Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cordless iron , advice please

(12 Posts)
Shelflife Sat 04-Mar-23 00:40:28

I need a new iron and thinking of buying a cordless one, pros and cons please.

LadyGracie Sat 04-Mar-23 10:00:16

I’ve had 2 cordless irons, a Phillips which was given to me, which was OK. That just stopped working. I then bought a Tefal, it beeps at you after about 15 seconds to put it back on the stand, then takes a frustrating time to heat back up.

I’ve just bought the cheapest steam iron from Sainsbury/Argos and it’s excellent. It’s corded.

glammanana Sat 04-Mar-23 10:01:04

I have a Russell Hobbs Freedom cordless iron and it is the worst appliance I have ever purchased.
It does not keep the temperature well and you are then waiting for it to reheat on the plate so it takes a lot longer to iron your garments.

I have bought a new steam iron and will be putting the cordless at the back of the cupboard for emergencies only.

Shinamae Sat 04-Mar-23 10:04:06

What is an iron?…🫣

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Mar-23 10:59:01

Same experience with a cordless iron, it went cold far too quickly. I don't mind ironing but that was very frustrating.

MerylStreep Sat 04-Mar-23 11:17:43

I’ve tried two and very disappointed in both.

Shelflife Sat 04-Mar-23 12:02:35

Thanks for the advice everyone, I was wondering how long they retained heat before putting back on the plate. Think I will go for an ordinary corded iron. Shinamae, that made me smile , I don't iron much at all these days but sometimes I find it necessary. All the more reason to buy a basic iron ! My daughter never irons anything!!!! Thanks all.

Franbern Mon 06-Mar-23 11:16:06

Shinamae

What is an iron?…🫣

smile agree

Bellanonna Mon 06-Mar-23 12:04:46

Me too

Oldbat1 Mon 06-Mar-23 13:43:49

Husband bought a cordless iron - he loves it but I hate it! I’m going to buy a corded steam iron if my choice! Cordless doesn’t hold its heat, beeps at you and then takes ages to warm up. I wouldn’t recommend.

Shelflife Mon 06-Mar-23 16:20:32

Thanks Oldbat1. I have bought an ordinary Russel Hobs iron , used it today for the first time - no problems. I would hate an iron that bleeps at me !!

sodapop Mon 06-Mar-23 19:01:54

I have been thinking about buying a cordless iron but think I'll give it a miss after reading these comments. Good to have unbiased opinions.