
Can you now forgive past failings and get to know him anew?.

MillieMac Sat 04-Feb-23 21:06:43

It’s always difficult with present giving in a family of children and step-children.
This could be simply your step-son trying to make up to his father for the hurt that has occurred, and if not, then a reflection of his pettiness.
Smile, don’t let it bother you and enjoy all the other family you have around you.

Wyllow3 Sat 04-Feb-23 14:22:19

I think that your OH needs to have a chat with him at an appropriate time, but accept it may not help. Your stepson is being rather childish himself: you keep your dignity.

LRavenscroft Sat 04-Feb-23 14:14:18

Take 2 steps back, take a note of the gift he gave you. Reciprocate in kind and watch what he does for next birthday and Christmas. Two can play at that game. Alternatively, he may have thought that you would like the gift he gave you. For me, it is not the amount that is spent but the thought behind it. A diamond ring could cost a £1000 pounds and not be what you want and yet a small item you always wanted and was carefully thought out would be very welcome and probably mean far more. Only you know what your SIL is really like. Sadly, with families, one has to compromise albeit to the extent where you just sit there and smile and say 'Lovely'. (not!)

JaneJudge Sat 04-Feb-23 13:46:36

Although I sympathise with your situation, you are a lesser person to him and he has made that clear. The only solution is for you to not take it personal. I don't know how to suggest doing that but for me I have to just let it go, like water off a ducks back and what is expected. He cannot hurt you unless you let him. I'm sorry of this is blunt but it is the reality of the situation and I imagine it happens a lot in blended families as some people live in the past and are unable to move forward

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-Feb-23 13:42:01

To me this is a classic case of what happens when you make up a quarrel basically to please someone else.

Presumably your stepson still has some echoes of your disagreement in his head, or else he simply does not know what your tastes are and what to buy you.

Try to rise above the slight here, if there is one. By feeling hurt, you are only hurting yourself.

Perhaps sometime before next Christmas you husband could tell his son that the very expensive present embarrassed him and that there is no need for him spending so much on presents.

Soozikinzi Thu 02-Feb-23 17:44:04

I see exactly what you mean .But I think it's best to let it go .

nadateturbe Thu 02-Feb-23 17:43:30

It's not worth worrying about. My husbands children spend much more on him than me. I spend more on my children than I do on his. I think, just buy what you want and don't worry about comparing. It's really not important.

Ziplok Thu 02-Feb-23 17:39:27

Not childish, your feelings are understandable, but I think you should just let it go.

bytheway Thu 02-Feb-23 17:31:11

OH and I have 5 children between us from previous marriages (he has 4, me 1)

We met when the kids were young teenagers but have no children together)

They are all adults now, 3 married with kids, 2 single.

That’s just a bit of background.

My story starts 7 years ago when I fell out with with 1 of my step children. Without going into detail I did not see him for all that time though did see his wife and kids occasionally

My OH continued to see them which was fine. He understood my reasons for not seeing him and supported and even agreed with a lot of my reasons but of course, it was son and, understandably, he still wished to see him and his GC. I have never had a problem with this.

Fast forward to 10 months ago and my OH and his wife (who I kept in loose contact with the odd text) asked me and stepson to bury the hatchet for the sake of everyone.

I felt ok to do this (not entirely happy) but we arranged meet-ups, family get togethes and all looked rosy.

I have since become very involved with his children, outings and treats etc.

So here’s the thing that I’m wondering if I’m being childish as it’s playing on my mind.

At Xmas, we all exchanged presents, all GC get the same spent on each other as do all the adult children and their OHs.

All our children give me and OH either joint presents or something we’ve asked for (always similar small values) except this step son bought my OH something very expensive (several hundred pounds) and myself something considerably cheaper (less than a tenner) and totally something I would not use in a million years (more of a male item imo)

To me it feels like I’m a ‘lesser’ person to him. I feel upset, not at the value of the present (or even the present itself) but at the vast disparity of what he spent on each of us.

My husband was very embarrassed by his gift as he knew how much these things cost but doesn’t seem to have noticed the disparity, and to be fair, I haven’t mentioned it to him.

I do have a tendency to over think things so my question is ‘am I being childish, should I just forget it and what would you think or do.