Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Greetings Cards

(64 Posts)
Beau1958 Sun 26-Mar-23 09:56:46

I’m sitting here looking at my Mothers Day cards and I’m wondering how long do you leave your cards out on display. With all cards I usually leave them up for about a week. Im reluctant to take them down and bin them they have such nice words.

JdotJ Thu 30-Mar-23 08:04:27

One week, no more, no less

grannyqueenie Wed 29-Mar-23 16:01:21

Glad to see I’m not the only keeper of lovely cards! One day I’ll throw some away…..maybe! 🤦‍♀️

Namsnanny Wed 29-Mar-23 15:08:06

BlueBelle

I keep them up a couple of weeks but family ones are in a big box and kept for ever someone else will throw them away after I ve gone

My thoughts too

Sarah59 Wed 29-Mar-23 14:55:51

2 weeks. That’s the rule 😄👍

MrsNemo Wed 29-Mar-23 11:24:01

When moving house I cleared from the loft many boxes of cards; lovely to look through them and remember people who were no longer around, and I had even kept every card my children had been sent - birth, christening, and each birthday until they left home. It seemed wrong to throw those away as they weren't mine. I handed over the bags of cards to the AC, they looked at me in amazement - and threw them straight into the skip. My collection followed, and now I leave cards up for a week and then bin them.

henetha Wed 29-Mar-23 10:49:20

I always leave cards on display for one week. Then I keep those from loved ones, stuffed inside books, or hidden all over the place.

Ali23 Wed 29-Mar-23 08:55:54

I keep cards made by the DGC, adding them to an album of photos as they grow up.
Other cards I upcycle the fronts of the cards to make new cards if I can.

Kartush Wed 29-Mar-23 06:33:53

Depends, if they are from the grandkids I stick them on the fridge where they linger until something else takes their place. Any other cards get looked at and chucked away. Im not a great fan of cards

crazyH Tue 28-Mar-23 22:46:53

ileea - that’s interesting - a ‘talking point’ for visitors to your house….

ileea Tue 28-Mar-23 22:41:30

I have a string about 6 feet long on my wall where I hang the ones I like. They stay up until the string breaks. Usually about 10-15 years worth.

Duvetdiva Tue 28-Mar-23 20:14:19

Lovely tulips (Moonpig) had to be refashioned after about six days

Mollywolly12 Tue 28-Mar-23 19:24:04

I usually leave them up for about a week, then keep them as often my two adult daughters have made them

Welshy Tue 28-Mar-23 18:04:48

My mothers day cards I took down yesterday, so a week but I don't throw them. I have every card I've received from my son, daughter and now my grandson since they were born. For birthday, mothers day and Christmas. Off others they go in the recycling/bin.

IrishDancing Tue 28-Mar-23 17:53:21

About a week then they go into a box with other immediate family cards. I was disappointed in my flowers this year, looked beautiful for a few days but then some didn’t even open. Lovely DS sends them every year and I’m disappointed for him more than me. The worst flowers I’ve ever bought for myself were from Bloom and Wild and no response when I complained.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Mar-23 16:27:10

My lot know that I don't like cards. I won't have flowers, either (allergies) just plants for the garden. I've still to plant them - and I'm working my way through a hamper.

4allweknow Tue 28-Mar-23 16:21:42

Cards other than Christmas usually a week. This year I told famiky not to waste money on anything to do with Mother's Day. As DSs were staying over weekend they managed to sneak in a small box of chocs and a bunch of daffodils. Very reasonable gifts considering my request and the current climate.

NanaDana Tue 28-Mar-23 16:10:19

Usually about one week, then they go into the recycling. However, I do keep a small number of "precious" ones, which go into my memories box. For example handmade ones from my Grandchildren, and I even have a few from my own children, who are now both in their 50's. Yes, I'm a softy, and proud of it. smile

Lemontart Tue 28-Mar-23 16:08:11

Usually a week, except Christmas cards.

Scrappydo Tue 28-Mar-23 16:02:35

Mine are going to be up for another couple of weeks as I only received one of them yesterday, thanks to our wonderful Royal Mail. Posted in the uk 1st class on the 14th march, it made me laugh as the message on the front of the envelope said ‘not to be opened till Mother’s Day’. - what next year!

JudyBloom Tue 28-Mar-23 15:55:16

I We keep cards up for about a week or sometimes two, then they are added to a 'treasure box'. I value cards sometimes more than presents as someone has taken the trouble, not only to buy the cards but to write on them and they are so worth keeping. My late Mother kept her Birthday cards from when she was a year old and they are absolutely beautiful, like postcards in those days and it's wonderful for my Grandchildren to actually see cards with their Great-Great-Great Grandmother's writing on, kept for posterity.

nipsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 15:45:16

About 1 week or until it am dusting next.

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Mar-23 15:17:18

I'd say about two weeks for cards.
I tend to look at them a couple of times after they arrive and struggle to throw some away.
I have a collection of "lovely" ones - including some made by my children/grandchildren.

JaneA Tue 28-Mar-23 15:01:03

I dry some of my flowers and press the rest. I have some flowers that are many years old. They get changed round now and again.

Juicylucy Tue 28-Mar-23 14:59:28

In my eyes one week is enough for me.

Granmarderby10 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:49:07

Ages then into a box especially from my kids or grandchildren.
Some are just so nice 😊