Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Restaurants near Warwick/Leamington Spa

(18 Posts)
kittylester Wed 24-Jan-24 09:19:07

Has anyone any recommendations for nice places to have lunch around Warwick/Leamington Spa?

Three or four times a year we meet university friends of Dh and their wives for lunch and a good catch up. The two places we used to go have both gone a bit down hill.

I have asked before but things change and we have new members who might have other ideas.

Thank you all.

Aldom Wed 24-Jan-24 09:36:47

Cote have a restaurant in Lemington Spare. I know someone who had a family birthday meal there, last September.

Aldom Wed 24-Jan-24 09:38:42

Spa... Don't know where the 're' came from!

kittylester Wed 24-Jan-24 11:22:34

Thank you, aldom.. I was hoping to find somewhere outside the towns but we do like Cote.

Sar53 Wed 24-Jan-24 12:25:07

Kitty my eldest daughter lives in Leamington and we often go to Hilltop Farm for lunch.
I'm not exactly sure of the address but a Google search should bring it up.
It's worth having a look x

Abuelamia Wed 24-Jan-24 13:44:38

The Crabmill at Claverdon, The Baraset Barn near Stratford or The Boot at Lapworth are all nice places to eat and linger.

RosiesMaw Wed 24-Jan-24 13:51:02

I may be too late with this, but I endorse The Boot at Lapworth.
D1 and SIL held their wedding reception there and we always loved visiting it.

1summer Wed 24-Jan-24 14:19:42

La Coppola in the centre of Leamington Spa is excellent. Also just outside Warwick is the Saxon Mill which is nice and The Anchor in Leek Wootten.

kittylester Wed 24-Jan-24 17:32:08

1summer, we met at the Saxon Mill today but, quite frankly, it's not what it was and their gf offering is dire. A few thinks we asked for were unavailable - fish and chips for one.

DH used to have lunch there with his parents when he was a boy and we have eaten there,off and on, whenever we are in the area. Very sad.

We have eaten at the Boot too but it is too far for some people to travel.

I will look at all the others so thank you for your suggestions.

1summer Wed 24-Jan-24 17:43:25

kittylester

*1summer*, we met at the Saxon Mill today but, quite frankly, it's not what it was and their gf offering is dire. A few thinks we asked for were unavailable - fish and chips for one.

DH used to have lunch there with his parents when he was a boy and we have eaten there,off and on, whenever we are in the area. Very sad.

We have eaten at the Boot too but it is too far for some people to travel.

I will look at all the others so thank you for your suggestions.

Oh no, I haven’t been for a while. It did used to be very nice.

After I posted I realised I could have mentioned The Boat in Catherine de Barnes (near Solihull) if that location is Ok. My family took me for my birthday at the weekend and I thought it was the nicest meal and pub I have been to in a while.

Abuelamia Wed 24-Jan-24 18:00:34

1summer we must frequent similar restaurants, we also use the Boat at Catherine de Barnes and less recently the Saxon Mill.

kittylester Wed 24-Jan-24 19:27:20

Thank you. Solihull is not ideal as we come from North Leics, Burton on Trent and Oxfordshire. Leamington/Kenilworth/Warwickshire works well for us all.

The Saxonmill was great, as was The Moorings at Mytton but Covid seems to have had an adverse effect on both of them.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-Jan-24 22:48:45

We met friends here recently:

blackswanhenleyinarden.com/

All four of us had great meals. There was parking and a bar (which we could have de-camped to if they were busy). They weren't busy so we sat and chatted for ages at the table.

Service was attentive but not the sort that is constantly watching you.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-Jan-24 22:54:05

This is South of Lichfield and easily accessible:

The Boat, Walsall Rd, Muckley Corner WS14 0BU

theboat.restaurant/

Fabulous food.great service.

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-Jan-24 11:31:15

The black Swan (above) is an hour from Oxford and an hour from Burton and an hour from Leicester (don't know how far north you are Kitty)

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-Jan-24 11:32:20

Let us know if you discover somewhere good too please.

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-Jan-24 17:40:11

How is the hunt going Kitty?

kittylester Mon 29-Jan-24 18:23:30

We think the one in Lapworth is looking favourite up to now.