Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Recommendation for new ironing board please

(10 Posts)
Jackaranda Thu 02-Mar-23 19:31:55

I need to replace my trusty old ironing board with a compact and lightweight model (but not flimsy). Has anyone tried a table top one? Or an ironing mat even? We're moving to a new build and space is very limited. Any ideas please?

NotSpaghetti Thu 02-Mar-23 19:42:41

I have a fabulous ironing board. Sturdy and stands up on its own. It's not small though.
It's really well made. Mine is the ASSAI which i just wheel behind the door. There is one on gumtree at the moment.

There is also a tabletop version:
www.foppapedretti.it/en/household/ironing

I haven't seen the tabletop one but I do have the excellent sleeve board and feel very positive about the brand.

Jackaranda Fri 03-Mar-23 15:48:53

Thank you for the info NotSpaghetti
I'll check out the website - I like the sound of the table top one and I only do the minimum of ironing.

ExDancer Fri 03-Mar-23 15:57:45

It depends a bit on your height with a tabletop one. I am too short and find I'm lifting my shoulders uncomfortably with mine. Its ok on the low bed in the spare room but not exactly stable.
When I had my babies and complained about getting backache when ironing, my doc said 'stop ironing and become an expert folder'.

Patsy70 Fri 03-Mar-23 16:10:37

I have a Leifheit ironing board, which I would highly recommend. They also do ironing mats.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Mar-23 16:11:46

I tried a tabletop ironing board onboard our boat and found it a dratted nuisance as the "legs" of it made it hard to move the ironing down the board. Mine was from Ikea, and they may have solved the problem since I bought mine in 2013.

I would choose a metal board that can be adjusted to whichever height suits you, and is slim enough to be kept behind a door when not in use.

I cannot remember what make mine is, but I think they are all practically identical, baring the trade-name.

Jackaranda Fri 03-Mar-23 17:46:25

Thank you for the ideas GNetters - I think I have found the perfect one now and I will order it. My current one is solid beech, very steady and with a wide board but sadly too bulky and heavy to move with us. Happy ironing everyone!

dragonfly46 Fri 03-Mar-23 18:21:17

I have the Joseph table top one and love it - not that I use it very often.

karmalady Fri 03-Mar-23 18:29:55

I once bought a leifheit small lightweight ironing board from john lewis. It was very good and easy to store and move. However, in time I needed a new powerful generator iron for all the sewing that I do. I gave that board to a dd, who is delighted with it. It is > 3 x the price of the tabletop ironing board that they sell

MawtheMerrier Fri 03-Mar-23 18:51:12

Oh dear.
An ironing board is an ironing board is an ironing board as far as I am concerned!