Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Seamstress of Bloomsbury

(16 Posts)
DaisyAnneReturns Sun 28-Jan-24 21:30:01

Have just discovered this shop and love what they make but have a horrible feeling about where the clothes originate.

Does anyone know anything about them?

RosiesMaw Sun 28-Jan-24 22:10:53

I suggest checking them out at Companies House to see if they are a bona fide U.K. company and perhaps more Googling or online detective work!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-Jan-24 22:29:43

A company of this name was dissolved in 2014 so possibly it’s a sole trader or partnership now. The price of the clothing is such that it’s probably made abroad or in a sweatshop in this country which doesn’t pay minimum wage. The clothes aren’t my style but if they were I wouldn’t buy from them.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 28-Jan-24 22:33:46

Thank you both. They look very well made for the price so I think I will keep an eye as it does look 'too good to be true".

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-Jan-24 23:01:06

It’s strange that the website gives no indication of who the owner is. I may well be wrong, but I seem to recall that the name of the company and VAT number should be shown. Of course what you see on the website may not be indicative of what you get, however the goods are shipped by Royal Mail so at least they’re not coming from, so hopefully won’t need to be returned to, China!

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 28-Jan-24 23:27:15

I looked at the returns policy which is slightly oddly written Germanshepherdsmum, but the returns do go back to a UK address. It sounds as if you feel about the same level of suspicion as I do - not enough to be sure but enough to wonder. Thanks for your detective work.

Cold Sun 28-Jan-24 23:39:35

There was a thread on Mumsnet about this company a couple of years ago. The bit that stuck in my head was that the company refused to say who makes the clothes when a Mumsnetter contacted them citing "company confidentiality". Makes you wonder if the clothes are imported or if it's a sweatshop?

Chestnut Sun 28-Jan-24 23:58:41

RosiesMaw

I suggest checking them out at Companies House to see if they are a bona fide U.K. company and perhaps more Googling or online detective work!

Apparently anyone in the world can set up a company at Companies House as long as they give an address in the UK. They are using addresses of other businesses and even people's home addresses. It's an absolute scandal. Companies House is not acting as an effective gatekeeper, in fact it's not fit for purpose. This was on the BBC local news, but should be much more widely reported.

Chestnut Mon 29-Jan-24 00:05:12

Why not just e-mail them at: kym@theseamstressofbloomsbury.co.uk
You'll never know unless you ask.

TinSoldier Mon 29-Jan-24 10:28:33

There's a small company called Rock 'n Romance that seems to involve the same family. Two Michael Stephens, father and son and a Charlene Johnson. Same address in Hampshire.

It looks like a they sell vintage style clothes under a number of different labels including Seamstress of Bloomsbury.

www.rocknromancevintage.com/

This on LinkedIn:

uk.linkedin.com/in/mike-stephens-b9a22014

Note: Production Chain – UK / China / HK / India

Esmay Mon 29-Jan-24 10:40:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Esmay Mon 29-Jan-24 11:35:50

I really love the vintage look and have bought clothes from sales at Collectif ,
Lady V , Lindy Bop and Pretty Kitty .

I understand that clothes made for British Retro are UK made .

M0nica Mon 29-Jan-24 12:07:09

Some of the clothing has been photographed in France. (French town houses and signs in French in the background).

Trustpilot reviews (18) are either good or bad, nothing in between.

DaisyAnneReturns Mon 29-Jan-24 18:30:00

Thank you all.

Will look at your suggestions Esmay and at patterns!

OldFrill Mon 29-Jan-24 21:37:07

M0nica

Some of the clothing has been photographed in France. (French town houses and signs in French in the background).

Trustpilot reviews (18) are either good or bad, nothing in between.

Possibly digital photography and even digital fashion photos. The models may not even be in the same country as the clothes they are wearing, let alone in the country any background suggests.
I don't trust Trustpilot having seen a company get many, many negative reviews removed.

grannyactivist Mon 29-Jan-24 21:57:44

I don’t trust Trustpilot either. I’ve been badly let down by a courier company used by John Lewis but their Trustpilot reviews are mostly glowing, however the Google ones are primarily one star and citing the same very poor delivery problems I’ve experienced myself.

I smell a rat.