Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spade or shovel?Light hearted.

(39 Posts)
Yammy Fri 24-Mar-23 09:56:34

Do you say spade or shovel? I was contradicted by a know all the other day for saying shovel.
I would say a garden shovel,a coal shovel but a bucket and spade.
I shovel the coal and was actually shovelling moss when contradicted. I don't spade the coal or moss. So is the differential made when doing something manually?
I am a northerner and know the saying we always" Call a spade a shovel ". When do you?hmm

Fleurpepper Fri 24-Mar-23 13:01:14

Simple enough. Yes. I shovel snow and sh*t (horse sh*t).

Calendargirl Fri 24-Mar-23 13:00:33

Just asked DH the difference between a spade and a shovel.

“A spade is for digging, a shovel is for shovelling”.

ixion Fri 24-Mar-23 12:56:38

I recall, I think Michael Portillo, visiting a spade maker at the Patterson's Spade Mill in County Antrim. Fascinating stuff, where we learned that there were over 100 different types.
A grave digger's spade, a turf cutter's spade to name but two!

Take a look at this - no shovels tho!

www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/place/patterson%27s-spade-mill
www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/results?Collections=4259aef5fffffe0736b14667aefc1497&Sort=collection

Now a 'heritage craft^.

Yammy Fri 24-Mar-23 12:32:51

FannyCornforth

It’s ironic really Yammy, as MrC was a self employed builder for 40 odd years and we have every type of building based implement, tool, gadget, widget, and gizmo known to man.
We even have a blooming concrete mixer in the garden

You should see what the builders left us. Like you a cement mixer with lots of tools. When he came back for them he suggested he could get rid of all the rubble we had and we agreed. He took all the Shap and Skiddaw slate and big pieces of red sandstone they are probably his garden patio now. We were very naive.smile

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 12:21:50

I’ve just found this!
One is definitely more preferable

Yammy Fri 24-Mar-23 12:21:40

NotSpaghetti

What were you using for your shoveling Yammy?
I might well use a spade if I was removing moss off some flat surface and didn't have something easier.

I might then shovel it up with the same tool! grin ...but if there was s lot I might use a shovel...

I was using a builder's shovel that was left behind. I also have a garden spade but I'm afraid where I come from all spades are called shovels and garden forks called gripes. I live among farmers and have reverted to type .

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 12:19:12

toscalily

I like the idea of your blooming cement mixer FannyCornforth which particular blooms are they?

That’s not a bad idea, toscalily, I may as well get some use out of itsmile

nanna8 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:18:31

Yes- same over here. A shovel is something a builder would use more . A spade is something you use in the garden.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:17:49

Oh dear, when is a spade a shovel? Coal shovel, garden spade? I hate being told what to say by a know-all and it seems like splitting hairs in this instance, doesn't it?

I'm a bit of a know-all myself (on the quiet) and I can't stand being told by another know-all as it feels like they're muscling in on my territory if you see what I mean.

Mamardoit Fri 24-Mar-23 12:13:46

NanaDana

A spade has a flat blade, whilst a shovel has raised sides. So it's not a case of using different words for the same item. They are different items.

This is correct. They are different things.

Although I do tend to call a spade a spade and sometimes it feels like I'm shovelling s+++ up hill.

BlueBalou Fri 24-Mar-23 12:09:44

No idea why in bold ooops!
Sorry!

BlueBalou Fri 24-Mar-23 12:09:14

Put very simply, a shovel is for moving material, while a spade is primarily for cutting soil and digging holes. With a flatter, shallower face, the spade is meant for digging, piercing, cutting. It's an edge tool, first and foremost
› blog › sh...
Shovels and Spades: What's the Difference - Garrett Wade

Esmay Fri 24-Mar-23 11:52:58

To me :
a spade has a long handle and I use it for gardening .
A shovel has a shorter handle .

I've had to be really careful with the word spade - a Jamaican guy who worked for me took great offence when I described my garden implement as a spade and I reverted to shovel .

Juliet27 Fri 24-Mar-23 11:47:48

I read recently someone was going to have their dog ‘spade’ !! Poor thing didn’t deserve that I’m sure 😳

Fleurpepper Fri 24-Mar-23 11:43:23

2 totally different tools. I have several spades for the garden, and shovels for other jobs, with short and long handles. And forks, with fork handles, ahahah.

IrishDancing Fri 24-Mar-23 11:40:35

Blossoming

Tempted to say I call a spade a spade grin

For me it depends on the shape. A spade is flat, e.g. a garden spade, whereas a shovel has curved edges, e.g. a coal shovel.

I wouldn’t dream of correcting someone else’s name for the things, how rude.

Hear hear!

Llamedos13 Fri 24-Mar-23 11:36:20

I use a snow shovel ,never a snow spade!

toscalily Fri 24-Mar-23 11:29:41

I like the idea of your blooming cement mixer FannyCornforth which particular blooms are they?

pascal30 Fri 24-Mar-23 11:28:17

Spade for gardening..shovel for building work,

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 11:24:50

It’s ironic really Yammy, as MrC was a self employed builder for 40 odd years and we have every type of building based implement, tool, gadget, widget, and gizmo known to man.
We even have a blooming concrete mixer in the garden

Yammy Fri 24-Mar-23 11:19:43

FannyCornforth

I rarely have need to refer to either (insert snooty emoji) wink

One's servants shovel the sh.... do they Fanny.smile

midgey Fri 24-Mar-23 11:18:41

Yes, a shovel can have a long handle FannyC you are right! Digging would be hard work with a shovel but shovelling is tricky with a spade grin

Yammy Fri 24-Mar-23 11:17:21

NanaDana

A spade has a flat blade, whilst a shovel has raised sides. So it's not a case of using different words for the same item. They are different items.

So I was using a shovel it was one the builders left and better for getting under the moss.grin

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 11:16:09

Sorry, eazybee I’ve just almost said word for word what you said

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 11:15:08

Does a spade have a longer handle too, or is that optional?
A spade is for digging, I suppose; and a shovel for shovelling

(This thread is strangely compelling. We should have one like this every day.)